Cardiff v Ulster Saturday 4th March 7:35pm Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Cardiff v Ulster Saturday 4th March 7:35pm Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

ljsulster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:17 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:11 am Cardiff are poor though but we'll take it. Much bigger challenges ahead ie away in SA likely plus Ladybois so we'll see if DMcF has sorted the obvious tactical issues or will we still come up short when it really matters? Pack looks much better especially with Toomooga Allen and Ireland contingent to return. But apart from the likes of Stu, Luke and Moore, our backline threat and defensive set still looks suspect, and will be exposed by better teams as it has through the season so far. Too many backs also out of form across the season. Stockdale, Hume, Rob B and Mike are shadows atm. We really need Addison back tbf- he would be a literal game changer.
Considering Bobby B is injured harsh calling him a shadow.
Agree on Addison, difference between getting to a final or plucky playoff defeat
He's been poor this season injuries aside is what I meant. Albeit they have no doubt impacted on any return to form. But even when fit he's seemed uncertain/ doesn't seem to back himself. Hasn't chased work and remains poor under the high ball. Although that seems to be a pattern across our back 3.
Exterminate all rational thought
Aird
Squire

Re: Cardiff v Ulster Saturday 4th March 7:35pm Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Aird »

Thought sStockdale showed his first glimpse of his true self with his score last night, the smile was back. I think Farrell showing some faith in him has helped to restore his confidence in his self which has been missing since his injury. The players are all different in the way they recover from injury some just step back in others need game time to work back to form.
Previously it all came so easily forJacob that it must have come as quite a shock to discover he was a mere mortal. I am not suggesting he was big headed but that it had just been so natural to him.
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

Stockdale is and will remain a defensive liability, he will not tackle head on ever, he occasionally gets man and ball but more often shoots out of the line (possibly looking to intercept) but in my opinion he’s simply not brave enough.
Scored a try last night and was complicit in letting two in.
Always good going forward and Piutau made him look even better but he simply hasn’t the fight needed defensively for top level. Once you see it, it can’t be unseen.
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

TinPig wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:16 pm Stockdale is and will remain a defensive liability, he will not tackle head on ever, he occasionally gets man and ball but more often shoots out of the line (possibly looking to intercept) but in my opinion he’s simply not brave enough.
Scored a try last night and was complicit in letting two in.
Always good going forward and Piutau made him look even better but he simply hasn’t the fight needed defensively for top level. Once you see it, it can’t be unseen.
[/quote

The state that he lacks courage is harsh. It’s a subjective judgment based on his (at times) poor technique and timing but lacking objective evidence.q His defence has never been a strong point. However his attack has been strong to the point of being world class. When that disappeared there was nothing in his game to balance the loss of his attacking brilliance. In my view we should be happy to see his attacking flair recovering and look forward to celebrating its full resurgence in the rest of the season. He is a confidence player and it is just great to see that confidence and that smile returning. Also good to see a solid game under the high ball. If he continues his current trajectory I for one will be willing to overlook defensive blips - recognising that some of those blips happen because of attempted intercepts which have served him well in the past when they have stuck.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Anybody know who got MOTM? I'm guessing JTA?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

solidarity wrote:Anybody know who got MOTM? I'm guessing JTA?
Doak but for me Burns was a close 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:19 pm

I thought Burns had as good a game as I've seen him play, indeed.
JTA seemed to be involved in everything and put in a good c.70 minute shift.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Thought Doak was head and shoulders our best player followed by McCann, then Rea, then Burns, then JTA.

Any idea when Baloucoune and Lyttle are back? We’ll need one of them for the trip to Dublin.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Big-al wrote:

Thought Doak was head and shoulders our best player followed by McCann, then Rea, then Burns, then JTA.

Any idea when Baloucoune and Lyttle are back? We’ll need one of them for the trip to Dublin.
Think Lyttle was named on the bench for Banbridge yesterday.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

shamalicious wrote:
Big-al wrote:

Think Lyttle was named on the bench for Banbridge yesterday.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
Injured at start of the week and was touch and go whether he would be fit. Didn’t train with team so fair enough call.

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

With respect to the Man of the Match call, both Burns and Doak looked good, but they were served quick ball up on a plate by the pack. The Cardiff back line at times looked dangerous with ball in hand, but it was the utter domination up front that was the difference. JTA and Rea were the pick for me.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

100,,% but Sheridan, McCann and Stewart give real hope with strong, muscular performances. Bout time we had a crop of good young Ulster born forwards
Exterminate all rational thought
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:41 pm 100,,% but Sheridan, McCann and Stewart give real hope with strong, muscular performances. Bout time we had a crop of good young Ulster born forwards
Hopefully the performances of Rea, McCann and Sheridan means that Henderson can be moved permanently back to lock.

Ulster could go for a 6-2 split vs Leinster. Rea is a must start for ulster, he’s our best ground dog by a distance. But I wouldn’t be annoyed to see McCann and Sheridan come off the bench in the last 16.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

As it is being discussed on the leinster forum perhaps we should also. Given Stewart Moores all round footballing ability could he be considered a viable option at 10? Has a decent kick, can pass (skip) and has an eye for a gap. I've been impressed by the hard straight lines he has been running so isn't afraid to take it to the line either.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:As it is being discussed on the leinster forum perhaps we should also. Given Stewart Moores all round footballing ability could he be considered a viable option at 10? Has a decent kick, can pass (skip) and has an eye for a gap. I've been impressed by the hard straight lines he has been running so isn't afraid to take it to the line either.
For all the good things he does he always has plenty of mistakes, 50/50 passes are not for me playing as a 10.

I think he’s a quality player and if he cuts those mistakes out he will definitely get a Ireland call up in the future.