Plastic Pitch

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Plastic Pitch

Post by UlsterNo9 »

HammerTime wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:32 am Kingspan is too small for a typical cocert. Take away a stand (behind the stage) and add in the pitch and you’d still not get 20,000. You never see outdoor gigs with 20k … 30k minimum usually. Costs a fortune to put on an outdoor show and Kingspan wouldn’t be viable. More short sightedness from both UR and the IFA. We could have shared 25k/30k stadium in the titanic quarter and could have split the loot 50:50 from concerts, motocross, corporate etc. could have lowered ticket prices by 20% which would have brought more in and still left plenty of scope for future crowd growth. No point turning, it’s done now and we still have a reasonable stadium all for ourselves and don’t pay any rent (unlike Leinster) But what a missed opportunity. There’s nothing like a great stadium on match day pretty close to a city centre.
RDS (18,000 capacity for rugby) similar size regularly hosts outdoor concerts, heading to see Springsteen and the E Street Band there in May.
Frampton had 16,000 at the purpose built Titanic Slipway.
Belsonic in Ormeau Park is 15,000.
They must be viable.

I think the issue would be to compete with somewhere like Ormeau Park on price.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Does anyone know whether we are going for a fully synthetic pitch or a hybrid option?

Dragons have a hybrid, Glasgow is fully artificial.

Other than what it's made from what's the difference? Maintenance? Playability? etc
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:10 am
HammerTime wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:32 am Kingspan is too small for a typical cocert. Take away a stand (behind the stage) and add in the pitch and you’d still not get 20,000. You never see outdoor gigs with 20k … 30k minimum usually. Costs a fortune to put on an outdoor show and Kingspan wouldn’t be viable. More short sightedness from both UR and the IFA. We could have shared 25k/30k stadium in the titanic quarter and could have split the loot 50:50 from concerts, motocross, corporate etc. could have lowered ticket prices by 20% which would have brought more in and still left plenty of scope for future crowd growth. No point turning, it’s done now and we still have a reasonable stadium all for ourselves and don’t pay any rent (unlike Leinster) But what a missed opportunity. There’s nothing like a great stadium on match day pretty close to a city centre.
RDS (18,000 capacity for rugby) similar size regularly hosts outdoor concerts, heading to see Springsteen and the E Street Band there in May.
They must be viable.

RDS take away all temporary stands (3 of them) which opens it up the arena massively. Think it's 25-30k. Titanic slipway was free of charge. Belsonic is council run and without its backing wouldn't be viable. Some gigs there only sell 4-5k and the council then are in panic mode giving away free tickets to everyone so there's a crowd. A private promoter wouldn't touch it.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Can you imagine the bar queues at a gig at Kingspan?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Does this imaginary stadium have a roof?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:30 pm Can you imagine the bar queues at a gig at Kingspan? Image
Depends who’s playing.

Most of today’s weirdo youth wouldn’t even lick a wine gum.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

And maybe all the better for it?I
Certainly an improvement on some of the loudmouth " see how many pints I can hold" brigade observed at both Kingspan and away matches.
Some of them maybe even on here,............?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:49 am And maybe all the better for it?I
Certainly an improvement on some of the loudmouth " see how many pints I can hold" brigade observed at both Kingspan and away matches.
Of course we are.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bobbievee wrote:And maybe all the better for it?I
I hate the nobs who put pints on the ground in standing areas, who then preceed to cry when someone inadvertently kicks one over.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:40 am
I hate the nobs who put pints on the ground in standing areas, who then preceed to cry when someone inadvertently kicks one over.
Yes, pints deserve more love. Especially at the price they charge these days.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

justinr73 wrote:
There's not too many six handed guys on the terrace Image

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

waggonsroll wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:51 pm
justinr73 wrote:
There's not too many six handed guys on the terrace Image

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk
I’ve seen a few with six fingers.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:49 am And maybe all the better for it?I
You say that as if it’s a bad thing 😁
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jersey over hoodie pint welding goons out
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

HammerTime wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:07 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:10 am
They must be viable.

RDS take away all temporary stands (3 of them) which opens it up the arena massively. Think it's 25-30k. Titanic slipway was free of charge. Belsonic is council run and without its backing wouldn't be viable. Some gigs there only sell 4-5k and the council then are in panic mode giving away free tickets to everyone so there's a crowd. A private promoter wouldn't touch it.
There are two temporary stands (the ones at each end) in the RDS, not three.