Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Post by StandUp »

Big-al wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:38 pm
thecrouch wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:15 pm I have become desensitised to Ulster doing an Ulster and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Usually teams learn from their mistakes, but how many times now have we mentally flopped when the going gets tough? I don't know how this can be fixed, it's like a deficiency embedded within the club itself. Maybe we need to call an exorcist or something, it's ridiculous at this stage.
Ulster will be bottling games like this until someone comes in and pushes Burns out of the side.
I think a lot of people have a gurn about that post Al, but I agree with you. I just don’t know where that player will come from, but we need him sooner than later. Ulster need a 10 who can pin teams back and mix up his game to keep teams guessing. Burns is a decent squad player, but he isn’t a first choice fly half by any means.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

To add, I don’t think it was Burns’ fault that Ulster bottled that game. But he added to the problem.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

StandUp wrote:
Big-al wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:38 pm
thecrouch wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:15 pm I have become desensitised to Ulster doing an Ulster and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Usually teams learn from their mistakes, but how many times now have we mentally flopped when the going gets tough? I don't know how this can be fixed, it's like a deficiency embedded within the club itself. Maybe we need to call an exorcist or something, it's ridiculous at this stage.
Ulster will be bottling games like this until someone comes in and pushes Burns out of the side.
I think a lot of people have a gurn about that post Al, but I agree with you. I just don’t know where that player will come from, but we need him sooner than later. Ulster need a 10 who can pin teams back and mix up his game to keep teams guessing. Burns is a decent squad player, but he isn’t a first choice fly half by any means.
Yes ulster need a 10, we also need a prop, a 2nd row and at least 2 back rows. A backline that is not always somewhere between the surgeons knife and rehab table would be nice also.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

And a few leaders who are capable of recognising when the game plan needs changing in reaction to what is happening on the pitch.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

StandUp wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:47 pm And a few leaders who are capable of recognising when the game plan needs changing in reaction to what is happening on the pitch.
Halfbacks are supposed to be the tactical leaders in any side. Leaders show leadership, but you can’t expect a forward to tell the flyhalf when to kick, just like you can’t expect a flyhalf to be able to advise the locks/hooker what the best lineout throw is.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Whether viewed as an elbow or stiff forearm to the head/throat/jaw - it was red all day. Ref bottled a double red. Ridiculous.
We are pretty disciplined but also for me…..far too nice.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

👍
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Big-al wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:16 pm
StandUp wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:47 pm And a few leaders who are capable of recognising when the game plan needs changing in reaction to what is happening on the pitch.
Halfbacks are supposed to be the tactical leaders in any side. Leaders show leadership, but you can’t expect a forward to tell the flyhalf when to kick, just like you can’t expect a flyhalf to be able to advise the locks/hooker what the best lineout throw is.
Clearly tactical leaders are iportant but what Ulster need is a leader who can get heads up and bottle back, who can get the rest of the team angry and working together and refusing to take a step back.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Couldn't help noticing the difference between Leinster's close to the line bombardment in threes and fours with Ulster's slow paced, single player efforts.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

solidarity wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:45 pm Couldn't help noticing the difference between Leinster's close to the line bombardment in threes and fours with Ulster's slow paced, single player efforts.
And often the player supporting the ball carrying, slips to his side to offer a block for another opposition player to assist with the tackle. They are masters at it.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

solidarity wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:43 pm
Big-al wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:16 pm
Clearly tactical leaders are iportant but what Ulster need is a leader who can get heads up and bottle back, who can get the rest of the team angry and working together and refusing to take a step back.
That’s what every team is looking for though and they don’t come around very often unfortunately.

Even if you’re lucky enough to find one, he’s not necessarily a silver bullet.

Sean Gregan is the only bloke who fits that category in my 35 years watching Preston and that still only got us as far as a League 1 title and a Championship play-off final.

Played in the number 6 shirt and no doubt would have done at rugby too.

Nearest I’ve come to a man crush (with all due respect to 2MP).
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Just watched the "Highlights "

Timoney Yellow should actually have been a penalty for Ulster --

Why three Leinster players had broken through the Ulster Maul and were advancing bound unopposed

The ball carrier was blocked from being tackled by two players from being tackled from the side and was tackle by Timoney from behind

leinster were on a Calvery Charge and were Guilty of Blocking there was no maul .

The first two calls by the referee should have warned Ulster a bit -- the first was a call for a knock on -- which he decided was back and the second was actually right which was off-side against Ulster but one which if the game had been at Ravenhill might not have been given
but should have . ( if you perceive the difference)

And Ringrose deliberately reported the head clash against Hume who attempted an ill prepared Tackle when Ringrose turn into him and side-stepped inside Moore.

His two trys actually highlight the Ringrose strength and weakness -- he has a dangerous side step and frequently fails to pass the ball out.

Moore's timing of his pass to McIlroy was something seldom seen from Ringrose
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

The thing I couldn't figure out about Lowe knocking Cooney out with his forearm is, never mind a card, the ref didn't even give a penalty. It was exactly the same offence as the one Andy Warwick got sent off for, coincidentally also against Leinster, but with a higher degree of danger as Cooney was out cold.

Meanwhile Hume gets yellow-carded for Ringrose turning into him unexpectedly, which did involve head contact but with a lower degree of danger than Lowe on Cooney, and Timoney gets yellow carded for bringing down a maul that wasn't even a maul anymore. We'd already lost control of the match by that point, and we do need to learn not to do that, but we might have held on if we hadn't been reduced to 13.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

If Healy hadn't already been red carded, Lowe's elbow charge would have been looked at a lot more closely. The ref would not have been keen to give 2 red cards as it would have suggested he let the game get out of his control so he was quick to chalk it off as a rugby incident. For my money it was a clear red - clearer than the other one. There was clear separation from the ball/body and there was substantial force applied to the jaw. It was much much worse than Andy Warwick's one.

But that's got nothing to do with the outcome of the game. The ref could have carded half the leinster backs and Ulster would have still managed to basket-case it.
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

Maybe we do not intimidate referees enough. It has unfortunately crept into the game just look at how the Lienster players harranged the ref on Saturday at every call not just what might be called disputed. Humes yellow was straight out of such an appeal meanwhile Ulster players were more concerned about Cooney than get a review out of the ref after play eventually stopped even though he had brushed them off.
I thought the ref had generally a good game but there were 3 decisions which went very much against Ulster were key to the game and the result. Two yellow cards and the assault against Cooney.