Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:35 pm
fermain wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:00 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:59 pm We deserve to lose this.
disagree
Correct, we were the better team, always left the game open by taking points from penalties in 1st half rather than pressing advantage home. Always left it so that Munster had a sniff.

Better team lost, smarter team won.

Moore injury looks season ending, if so season ending for Ulster also. Penalty conceded of 1st scrum immediately after he went off.
Sorry Uno9, the smarter team is the better team... :scratch:

Agreed- Long term Loss of Moore could be season changing
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exterminate all rational thought
Columbo
Steward

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Columbo »

StandUp wrote:UR representation at 6N will be pretty thin.
And thank goodness for that, from Irelands POV!
..one more thing
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:39 pm
solidarity wrote: Thought Billy Burns wasn't bad.
What do you expect to see from an outhalf?

He doesn't kick, he lets his scrumhalves do that for him. He doesn't tackle, he hides on the wing and even then doesn't make the tackle, BB saved him on at least one occasion tonight. He doesn't control. He doesn't tactical kick. He doesn't even stand at first receiver half the time.

There is more wrong in the setup than Billy. But if he is the best we can hope for, we deserve to win nothing, ever.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I think Stu might have kicked more than Burns tonight. Speaks volumes.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:38 pm Anyone know the penalty count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ulster 9, Munster 10 according to UR
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:39 pm
solidarity wrote: Thought Billy Burns wasn't bad.
What do you expect to see from an outhalf?

He doesn't kick, he lets his scrumhalves do that for him. He doesn't tackle, he hides on the wing and even then doesn't make the tackle, BB saved him on at least one occasion tonight. He doesn't control. He doesn't tactical kick. He doesn't even stand at first receiver half the time.

There is more wrong in the setup than Billy. But if he is the best we can hope for, we deserve to win nothing, ever.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
+1. It took McCloskey to unlock Turnips with a pass of PJ style vision. Isnt that what a 10s for?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:41 pm
disagree
We were the better team, always left the game open by taking points from penalties in 1st half rather than pressing advantage home. Always left it so that Munster had a sniff.

Moore injury looks season ending, if so season ending for Ulster also. Penalty conceded of 1st scrum immediately after he went off.

Long term Loss of Moore could be season changing
We dominated for most of the match, Munster managed the game much better, and made the most of opportunities given.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:35 pm
solidarity wrote:
Columbo wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:22 pm Absolutely SHOCKING game management in the final quarter - AGAIN. Appalling loss of composure in defence under pressure - AGAIN. Almost NO cutting edge in attack - AGAIN.

Tragic to watch
Yep. Absolutely.
No real structure.
No bottle.
Defensive cohesion on the line pretty good but elswhere, dreadful.
Can't agree with others that Tom Stewart is the bee's knees. His one-man breaks too often just get him isolated.
How can we lose the ball or give away a penalty so often when taking it into contact?
What's the point of throwing to Jones in the lineout? That's at least one of the reasions we lose so many lineouts in the opposition 22. There are others.
Stockdale wasn't at the match.
Bobby Baloucoune the best of our fifteen, and not for the try.
Thought Billy Burns wasn't bad.
Lineout was brutal. Tom Stewart is a belter but needs to sort those pressure lineouts put esp in scoring positions.

Moore going off and Gareth M coming on Image

Interpro lineous are always a bit more of a contest.
But Stewart is a liability.

Could we all chip.in and buy Stockdale a ball to practice with while he's injured?

Burns - I'm not sure I see the point.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:29 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote:
fermain wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:11 pm No we didnt deserve to lose it, thats way too negative. We didnt play well, but we played as good if not better than Munster so why did we desreve to lose? I just don't get it.

I'm by no means in the Ulster are brill brigade, but nor will I criticise like 1F when we have a few bad games. :red:
Fermain, those last 10 encapsulate exactly why we deserved to lose. Spineless, clueless, no fight. 2 Lions and a World Cup winner versys Turnips B and C. This trajectory has been apparent from close to end of last season with the odd decent performance masking the rot underneath. Mcfarlands coaching team are unable to take this team further. What's new to refresh a tired message? We're certainly not fighting for every inch.
Sure Dinger is new. Be careful what you wish for.

Dingers hardly new. Semantics. I doubt I wish for a clueless defence. Ok KOH/ Fermain, what's the answer?

