Ulster V Leinster Friday 30th Sept

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster V Leinster Friday 30th Sept

Post by Big-al »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:41 am Wee dave was gobbled up like a little sparrow by VDF at the end.
Yep, Next weekend could be his last appearance in a 1st XV jersey for a while. McDonald and Doak surely we’ll ahead of him.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Big-al wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:41 am Wee dave was gobbled up like a little sparrow by VDF at the end.
Yep, Next weekend could be his last appearance in a 1st XV jersey for a while. McDonald and Doak surely we’ll ahead of him.
Back to water carrier duties.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

These days that is a red all day long. We're too nice ffs.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

kingofthehill wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:29 pm
Bobbievee wrote:KOTH........very very harsh
Rumn/Skiboo.......if you are going to fill this forum with common sense, what will become of the other posters?
Yes Sexton should have scored, and remember he was required to switch wings and thus didn't remember to keep inside arm free for hand off and outside arm for carrying.
Imo Ulster didn't deserve a win or draw ( and a strange decisions to take the 3 points with 10 minutes to go, then take Cooney off. Who was going to kick the final conversion if we had needed one?)
I don't think at any time during the 80 Leinster were worried about losing the game. We are just not as good as they are or as well resourced in player depth.but that doesn't make Us a poor team, and being second to them is not the same as being second rate.
I will go back into hibernation now.
I stand by itImage. The try line gaffe annoyed me but not as much as the other stuff. He’s had his opportunity and failed to take it unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough you're entitled to opinion and you're often right - but I do think its a bit harsh too - 2nd start on a horrible night against a team of Irish internationals and British Lions - not really one where you're allowed to grow into the game and build up your confidence - hopefully more game time allows that confidence and decision making to grow - not the first time a youngster has started poorly and hopefully he'll be like others who learn and go on to have successful careers

Worst decision on Friday night was to take Cooney off with 10 minutes remaining when we had a sniff of an unlikely draw - was never going to happen with Shanners on the pitch
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

Worst decision of the night the refusal to review the Henshaw Stockdale clash. Harsh
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Lowry on the night made about as many errors as Sexton but I don't hear anyone saying he's not a rugby player

Bobby I sense your in awe of McIroy who has all the makings of a rugby player but is lacking in the magic x to score

In five appearance Sexton has score once I believe statically that would be a better return than McIlroy

It took me some time form an opinion on McIlroy ( he's not my sort of winger -- but he ticks several boxes for defensively minded coaches ) and at the moment the jury is still out on Sexton
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

rumncoke wrote:Lowry on the night made about as many errors as Sexton but I don't hear anyone saying he's not a rugby player

Bobby I sense your in awe of McIroy who has all the makings of a rugby player but is lacking in the magic x to score

In five appearance Sexton has score once I believe statically that would be a better return than McIlroy

It took me some time form an opinion on McIlroy ( he's not my sort of winger -- but he ticks several boxes for defensively minded coaches ) and at the moment the jury is still out on Sexton
Lowry was poor,arguably his worst outing in an ulster shirt.

I hope I’m wrong on Sexton but I really can’t see him getting another opportunity for some time. If I was picking a team and had players like Gilroy and Lyttle waiting in the wings I know who I would be picking. At the same time they keep picking Matty Rea so he might get lucky and have 9 lives.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Gilroy is a yesterday man and Lyttle Like Gilroy is a known quantity How long Sexton gets to prove a point depends how long Stockdale is out .

It may be for a while if, as I suspect, it is an Achilles problem -- because an early return could make the problem worse .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:16 pm I remember folk writing off Stockdale after a few games. He can't tackle, catch etc.... He was too slow. Did he guff a try once? Sexton too fast maybe? As in too much expected of him. He has maybe given up a decent track career. Running at 10.4 aged 19, he could have had a crack an the Irish 100m record.

I don't know if he will make it but he is worth a punt considering his obvious strengths. Starting against Leinster in his second start is a jump too high, imo. The nerves, pressure, adrenaline will take some getting used to. He needs gametime at a level above AIL. Perhaps if there was some 2 bit tour he could have went on? The need for a proper second tier competition should be higher on the agenda. Even that combo league that was suggested would help.

It's potentially unreasonable for a young player to be expected to slip into a windy, wet evening and excel against Leinster. I would say put the knives away lads. Let's not eat our own young.

