And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:22 pm Pele.
Whtever you think of wendyball, he truly was worthy of that much overused word, legend. Strange that the incident I remember best wss this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c , not one of his goals. Greatest ever...

... although he was no George Best of course.
I lost respect for Edson Arantes do Nascimento when having stated unequivocally that George Best was THE best player in the world but later wouldn't even acknowledge him as in the top 20.

Of course Pele was a true great - probably in the top 2, but if George had played for a team that went to major championships more often, there would have been no denying he was #1

RIP Pele though - the 2nd best player ever to grace a football pitch.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Vivienne Westwood RIP
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Whtever you think of wendyball, he truly was worthy of that much overused word, legend. Strange that the incident I remember best wss this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c , not one of his goals. Greatest ever...

Pele has passed.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Kicked the bucket.

And still managed to send the keeper the wrong way.

GOAT.

With Sir Tom a close second.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:17 am Vivienne Westwood RIP
Be honest JV, did you mean the RIP pun?

Great in her day... but no George Best.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:25 am Kicked the bucket.

And still managed to send the keeper the wrong way.
I hate that term, "sent the keeper the wrong way"

Very few players have the ability to send the keeper the wrong way. Mostly they just choose a side to go to and hope for the best.

If they get it right, they're a hero, but if they have the nerve tio stand up straight, they'd make a lot more saves from the kicks that go straight down the middle. They look a bit of an ass if they stay standing up and don't appear to make an effort though . . . but at least they wouldn't "be sent the wrong way".
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:28 pm
jean valjean wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:17 am Vivienne Westwood RIP
Be honest JV, did you mean the RIP pun?

Great in her day... but no George Best.
The Alan Partridge spoof was comedy gold.

Why do so many famous people seem to die at Xmas. John Bird's comedy partner John Fortune exited stage left on this day 9 years ago.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Pope Benedict has shuffled off his mortal coil. 95 is not a bad innings. Speaks highly for the Mediterranean diet.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:18 pm

I lost respect for Edson Arantes do Nascimento when having stated unequivocally that George Best was THE best player in the world but later wouldn't even acknowledge him as in the top 20.
To be fair to oul' Edson, years ago I and some other editors on Wikipedia tried to find a source for Pelé saying George was the Best player he'd ever seen play. We all knew he'd said it, but Wikipedia demands sources. And all we could find was George himself claiming Pelé had said it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

paddybrown wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:54 pm

To be fair to oul' Edson, years ago I and some other editors on Wikipedia tried to find a source for Pelé saying George was the Best player he'd ever seen play. We all knew he'd said it, but Wikipedia demands sources. And all we could find was George himself claiming Pelé had said it.
Probably a bit like the Jimi Hendrix "quote" about Rory Gallagher being the "greatest guitar player in the world", not that Rory would have claimed that he said it.

Some say that Jimi was such a nice humble guy that he probably said it about several guitarists over the years to appease the interviewer!
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

paddybrown wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:54 pm

If George said it, that's good enough for me. :lol:

Wasn't on that Terry Wogan interview was it? :duck: :stout: >drinks >happyparty :drunken:

Anyway you should have quoted me on Wiki - aul Pele and me were best mates for a while - had each other on transatlantic speed dial - called each other up at least once a week, and he told me hisself that our Georgie boy was the Best-est. :cheers:

In 58 in Sweden when he played his first World Cup he was so nervous he was on the phone to me every other day - and I wasn't even born until the following year - that's how close we were.. >EW
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Jetstream wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:58 am Pope Benedict has shuffled off his mortal coil. 95 is not a bad innings. Speaks highly for the Mediterranean diet.
Poped his clogs.

Med diet. Was he not a sausage muncher?

Will we ever find out why the Vatican locked him up for 10 ýears?
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:09 am
Jetstream wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:58 am Pope Benedict has shuffled off his mortal coil. 95 is not a bad innings. Speaks highly for the Mediterranean diet.
Poped his clogs.

Med diet. Was he not a sausage muncher?

Will we ever find out why the Vatican locked him up for 10 ýears?
Domentia?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Was he wearing red socks? Looked like it on the tv news.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Dublin4 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:07 pm Was he wearing red socks? Looked like it on the tv news.
Of coure he was and any pictures showing different have been doctored by the Jesuits/ Mossad/ CIA/ SVR/ Mafia/ Orange Order.