Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:38 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:45 pm
Cormac wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:14 pm Great performance off the bench from Tom O’Toole.
How many scrums?
How many yesterday?
Yea, how many? Only true test is test time. Boks, France, England, Even Georgia.
Exterminate all rational thought
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

You guys need to recognise that a new style of prop is emerging.
So you old dinosaur types ( maybe one brain cell each?!) Would never have survived in the modern game.......And therefore maybe shouldn't comment on it!! ? :stir:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Some calls for O'Toole to start next week. Furlong will probably leapfrog him though.

12/13 is the other interesting one.

Stu and Ringrose starting with Henshaw on the bench would seem to be the logical choice based on what we've seen so far.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

O'Toole has done his cause no harm with his recent cameo's for Ireland, but watching him pack down against a fit and firing Schoeman isn't a prospect I'd relish. With how well JTA is playing, I actually wonder if he'll be first choice for us when he comes back here.

That said, given how worried we were when Moore got injured it's no doubt a surprisingly pleasant problem to have to choose between two tight heads playing so well.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

To be fair to TOT (and Ive been a critic re his development at times), he’s fronted up and passed the tests put infront of him. Id start furlong and if could get 50 mins out of him with 30 off TOT I’d be very happy. The limited scrummaging he’s faced, he’s been fine so far. Schoemann and Genge will be further tests.

From what he’s said in the media is a credit to him, genuinely being excited re the tests to come. Answering that public challenge by Farrell (time to step up) before the French game…..and TOT fully fronted up with his performance. What was telling for me was the look of concentration he had on his face from the bench before coming on v France, he was ready to go….hopefully this 6ns is the campaign he goes from pup to man in rugby terms.

The ire team make up will be interesting as to whether any risks are taken around playing players just back from injury. Certainly fatigue won’t be an issue for the guys who’ve been playing. The obvious is around the centre pairing makeup.

Big Stu has been absolutely rock solid, he’s been quietly excellent-and is a wc cert for me as that 3/4 centre. Solid d, nice hands, couple of turnovers, some dirty carries getting over the gainline, and tidying up a lot of brad pitt to keep moves going. Fully answered his media critics from down South. I feel he’s getting more and more comfy in that environment.

Aki was responsible for both It tries, the intercept, and the miss tackle on the 8 who burst for the 9 to snipe off and score…..5 missed tackles. However…..i actually think the rotation of SMcM and him at 12 has worked really well, with Aki adding energy and power off the bench esp v the French. With the ban, and his lack of gametime overall plus then playing out of position at 13, I still think he’s done a good job. What on the face of it is a inflexible bench option of aki, has been very effective. I’ve never been fully confident of a utility coming into the centre for a physical side in particular.

Ringrose has been superb. I saw him v sarries a few yrs ago in the euro final, he was dreadful. Missed/soaked tackles, haemorrhaging massive gainline. He has risen fully to humes challenge from last season. Ringrose looks bigger, definitely a dominant tackler, is reading defensively looks improved. he is a serious player,…my only critique….is he needs to bring his wing fb into play. He isn’t Stu hoggesque standards, but if he added that distribution to his game, he’d pretty much have it all.

Henshaw I absolutely love, defensively rock solid, punches gainline, a v good 13 too, his hands at 13 could be better mind.

I’d go big Stu / GR, with henshaw on bench covering both….depending on both GR/RH fitness.

I actually think the eng game will be more interesting as all 4 should be fit, and upto speed.
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

Have they broken big Stu?
I skimmed a headline that said something like Henshaw took full part in training and will be fine to start v Scotland after McCloskey calf injury....
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Which Ulster man makes the team this week ?

Henshaw is to me over rated except for one thing he is a bull at a red cape facing the try line. head down and nothing will stop him

Personally I don't mind if McCloskey gets a couple of weeks rest
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Timoney joining Ireland squad.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:48 pm Which Ulster man makes the team this week ?

ToT is the only certain ulsterman. Henderson will probably be selected as well. Stu should start but is not certain. Others only get in if there are injuries.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:16 pm O'Toole has done his cause no harm with his recent cameo's for Ireland, but watching him pack down against a fit and firing Schoeman isn't a prospect I'd relish. With how well JTA is playing, I actually wonder if he'll be first choice for us when he comes back here.