Tuck into Matty Rea. Hard to believe he and Marcus share any DNA.

Leave Matty alone. He has done a great job.....
building his house
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Bart S wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 pm
Dave wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:16 pm I remember folk writing off Stockdale after a few games. He can't tackle, catch etc.... He was too slow. Did he guff a try once? Sexton too fast maybe? As in too much expected of him. He has maybe given up a decent track career. Running at 10.4 aged 19, he could have had a crack an the Irish 100m record.

I don't know if he will make it but he is worth a punt considering his obvious strengths. Starting against Leinster in his second start is a jump too high, imo. The nerves, pressure, adrenaline will take some getting used to. He needs gametime at a level above AIL. Perhaps if there was some 2 bit tour he could have went on? The need for a proper second tier competition should be higher on the agenda. Even that combo league that was suggested would help.

It's potentially unreasonable for a young player to be expected to slip into a windy, wet evening and excel against Leinster. I would say put the knives away lads. Let's not eat our own young.

Tuck into Matty Rea. Hard to believe he and Marcus share any DNA.

Leave Matty alone. He has done a great job.....
building his house
That is a man who is clearly stealing a living if he’s able to build a house like that.
I detest people who boast about their possessions in the media or social media but this is a gobshite who most definitely has not earned his corn, yet in a time of drastic hardship for many, he thinks it’s a good idea to show off his fancy house.
The sooner the UR management get this @rsehole off the payroll, the better as far as I’m concerned.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:57 pm Gilroy is a yesterday man and Lyttle Like Gilroy is a known quantity How long Sexton gets to prove a point depends how long Stockdale is out .

It may be for a while if, as I suspect, it is an Achilles problem -- because an early return could make the problem worse .
Gilroy may be yesterdays man, so is Dave Kearney and in a slugfest like Friday night, he’s more than adequate.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

So a few thoughts- any kind of comeback from 17 down in those conditions was a glass half full / empty situation. We appeared at times to overplay, and those pop passes etc must’ve been like a bar of soap. Lein pack squeezed us with their defence, and we were forcing it, unnecessarily. The big miss for me was DV at 8. Those excellent basics of tidying rucks, not knocking on, getting into mauls etc - his low error count was missed, and we turned over too much ball as a result, which was a killer in those conditions.
I’d be interested to know what’s going on with Jordie as sorry to say Mattie at 6 for me isn’t cutting it. Where’s Sheridan? Only seen very very little but for a pup he’s physical-hopefully they are conditioning him, and we see him get a few starts to see where he’s at.

So Mr Sexton: Poor error re try placement, poorer error re quick throw in to Stockdale who got turned over. Yep he has put the handbrake on (open space v scarlets he slowed for support rather than go full throttle against 2 unorganised defenders). Dreadful conditions, easy to drift in and out as a winger, and yes your basics are shown up. The lad will feel bad, I’m happy to back giving him more exposure It’s a gamble worth taking. Hopefully his confidence doesn’t take a knock-next time in open space feck looking for support put the afterburners on and show his point of difference.
Frustrating night without doubt, but a while ago, their wouldn’t have been a bp from UR. Would’ve been a tricky kick to get that draw by the way.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Stockdale called for the quick throw and should have kicked it. Other tmo/refs would have given said non try. However there is nothing that can't be fixed there.

The main issue for him is tackling. If he can't sort that out then he will not get far in this ulster side. Previous sides, no problem. Of course Billy Burns detractors may disagree.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dharper wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:41 am Would’ve been a tricky kick to get that draw by the way.
It was 10-20 at that point. If that try had been given we were still in a position to go for the win with or without the 2 pts.
Last edited by big mervyn on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Ulster V Leinster Friday 30th Sept

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:Stockdale called for the quick throw and should have kicked it. Other tmo/refs would have given said non try. However there is nothing that can't be fixed there.

The main issue for him is tackling. If he can't sort that out then he will not get far in this ulster side. Previous sides, no problem. Of course Billy Burns detractors may disagree.
Whether Stockdale called it or not is besides the point. Wet,horrible night and we have arguably the best lineout/maul in the league.

Collecting high balls worries me. He doesn’t own the space for such a tall guy.

He just looks like a rabbit in the heads light with and without the ball.

I really hope in time people can come back to me and say ‘I told you so’ Image

Last edited by kingofthehill on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The King is dead. Long live the King.