Ulster v bulls Sat 25th 7.35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Ulster v bulls Sat 25th 7.35pm

Post by Dharper »

A few thoughts:

A big well done to the scrum, pretty rock solid and squeezed a few pens too. Warwick and big Jeff in particular take a bow.

We bled gainline in that first half but luckily reset at half time. Both centres were iffy defensively missing tackles, I’m on the fence as too whether Moore Hume is actually a decent pairing. I think Hume needs to play outside a gainline merchant to benefit. I actually like Moore at 15, although I thought lowery had a good game (for a former school 10?…I think his pass execution is iffy, Moore a better distributor).

Stockdale best performance for ages.

Great cover tackle on Arendse in first half. Pretty decent fielding kicks, decent kicks inc that sublime 50/22, couple of decent carries and footwork. It didn’t seem “natural”, rather than real effort on his part, but definitely a step forward.

I’m actually quite excited for next season re Sheridan McCann Rea add in timoney and Ewers thats quite abrasive but also athletic back row to select from.

I actually think that last night was always going to be a big pack and bench effort to subdue the bulls. Agreed re Rea causing issues at the breakdown off bench, not sure I’d want to see him taking clear outs from van staden from the off mind. Sheridan really impressed I was wary he might be too small for 2nd row, but he didn’t look out of place.

Bulls discipline killed them.

Next week could be really interesting: a wee chip on the shoulder could be needed, but a lot of interesting match ups, points to prove.

Big pack performance needed, I’d like to see how both backlines go with parity ball…..all infront of AF probably.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

"Cape Town – Bulls coach Jake White has warned that the rugby world must avoid copying the diving culture from soccer to get players penalised following a controversial yellow card to Bismarck du Plessis in Saturday night’s 32-23 defeat to Ulster in Belfast."

:scratch: :scratch:
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Deraless wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:59 pm "Cape Town – Bulls coach Jake White has warned that the rugby world must avoid copying the diving culture from soccer to get players penalised following a controversial yellow card to Bismarck du Plessis in Saturday night’s 32-23 defeat to Ulster in Belfast."

Ridiculous. White is under pressure because the Bulls can’t buy a win atm, but that assault was indefensible.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Deraless wrote:"Cape Town – Bulls coach Jake White has warned that the rugby world must avoid copying the diving culture from soccer to get players penalised following a controversial yellow card to Bismarck du Plessis in Saturday night’s 32-23 defeat to Ulster in Belfast."

That's exactly what I was thinking. A clear dive from Burns. The way he faked the whiplash from the blindside shoulder to the back was disgusting.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Deraless wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:59 pm "Cape Town – Bulls coach Jake White has warned that the rugby world must avoid copying the diving culture from soccer to get players penalised following a controversial yellow card to Bismarck du Plessis in Saturday night’s 32-23 defeat to Ulster in Belfast."
Vodacom >bs
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:37 pm If our maul doesn't function we're going to get beaten by 50 rather than by 30.
Doesn't seem that long ago it was the fans accusing the players of being beaten before we even take to the pitch against Leinster. :roll:

You are possibly correct though.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:03 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:37 pm If our maul doesn't function we're going to get beaten by 50 rather than by 30.
Doesn't seem that long ago it was the fans accusing the players of being beaten before we even take to the pitch against Leinster. :roll:

The feeling hasn't gone away to you know @copyright Gerry I was nevuurr in the Ra... It's only on pause
Exterminate all rational thought
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:03 pm

Try to be positive Grumps, sure it'll be a wee day out, and that's what it's all about.

A few pints and shaking our Leinster brethren by the hand after the game wishing them well in the next round. Hopefully we'll be back down in a months time to get hammered again in the league final.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

A few accolades ......And Other observations

Timoney: a couple of try saving tackles on 50 mins when they were camped on our line.. Critical part of the game which set the tone for the second half recovery. If they had scored then............?

Burns, for attitude, loyalty and persistence. Clearly playing with an injury and every touch kick causing him pain. Indeed I wondered why others ( doak, stockdale) weren't relieving him of the job.

Carter; maul tries dependent on winning the attacking line out. Not so long ago not a foregone conclusion. Dependable in this regard.

Cooney; for once ( advised by sha nners, counting in his ear!) Running down the clock with the conversion to ensure no restart possible.

JTA; just because! Just for being there and wearing his heart on his sleeve!

The whole pack; .....especially the substitutions.

Downside? wtf is Doa k waiting for? I could have come down from the stand, queued for a burger and still and got the ball away quicker. His place kicking is almost priceless, but not quite. Needs to speed up or find a new position in the team ( no 10?) .

Overall, great recovery from a terrible first half.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Waaaa! Waaaaa! Waaaaaa! >dance :flower: :lol: :lol: :lol: :red: :red: :fleg: >fiddle
Exterminate all rational thought
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ulster's problem is a lack of Ballcarriers ( forwards ) which leads to slow service from the base ( possibly due a much shuffled pack )

Basically in my view you require forward 4 ball carriers one of which should be available to take the ball at pace and there should be two players on his shoulder to protect possession at the breakdown . Too frequently the available ball carrier lacks obvious support and takes the ball from a standing start or at pace but with no support gets isolated and penalised.

A slow service is not always the fault of the scrum half.

The first try was a gem -- deep backline providing an opportunity to take the ball at pace with space to beat one on one opposition.

Then the backs started to kick --long ball to the Bulls -- who had a fast running back three hitting the gain line at pace into static defenders who therefore fell off the tackle at times. --- the mistake is not the missed half tackle -- the mistake is the length of the kick.

Stockdale's first touch was a horror Lowry passes him the ball and he sliced the long kick for touch in field -- thankfully it didn't prey on his mind and he hit a beauty later.

I watched the Leinster game on Friday night -- they saved themselves with a try just before half time into the wind came out with the wind ( a strong one occasionally assisted with rain ) behind them needing 12 points instead of 17 -- ( two trys ) -- ie three penalties into the corner -- they got the penalties and the draw.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Really hope Dan has a throw back at jake white at this week's press conference. His comments should not go unchallenged and it is a slippery slope if coaches are allowed to suggest that players are faking injury in order to catch the tmos attention.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ask Bismarck to apply the same hit on him this week in training. He can let us know if it hurts.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Whether it hurt or not aside, Jackman and Kinsella say it wasn’t a pen.

And the ref could not have had a better view of it in real time. Happened right under his nose.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:Whether it hurt or not aside, Jackman and Kinsella say it wasn’t a pen.

And the ref could not have had a better view of it in real time. Happened right under his nose.
It depends which side of du plessis you look at. His left arm could be said to try and wrap, but the full force of the impact was from a tucked arm into an exposed back. He knew exactly what he was doing and it a cheap shot rightly picked up by the TMO.