Benetton v Ulster Saturday January 7 1pm KO (UK Time) Viaplay (Premier) Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Benetton v Ulster Saturday January 7 1pm KO (UK Time) Viaplay (Premier) Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by StandUp »

solidarity wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:18 pm
StandUp wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:37 pm Perhaps the rigours of schools cup rugby knocked the love of the sport out of him. Wouldn’t be the first kid to give up rugby after all that.
I've heard before that some schools push their 1st XV so hard that, when thy leave school, they say, 'I've had enough of that.' and never play again. 'Play' becomes 'work' and why would they want to go on with that?
Seems to be a fairly regular issue each year.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Re: Benetton v Ulster Saturday January 7 1pm KO (UK Time) Viaplay (Premier) Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by HammerTime »

Didn't stop Brian O'Driscoll. (Who says the toughest training he ever did was at school). Ulstermen are fannys.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I can't believe youngsters don't want a glitzy and glamorous career at Ulster Rugby! Plucky defeats galore, 6 nations weekends off, no annoying silverware to polish, etc. The occasional slagging off on the uafc, but that's about it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:02 pm I can't believe youngsters don't want a glitzy and glamorous career at Ulster Rugby! Plucky defeats galore, 6 nations weekends off, no annoying silverware to polish, etc. The occasional slagging off on the uafc, but that's about it.
:lol:
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

ljsulster wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:25 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:08 pm
Gerald the Mole wrote:
Big-al wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:01 am People are giving Bell a hard time, & rightly so. But if you can onto the URC stats page and scroll down to turnovers won & conceded. Ulster are comfortably amongst the worst in the league. Ulster coughing up the e ball way to easily this season.
Sorry , Bell is not very good and neither is Newby at that
Meanwhile, former All Black, Craig Newby, joined Ulster last summer on a one-year deal as Skills Coach from his role as Director of Rugby at St. John’s School in Leatherhead. Newby also held roles as England U20 Women’s Forwards Coach and was involved in the coaching setup for both Wasps U18s and Harlequins U16s. He has signed on with the province for a further two years
Someone tell me he is better than Campbell ?

So , we also now have a sports Psychologist brought in last year at the expense of a lot of dosh, not worth it , nice chap etc but a new head coach will have to swing the axe.

With regards Dan , what has he improved since he joined , go on tell us .

Petrie, time is running out , stop all the fluffy stuff, stop trying to reinvent the wheel, you are losing rugby supporters , Ulster Rugby is not a circus.

Academy : And KOTH might answer this, what big potential is coming through ?
Can’t disagree with much or any of that.

Academy wise I really don’t know. I liked the look of Hopes who doesn’t start for the Irish u20s. Mcnabney looked good but not sure how he’s been going of late. Wilson I thought would come through.

Going into the academy next year will be Josh Stevens (7), Lucas Kenny (back 3) and Mcfarlane (back 3 and hoping his current injury isn’t career threatening).

Stevens coming through would be welcomed but ulster need tight 5 and half backs. I look back to the methody team that had Thomas Armstrong at 10 (Ethan McIlroys year) who didn’t seem interested in pursuing a rugby career for some reason (I question ulsters tactics on him, I know he wanted to be a doctor but look at Jamie roberts). He looked like a star in the making.

https://youtu.be/Oqk0JeX9VLQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was reading on the munsterfans forum about the u20s and someone said “Ulster have a gem in McNabney”, must be going alright. Hopes is u19 so him being in the squad is impressive.

Ethan graham and James mckillop also joining academy next year?
Thomas Armstrongs brother David is a very talented scrum half- could also be near the academy next year

Also, what is mcfarlanes injury, I hadn’t heard?
McNabney big & abrasive so hopefully comes through well. Hopes looks a talented athlete & likes a gallop but doesn’t strike me as a 2nd row to do the dirty work - indeed watching Ireland U18 last year he was partnered with Evan O’Connell (Paul’s nephew) who looked like he had much more dog about him. Hopes may bulk up & maybe he has it but I’d rather have my 2nd rows hitting things all day than the odd linebreak.

Below academy you have the Provincial Talent squad (PTS) & National Talent Squad (NTS) instead of the old sub academy structure. Withstanding those who might come through from PTS at NTS level Ulster currently have:

NTS 1 (left school):
Jack Boal (prop)
Joe Charles (prop)
Cameron Doak (prop)
Ethan Graham (back 3)
Charlie Irvine (2nd row)
Mark Lee (played 2nd row at U19 but height wise likely to be back row going forward)

NTS 2 (last year school):
David Armstrong (scrum half)
Jacob Boyd (prop)
Rory Ellerby (centre)
Lukas Kenny (back 3)
Flynn Longstaff (prop)
Ben Mcfarlane (back 3)
James McKillop (back row)
Josh Stevens (open side)
Bryn Ward (back row)

NTS 3 (2 years left at school):
Jamie Jackson (back row)
Clark Logan (scrum half)

Prop: 5
2nd row: 1
Back row: 5
Scrum half: 2
Out half: 0
Centre: 1
Back 3: 3

So yet again 10 looks an ongoing long term problem. Prop & back row not badly stocked.

