I can tell you how but....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I dunno, i think Wallace needs to be moved to 10 asap if we are gonna have a chance next season.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Agreed LKOTP, well mostly, except:
• Paddy now! We are out of the ERC. Not mathematically, but we're out.
• Defence has been generally good this season
• We need to learn from Munster & Leinster about how to win, or not lose tough games.
• I simply think our coaching is second division at best.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Good analysis LKOTP.

While winning this Friday may be needed to bolster the team psychologically and preventing the season going into a tailspin, I can't see that it will tell us very much.

We know that Ulster can perform in their comfort zone at Ravenhill... we still won't know what it will take to do it away.

Personally, I'd bring in Wallace for DH... if nothing else, it may leave LI guessing at how Ulster will play (although the Ulster team may be guessing as well :lol: )

Call me a heretic, but if you look back over Hump's playing career, he simply doesn't have a record of winning against top class opposition away from home - in either a green or white jersey. The only one I could think of was kicking the winning penalty against France in 2000 and even then he was only on for the last 25 or so mins after BOD had scored his hattrick.
Last edited by mikerob on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I agree Humph has always been an Ulster hero. He has bags of talent and is an incredibly exciting player. But nerves get to him, He nearly cost us in Swansea last season before that drop goal. I wouldn't be annoyed to see him start because i know he still has lots to offer us but we need to start looking to next season, and if Wallace is only getting game time at 10 in mediocre heiney games how will he cope when we go away to the big fellas? We could be in the same situation in a years time. :(
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Post by the original kimble »

Belfast Tele: Saturday morning; Comment by Peter Bills

From the master, a message.

Paddy Wallace, says Ollie Campbell, has a significant, serious problem. He desperately needs to be playing match after match, season after season, year following year at outside half. He cannot make the necessary progress without experience.

The Ulsterman’s performance against PI has highlighted a serious potential. But Campbell, one of Irelands greatest outside halves, says that the development of Ronan O’Gara proves conclusively his point.

“Ronan is playing the rugby of his life. But look at how many years he has played regularly in the No 10 jersey to get to that stage. I have always thought that outside half, more than any other on the field, demands a long apprenticeship. Having the opportunity to play there on a regular basis is essential to Wallace’s own personal development and it is also crucial from the IRFU’s point of view. Having their second choice No 10 not playing in the role each week is a matter of concern.”

He, (Campbell) goes on to say that we should not read to much into Paddy’s display against the PI but that his confidence will have grown immensely from playing the whole match. He also recommends that Ulster start playing him at No 10, although acknowledging making that decision is not an easy one with Humph having been such a superb player. Not the past tense.

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co
veritas
Novice

Post by veritas »

Think Humph has to stay in there until we are out - and I think we will still be alive against Scarlets at least.But that means Wallace out of the centre- his tackling and ball distribution there are a liability.Once we are out of HEC then Wallace into No10 for rest of season - for better or worse.Personally I think he will be a disaster when the crunch comes but there is only one way to find out.
Munsterboy
Novice

Post by Munsterboy »

veritas wrote:Think Humph has to stay in there until we are out - and I think we will still be alive against Scarlets at least.But that means Wallace out of the centre- his tackling and ball distribution there are a liability.Once we are out of HEC then Wallace into No10 for rest of season - for better or worse.Personally I think he will be a disaster when the crunch comes but there is only one way to find out.
I think that's a strange attitude Veritas. You want to wait 'til you're out and then give Wallace a run in a meaningless game or two? What good would that do you? If you think you're gonna get knocked out with Humphreys in the OH slot then why not give Wallace a chance before that happens. Who knows, maybe he'll pull it out of the bag. LI were playing with a 20 year old at 10 and it paid off for them.
Humphreys is a fading force. It's time to bite the bullet and give the younger man a chance to prove himself. Steinmetz will be there to help Wallace out in the way that Catt was for Geraghty on Saturday and Trimble would get more involved at 13 than he does on the wing.