Given we are a professional "franchise" are these performances acceptable to our "share" and stakeholders? This coaching ticket is not getting the best from its resources and investments. How many more full houses will we get after tonight with rot like that?
Genuinely don’t know CI Image

Doesn’t seem that long ago that we were having a cracking 38mins against Leinster (albeit to fold).

Discipline and defence is killing us at the minute. No doubt about it, a lot of it is school boy stuff.

The worry for me is how mentally fragile the players are. Rugby is a confidence game and whatever has happened since the 2nd half in the Leinster game has really hurt us.

Going forward I would like to see Ulster play a fairly settled team for a while. Burns in and out with injuries doesn’t help a team.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Stevie Wonder could’ve seen that one coming.

Just shows the difference in mentality between the two sides. Munster, even though they’re not in great form atm, just have this mentality to win games they need to win. It’s vintage Munster - pressure on, must win game, backs against the wall, they tend to deliver.

Ulster on the other hand showed their mentality with another game lost in the last minute. when the pressure comes on we are crumble. Thought that defensive set at the end of the first half would be a catalyst, but it’s the hope that kills you. The fact is we’re one missed conversion away from going 0 from 5.

Our defence has been very poor all season, but what’s most frustrating is the complete lack of attack. We were such a dangerous team last season in attack, we scored some great tries from deep. This season we just look completely unable to attack from deep, pretty much all of our tries come from us starting inside the opposition 22, either mauls or pick and goes. Maybe that’s an intentional evolution in our game but I think it’s more likely that our backs who were on fire last season just aren’t at the races so far.

I’m not one for knee jerk reactions and McFarland has taken us a long way, but the coaching team need to have a serious look at themselves cos there is a very clear underlying problem in our mentality and bottle and we will not be serious contenders for silverware till we sort this out. Another very deflating result.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Burns in doesn’t help a team.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:46 pm
disagree
We were the better team, always left the game open by taking points from penalties in 1st half rather than pressing advantage home. Always left it so that Munster had a sniff.

We dominated for most of the match, Munster managed the game much better, and made the most of opportunities given.
And that's my point- hence they were the better team. In Pro rugby the scoreboard rarely lies.
I suspect most of us knew it would play out this way- and I'm no John Dee.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

fermain wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:38 pm Anyone know the penalty count?

Ulster 9, Munster 10 according to UR
Maybe it’s just where the penalties are given or when. We seem to get really punished from them.

Just feels like we aren’t getting the rub of the green at times.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Hmm…..

So the best player on the pitch under the high ball was Haley……so we kept box kicking to him, handing possession over with little territorial gain. In the first half McCloskey and Moore kicked in behind, pinning Munster deep and putting pressure under their very makeshift lineout…..we got rewards from it……then stopped. Clearly a poor planned tactic by management, we handed over possession and lost the territorial game.

MMs injury is a disaster.
Once Cooney goes off the pitch we lose all meaningful game management. Hume Stockdale and RB will get better with gametime.

Bench did very little.
Reffell looked handy, busy, but whereby a bit of a breakdown nuisance, was no real threat. Tidied up restarts, but looks a little small. UR could do with 2 new backrows next yr at least (Jordi and DV out of contract).

Kitschoff can’t get here quick enough…..soft front 5 in replacements.

For me overall this result was a tactical issue, that game was winnable by just having a sensible kicking strategy. I’d. Also be on the phone to Nick Williams…..asking if he had any nephews/cousins available in the backrow.
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

That’s very harsh on Stewart, who was a bright spot and is an exceptional player.. our lineout has always been prone to yips, back to the days of Besty..

More broadly solidarity kind of nails it, few sports are as structure-based as rugby, and the really strong sides are those where the a) the structures are good (ie well-conceived by the coaches to the advantage of the group of players) and b) the players buy in to the extent that they become second nature (think of Irelands defence under Farrell). We’re currently playing as if not only do the players not buy into whatever game plan we’re trying to impose, but they’ve never even heard of it. So not surprising that we go to pieces under any kind of pressure - and means that pointing the finger at this player or that player completely misses the point IMO..
..one more thing
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:51 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:46 pm

disagree

And that's my point- hence they were the better team. In Pro rugby the scoreboard rarely lies.
I suspect most of us knew it would play out this way- and I'm no John Dee.
Null point.

Correct on 2nd part, stevie wonder on a galloping horse would of seen that
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18