Academy admission this year I’d be very surprised if McKillop isn’t in - very much in the McNabney mould & maybe even better all round.

Steven’s is fantastic schools player but potentially small for professional back row. Very quick & highly skilled but be interested to see if they keep him at 7 - heard hooker might be a long term option.

Scrum half’s both seem talented, although Armstrong potentially behind Logan despite being a bit older. Given James Humphreys (who looked a bit out of his depth at Irish U20 level) is the only 10 at Academy & NTS it makes losing the talented older Armstrong all the more regrettable. But we’ve a track record of not holding on to talented ex Methody 10s!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Soda wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:48 am
Bart S wrote:
ding dong2u wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:38 am Some fekkers with very short memories about here
Hardly surprising since the average UAFC member is so old that they actually remember ulster competing for trophies!
Some of us can even remember Ulster actually winning trophies...

Nothing to do with memories and previous performances. Everything to do with brain cells during the last 5 minutes . This goes back to Toulouse QF last year and beyond. If these crazy kicks are under instructions from the coaches, they should go. If they are player ibspured, they should go.
But somebody somewhere needs to take responsibility for this on going Achilles heel weakness
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:55 pm
Soda wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:48 am
Bart S wrote:
ding dong2u wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:38 am Some fekkers with very short memories about here
Hardly surprising since the average UAFC member is so old that they actually remember ulster competing for trophies!
Some of us can even remember Ulster actually winning trophies...

Nothing to do with memories and previous performances. Everything to do with brain cells during the last 5 minutes . This goes back to Toulouse QF last year and beyond. If these crazy kicks are under instructions from the coaches, they should go. If they are player inspired, they should go.
But somebody somewhere needs to take responsibility for this on going Achilles heel weakness
100% nail on the head. Too many excuses and as if this is only recent- it's UR pathology since 2006- or even since start of the Pro Era. We've never got out of these cycles- I couldn't even call them boom/ bust! Mostly bust.

I've being going to Ravers since 78, and we chronically ( understatement) underperform around all aspects of UR, and how it approaches the game in Ulster now.
Too much soft soap and comments about short memories ffs- thats one of the problems- abject denial that it's rotten to the core. Many of us followed Ulster when we were truly a world class dominant club.
Exterminate all rational thought
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

'Many of us followed Ulster when we were truly a world class dominant club.'

Times change. The likes of Wolves and Bolton used to be the dominant forces in English football. Ajax, Feyenoord, Benfica and Celtic were once giants of the European game. Ulster should be able to compete with the world's best teams, but I don't think we'll ever dominate again in the way that Leinster or the big French clubs do now.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Tap+Go wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:14 pm
ljsulster wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:25 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:08 pm
Gerald the Mole wrote:
Big-al wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:01 am People are giving Bell a hard time, & rightly so. But if you can onto the URC stats page and scroll down to turnovers won & conceded. Ulster are comfortably amongst the worst in the league. Ulster coughing up the e ball way to easily this season.
Sorry , Bell is not very good and neither is Newby at that
Meanwhile, former All Black, Craig Newby, joined Ulster last summer on a one-year deal as Skills Coach from his role as Director of Rugby at St. John’s School in Leatherhead. Newby also held roles as England U20 Women’s Forwards Coach and was involved in the coaching setup for both Wasps U18s and Harlequins U16s. He has signed on with the province for a further two years
Someone tell me he is better than Campbell ?

So , we also now have a sports Psychologist brought in last year at the expense of a lot of dosh, not worth it , nice chap etc but a new head coach will have to swing the axe.

With regards Dan , what has he improved since he joined , go on tell us .

Petrie, time is running out , stop all the fluffy stuff, stop trying to reinvent the wheel, you are losing rugby supporters , Ulster Rugby is not a circus.

Academy : And KOTH might answer this, what big potential is coming through ?
Can’t disagree with much or any of that.

Academy wise I really don’t know. I liked the look of Hopes who doesn’t start for the Irish u20s. Mcnabney looked good but not sure how he’s been going of late. Wilson I thought would come through.

Going into the academy next year will be Josh Stevens (7), Lucas Kenny (back 3) and Mcfarlane (back 3 and hoping his current injury isn’t career threatening).

Stevens coming through would be welcomed but ulster need tight 5 and half backs. I look back to the methody team that had Thomas Armstrong at 10 (Ethan McIlroys year) who didn’t seem interested in pursuing a rugby career for some reason (I question ulsters tactics on him, I know he wanted to be a doctor but look at Jamie roberts). He looked like a star in the making.

https://youtu.be/Oqk0JeX9VLQ

Was reading on the munsterfans forum about the u20s and someone said “Ulster have a gem in McNabney”, must be going alright. Hopes is u19 so him being in the squad is impressive.