Can anybody tell me why Humphreys didn't put a few chips over the rush defence? He didn't make them think twice all day.
We're all red on the inside.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Munsterboy wrote:
Can anybody tell me why Humphreys didn't put a few chips over the rush defence? He didn't make them think twice all day.
Who knows but himself, there were 4 or 5 k more of us thinking the same on Saturday :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Humph cannot go on for ever. We are effectively out of Europe, so now is the time for Paddy to step up and not just for a game or two. By the end of the season we will know, or our management will know if Paddy looks like the genuine article or if we need to look elsewhere. Personally I hope (and believe) that he will make the grade, but if he doesn’t get a proper shot how will anyone know.
The World Cup is just around the corner and if O’Gara gets crocked Ireland are stuffed without a 10 that plays at 10. If Eddie thinks he is going to call on Humph for the RWC and get a reply of ‘well OK then’ he had better think again. Humph is not a man to take a decision lightly or go back on one. I would be shocked if Humph declares himself available. What can we lose by playing Paddy at 10? He has had one game in that position this season and played a blinder. Give him a break and rest the legend.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

LI have had their fair share of ‘bad days at the office’, I watched their game against Cardiff, and based on that performance Ulster should have wiped the floor with them on Saturday, but they pulled themselves back from that and won fair and square, and more credit to them for doing just that.

Agree with a lot that has already been said, they studied the Ulster game plan and played to it, for me there weren’t a lot of (Ulster) people doing their job last Saturday on, and to a degree off, the field.

LI played blitz defence, IMO offside a huge amount of the time, but played it well, why did Humph not do what he has done so well in the past, use that blitz defence to chip or put the ball well over their heads and get them on the back foot, cup rugby is all about pressure, and pressure tactics, mistakes will come eventually if enough pressure is applied.

On the reverse, Ulster’s blitz defence tactic saw Geraghty do just that!

What also beats me is the simple mathematics of two LI players in the bin for what, about 8 minutes or so together? The bin ruling gives that most simple of options on numbers, draw them into a rolling maul and have numbers advantage outside, let the opposition move players out into the defence line for cover, and have an advantage up front, then again maybe I missed the point somewhere?!

I don’t think it’s time for any knee jerking though in relation to team, but think Trimble should be pulled back into the centre, with Humph left at OH.

On the upside there are still 15 points to play for!!

Friday night has to provide a platform for Ulster to answer their fans, and critics, show us a bit of the grit and flair we know you are capable of.

I watched the match in Dublin, with a few Leinster lads before the Agen game, they were rooting for Ulster too and were amazed at the team’s performance, a lot of eyes on you this week Ulster, get it right this time!!!

Well done both Munster and Leinster on their wins at the weekend, Munster have got it right when it comes to ERC, the ML is a great league, well worth supporting and contesting, but European Cup Rugby is what it’s all about at the end of the day, is it not?
"Cheer up" he said "It could get worse", so I cheered up, and it got worse...
veritas
Novice

Post by veritas »

Munsterboy if we go out this weekend Wallace can have 13 games at OH before the end of the season.If we go out against Llanelli 9 and if against Toulouse 8.If we are still in then you will be glad to have Humph at 10.The bottom line is it is still in Ulster's best interests to have Humph at OH as he gives us the best chance of winning - I understand that is my opinion but I just do not rate Wallace at all,think he will choke.I agree GerryO that Humph cannot go on forever but the time for change is when we are out not effectively out.In any event whatever team plays Friday night the key has to be to increase the noise levels from the supporters.
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

I agree totally about the chipping option. Coaches are so devoted to total
ball retention theory that they forget that a chip or a grubber, used wisely can be devastating.

Reference has been made to mental fragility; this too is a feature I would like to see addressed in these intervening days.

If I am correct we have seen Leinster implode twice [v Perpignan and Munster] and Toulouse implode twice [v Leinster and Ulster] so we do not have sole rights in that department.

Here's a thought, is the pack really up to it?
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

GLENN CORNICK wrote:

If I am correct we have seen Leinster implode twice [v Perpignan and Munster]
I'd add the QF against Leicester a couple of years ago to Leinster's list - but at least they got to the knock-out stages!

In fact, Leinster has an amazing away record against English clubs - they've won all their group matches away in England for the last 7 years...
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Last Knight

Sorry! I should have said that your original posting also reflects totally the frustration.
horslips
Initiate

Post by horslips »

Agree with previous comments. PW needs to come infield now. He has a decent turn of speed, good off either foot and competent with his kicks. It might just make LI pause for thought and give a bit of space outside.

Off course with McCall under more pressure than I can recall at any other time in his career he is more likely to do an "Eddie" and go for the same old. Bear in mind that Wallace was the player that only a few months ago spent most of his time playing for Ballymena and watching Ulster from the terrace. What changed? This really worries me because it does not suggest that the coach had a clear and objective view of his squad and the potential of the players within it. With this thought in mind I do not see a particularly bright future for us.