Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

SUFTUM_19
Novice

Re: Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Bart S wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:45 pm Moore being tested to allow for more options to have a 6/2 bench split for the next couple of games?
I don’t think we have the forwards to have an effective 6/2 split. No.20 is definitely the shirt up for grabs, imo it’s McCann, but Murphy is a proven international, Dan seems to like Matty Rea and Jones to a certain extent too, Reffell is unknown. Imo back row is the position where we don’t want any injuries because there is a drop off after Marcus Rea, Timoney and Vermeulen. Absolutely baffles me why we got rid of Sean Reidy - absolutely outstanding player.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Reidy was best from the bench and Matty Rea best left in the changing room.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:44 pm
My thinking is that McFarlane believes the backs are as good if not better than Leinster

HE trusts the Ulster set scrum can hold its own
I agree with most of that but I don't think anyone could say we are confidently better in the backs. We are clearly better at 12 but that's it. All other positions are advantage leinster or roughly a draw (9 and 10 debatable either way).

Looking forward to it notwithstanding my reservations about the selection. Have bet on ulster for the first time in years cos why not.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I am really looking forward to a very competitive match. Ulster are certainly on a par with Leinster at the moment. Very little between the players picked for this evening.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Do we want to be winning at half time? Ponder and discuss at half time. Currently in bed but we are heading out shortly for a stroll into Dalkey to get the Irish Times & Irish Independent while my host/cousin cooks breakfast as usual. Slainte
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Where did you get the second hand cousin?

I don't remember seeing the thread.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:34 am I am really looking forward to a very competitive match. Ulster are certainly on a par with Leinster at the moment. Very little between the players picked for this evening.
You're being a little kind I think but we'll take it. Great to see we're sending a near full strength team down to have a go.

Nothing worse than the top two in the league meeting and we send down the Forlorn hope.

Looks like McFarland has tried to get anyone involved with an Ireland, Ireland A or Emerging Ireland team on the pitch. Then hopefully told them if you want to hold your hand up for a World Cup place do it tonight, I've gave you the opportunity.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Despite all of the Irish talent on show it was Jenkins that punctured ourselves at home. When he went off and Carter came on the game at Ravenhill turned on its head.

Leinster look to have frightening forward impact from the bench. We're not to shabby ourselves in Herring and O'Toole upfront. With Carter (on this seasons form) and DV8 to come on, there is optimism for parity if Leinster do not play to full potential.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My feel on the Leinster selection is

Leo expects Ulster to hold leinster for 55 mins -- then he brings on his Front Row to exploit the Line outs in the corner for next 15 minutes as the referee responds Leinster arm waving to provide the necessary penalties.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

SUFTUM_19 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:24 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:24 pm
allezlesverres wrote:I'm calling this one early. That's a completely mental selection. In no way is Henderson up to the task of playing 6 anymore. He is an out and out lock and has been for many years now. There was a time when he was younger and lighter that we all wanted to see more of him at 6 because he was brilliant there but those days are long gone and he is no longer mobile enough to cover the requirements of playing 6. We will have mid field gaps all over the show and will get turned over in contact because of the lack of mobility caused by playing him at 6. And much though I like Stew why is he on the wing? Ross Byrne is a good kicker and will test Moore's positioning all night in an unfamiliar position and he'll have to deal with high kicks being contested by decent Leinster outside backs who are in the main, pretty decent under a high ball. Madness.
Out of interest-maybe for another thread but what is Ulsters strongest team? Does selection depend on who they are playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would say Sutherland, Herring, Moore, AOC, Hendy, Mar Rea, Timoney, Vermeulen, Cooney, Burns, Stockdale (on form), McCloskey, Hume, Baloucoune, Lowry
Subs - Stewart, Warwick, O’Toole, Treadwell, McCann, Doak, Marshall, Addison.

On current form McIlroy and Moore probably deserve to be in and around there.
John Andrew has done little wrong either (or has he?) and would be disappointed not to be included, but I doubt even he could argue against Stewart's inclusion ahead of him now. Andrew has always done well when called upon, but Stewart is now deservedly in front of him.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Surely that was a knock on ffs. Pen straight away after it.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Young ref, making the mistake that the top ranked team at home must get the 50 50 decisions.

That's a non penalty against McCloskey, Lowe was pulling him.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Late hit by Lowe on Moore
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor