6 Nations 2023

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by Big-al »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:29 pm
MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:16 pm O'Toole has done his cause no harm with his recent cameo's for Ireland, but watching him pack down against a fit and firing Schoeman isn't a prospect I'd relish. With how well JTA is playing, I actually wonder if he'll be first choice for us when he comes back here.

That said, given how worried we were when Moore got injured it's no doubt a surprisingly pleasant problem to have to choose between two tight heads playing so well.
The voice of reason MA. Schoeman then Genge will test his untested metal
I hope he passes but there's too much teary eyed BS from some who don't seem to understand the primary role of a TH. Furlong , Fagerson, Sinkler etc can pass and tackle, but they are also excellent scrummagers capable of locking down when required.
Essential, not "desirable" on a THs CV :duh: :banghead: :thumleft:
Otoole lasted 80minutes (then got injured) vs the stormers last season in the semi-final. He stood the test of the number 1 loosehead in the world (Kitshoff).

Have faith. He’s only 24 and nit fully developed those you mentioned. I remember Furlong coming on vs France in his early 20’s and getting a good hammering in the scrum.
Last edited by Big-al on Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:48 pm Just the 17 leinster players then.
Stu carrying a small knock, AKA thanks for filling in, we'll take it from here.
McCloskey trained fully yesterday. That’s just an excuse used to justify his harsh treatment.

Hopefully Stu will be raring to go for the first weekend in April.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Good to see a few more Kiwis featuring. It was almost looking like an Ireland side for side for while there.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:Good to see a few more Kiwis featuring. It was almost looking like an Ireland side for side for while there.
Disgracefully few saffers, though. Clear racism.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

So UTV say Henderson has been dropped, the BBC says he is injured. Which is it ?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Sorry, trying to do 3 things at once, I meant McCloskey ?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Setanta wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:14 pm So UTV say Henderson has been dropped, the BBC says he is injured. Which is it ?
McCloskey trained fully yesterday.

He is fit.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Big-al wrote:
Setanta wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:14 pm So UTV say Henderson has been dropped, the BBC says he is injured. Which is it ?

He is fit.
Not much use if he hadn't trained for a week previously.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I’d say that’s rather harsh and disingenuous by utv to describe the SMcC situation as that.

My understanding is that he’s had a calf injury, which has presumably effected his training in the run in for this match. Why take a risk with his fitness when ire don’t have to? Especially with other players coming back which has potential to go wrong.

A lot of pundits bigging up the Scot midfield. The axis of sexton aki Ringrose with henshaw covering both positions gives that continuity feel, with plenty of experience playing together/defensive understanding. Presumably they’ve trained well, and AF has gone with it. SMcC has had a fine 6ns as I’ve said previously next week could be interesting as all 4 centres will possibly be fit. We are lucky to have 4 int centres of that quality. All 4 go to wc for me if fit.

Interesting Healy replaces kilcoyne. Not heard anything re a kilcoyne injury. Kilcoyne is better in loose, as Healys legs are going. I’d imagine they still fancy him a better scrummager and wish to nullify WP Nel come scrum time in the last 10. With the rest week I think Porter will have 70 in him, esp with low scrum numbers.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Calling it now, Aki to get at least a yellow
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:00 pm Calling it now, Aki to get at least a yellow
I'm sick of the sight of him ... and his mates.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:32 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:29 pm
MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:16 pm O'Toole has done his cause no harm with his recent cameo's for Ireland, but watching him pack down against a fit and firing Schoeman isn't a prospect I'd relish. With how well JTA is playing, I actually wonder if he'll be first choice for us when he comes back here.

That said, given how worried we were when Moore got injured it's no doubt a surprisingly pleasant problem to have to choose between two tight heads playing so well.
The voice of reason MA. Schoeman then Genge will test his untested metal
I hope he passes but there's too much teary eyed BS from some who don't seem to understand the primary role of a TH. Furlong , Fagerson, Sinkler etc can pass and tackle, but they are also excellent scrummagers capable of locking down when required.
Essential, not "desirable" on a THs CV :duh: :banghead: :thumleft:
Otoole lasted 80minutes (then got injured) vs the stormers last season in the semi-final. He stood the test of the number 1 loosehead in the world (Kitshoff).

Have faith. He’s only 24 and nit fully developed those you mentioned. I remember Furlong coming on vs France in his early 20’s and getting a good hammering in the scrum.
I'm not down on TOT at all Al. But there's too much emphasis on his undouted open play rather than the bread and butter. 24 is a TH pup, but neither Kitshoff or Stormers are destructive scrummagers. Good luck to him btw. :thumleft: My point us too many have him as a World beater when he hasn't yet got his props wings. I do hope he gets them.

Going further back, great Welsh TH John Davies first cap vs France- airborne for every scrum and beasted by Califano ( I think?). Went on to be a Welsh great. That was a real baptism- not allowed nowadays and probably rightly so. But you have to be beasted to learn.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:38 pm

He is fit.
And the Mexicans wonder why many Ulster fans have difficulty investing in the LeIreland team?
Exterminate all rational thought
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:16 pm Good to see a few more Kiwis featuring. It was almost looking like an Ireland side for side for while there.
Ok….what’s everyone’s non residential qualification side?”

Hansen is qualified via family I believe so stays (Larmour otherwise).

SMcC comes in for Aki, if he’s ok after training, Henshaw to start if not (being fit, and being up to match speed is two different things). Osborne on bench if SMcC not fit.

JOB at 11, Stockdale hasn’t the form.

Casey on bench for JGP. Nothing too controversial I’d say.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

You may have to give more thought to the Scotland team.