That said, given how worried we were when Moore got injured it's no doubt a surprisingly pleasant problem to have to choose between two tight heads playing so well.
The voice of reason MA. Schoeman then Genge will test his untested metal
I hope he passes but there's too much teary eyed BS from some who don't seem to understand the primary role of a TH. Furlong , Fagerson, Sinkler etc can pass and tackle, but they are also excellent scrummagers capable of locking down when required.
Essential, not "desirable" on a THs CV :duh: :banghead: :thumleft:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bobbievee wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:59 am You guys need to recognise that a new style of prop is emerging.
So you old dinosaur types ( maybe one brain cell each?!) Would never have survived in the modern game.......And therefore maybe shouldn't comment on it!! ? :stir:
Really? >bud have at you Bobbie. I'd love to pack down against the new woke props :cheers: there's no cameras at club level :shock: :lol:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dharper wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:42 pm To be fair to TOT (and Ive been a critic re his development at times), he’s fronted up and passed the tests put infront of him. Id start furlong and if could get 50 mins out of him with 30 off TOT I’d be very happy. The limited scrummaging he’s faced, he’s been fine so far. Schoemann and Genge will be further tests.

From what he’s said in the media is a credit to him, genuinely being excited re the tests to come. Answering that public challenge by Farrell (time to step up) before the French game…..and TOT fully fronted up with his performance. What was telling for me was the look of concentration he had on his face from the bench before coming on v France, he was ready to go….hopefully this 6ns is the campaign he goes from pup to man in rugby terms.

The ire team make up will be interesting as to whether any risks are taken around playing players just back from injury. Certainly fatigue won’t be an issue for the guys who’ve been playing. The obvious is around the centre pairing makeup.

Big Stu has been absolutely rock solid, he’s been quietly excellent-and is a wc cert for me as that 3/4 centre. Solid d, nice hands, couple of turnovers, some dirty carries getting over the gainline, and tidying up a lot of brad pitt to keep moves going. Fully answered his media critics from down South. I feel he’s getting more and more comfy in that environment.

Aki was responsible for both It tries, the intercept, and the miss tackle on the 8 who burst for the 9 to snipe off and score…..5 missed tackles. However…..i actually think the rotation of SMcM and him at 12 has worked really well, with Aki adding energy and power off the bench esp v the French. With the ban, and his lack of gametime overall plus then playing out of position at 13, I still think he’s done a good job. What on the face of it is a inflexible bench option of aki, has been very effective. I’ve never been fully confident of a utility coming into the centre for a physical side in particular.

Ringrose has been superb. I saw him v sarries a few yrs ago in the euro final, he was dreadful. Missed/soaked tackles, haemorrhaging massive gainline. He has risen fully to humes challenge from last season. Ringrose looks bigger, definitely a dominant tackler, is reading defensively looks improved. he is a serious player,…my only critique….is he needs to bring his wing fb into play. He isn’t Stu hoggesque standards, but if he added that distribution to his game, he’d pretty much have it all.

Henshaw I absolutely love, defensively rock solid, punches gainline, a v good 13 too, his hands at 13 could be better mind.

I’d go big Stu / GR, with henshaw on bench covering both….depending on both GR/RH fitness.

I actually think the eng game will be more interesting as all 4 should be fit, and upto speed.
Great post. :thumleft: agree ref JTA. Bet UR blow a contract opportunity >skull :banghead:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

IRELAND team to play Scotland – Round 4, 2023 Guinness Six Nations Championships,
BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh, Sunday 12th March, 2023, KO 15.00 (IST):

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 28 caps
14. Mack Hansen (Connacht/Corinthians) 12 caps
13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 49 caps
12. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 44 caps
11. James Lowe (Leinster) 18 caps
10. Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 111 caps (c)
9. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 103 caps

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 51 caps
2. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 15 caps
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 63 caps
4. Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 71 caps
5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 51 caps
6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 92 caps
7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps
8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 26 caps

Replacements:

16. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 20 caps
17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 121 caps
18. Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 7 caps
19. Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 9 caps
20. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 36 caps
21. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 23 caps
22. Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 17 caps
23. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 61 caps

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Have they broken Stu or just discarded him now?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Just the 17 leinster players then.
Stu carrying a small knock, AKA thanks for filling in, we'll take it from here.