Ethan graham and James mckillop also joining academy next year?
Thomas Armstrongs brother David is a very talented scrum half- could also be near the academy next year

Also, what is mcfarlanes injury, I hadn’t heard?
McNabney big & abrasive so hopefully comes through well. Hopes looks a talented athlete & likes a gallop but doesn’t strike me as a 2nd row to do the dirty work - indeed watching Ireland U18 last year he was partnered with Evan O’Connell (Paul’s nephew) who looked like he had much more dog about him. Hopes may bulk up & maybe he has it but I’d rather have my 2nd rows hitting things all day than the odd linebreak.

Below academy you have the Provincial Talent squad (PTS) & National Talent Squad (NTS) instead of the old sub academy structure. Withstanding those who might come through from PTS at NTS level Ulster currently have:

NTS 1 (left school):
Jack Boal (prop)
Joe Charles (prop)
Cameron Doak (prop)
Ethan Graham (back 3)
Charlie Irvine (2nd row)
Mark Lee (played 2nd row at U19 but height wise likely to be back row going forward)

NTS 2 (last year school):
David Armstrong (scrum half)
Jacob Boyd (prop)
Rory Ellerby (centre)
Lukas Kenny (back 3)
Flynn Longstaff (prop)
Ben Mcfarlane (back 3)
James McKillop (back row)
Josh Stevens (open side)
Bryn Ward (back row)

NTS 3 (2 years left at school):
Jamie Jackson (back row)
Clark Logan (scrum half)

Prop: 5
2nd row: 1
Back row: 5
Scrum half: 2
Out half: 0
Centre: 1
Back 3: 3

So yet again 10 looks an ongoing long term problem. Prop & back row not badly stocked.

Academy admission this year I’d be very surprised if McKillop isn’t in - very much in the McNabney mould & maybe even better all round.

Steven’s is fantastic schools player but potentially small for professional back row. Very quick & highly skilled but be interested to see if they keep him at 7 - heard hooker might be a long term option.

Scrum half’s both seem talented, although Armstrong potentially behind Logan despite being a bit older. Given James Humphreys (who looked a bit out of his depth at Irish U20 level) is the only 10 at Academy & NTS it makes losing the talented older Armstrong all the more regrettable. But we’ve a track record of not holding on to talented ex Methody 10s!
Prop
Jack Boal(Campbell) - u20
Joe Charles(Down) - u20
Cameron Doak(Wallace) - u20
Flynn Longstaff(Campbell) - u19
Jacob Boyd(RBAI) - u19

Hooker

Lock
Charlie Irvine(Wallace) - u20
Joe Hopes(Campbell) - u19

Backrow
James McNabney(Cambridge) - u20
James McKillop(Foyle) - u19
Mark Lee(Rainey) - u19
Josh Stevens(Methody) - u19
Bryn Ward(RBAI) - u19

Scrumhalf
David Armstrong(Methody)

Outhalf

Centre
Ross Taylor(RSA) - u20
Rory Ellerby(RBAI) - u19

Back Three
Rory Telfer(Coleraine) - u20
Ethan Graham(Monaghan RFC) - u19
Ben McFarlane(Methody) - u19
Lukas Kenny(Campbell) - u19
Last edited by Bayern on Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

promenader 2 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:02 pm 'Many of us followed Ulster when we were truly a world class dominant club.'

Times change. The likes of Wolves and Bolton used to be the dominant forces in English football. Ajax, Feyenoord, Benfica and Celtic were once giants of the European game. Ulster should be able to compete with the world's best teams, but I don't think we'll ever dominate again in the way that Leinster or the big French clubs do now.
At least that lot manage to win some domestic silverware most years . . .
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So It Is wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:25 pm
promenader 2 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:02 pm 'Many of us followed Ulster when we were truly a world class dominant club.'

At least that lot manage to win some domestic silverware most years . . .
Yep. We're hardly competing! Almost every game this season has been seriously flawed apart from Connacht as the opener. Every team has exposed our issues until we were found out by those who could exploit it- including Benetton and Munster B
Exterminate all rational thought
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Connacht were as bad as I've seen them in a very long time in the season opener. Couldn't throw/catch a pass, utterly useless.

Not that I'm trying to dig us into a deeper hole of depression but it hasn't been a great season from us in terms of performances, even before the recent run of losses.

Its always darkest before the dawn chaps. Get the mortgage on a Stockdale hattrick in LaR . . . .
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Without making excuses, what is also not helping is that our marquee big forward signing (Vermuelen) is quite obviously absolutely done. He's finished.

He does not have the legs or the lungs any more, he struggles to get involved in games.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Not sure that even Bolton fans would agree with you on that.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Fair play to the Leinster and Munster pair who came along for the weekend for the craic btw.