Leinster VS Ulster HC QF 01/04/23

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

murph1973
Novice

Re: Leinster VS Ulster HC QF 01/04/23

Post by murph1973 »

murph1973 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:57 pm If Ulster win or lose I just hope Stockdale has a belter of a game and someone puts that odious James Lowe on his hole.
I'll reply to my own post. Stockdale have a belter- Yep. James Lowe on his hole- Yep (by Doak's feigned kick).
Ulsterrrrrrrr
Novice

Post by Ulsterrrrrrrr »

Stockdale 5/10 according to the indo 😂
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

McFarseland Out
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Off the Top wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:06 pm
paddybrown wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:28 pm Too much negativity here. A good effort against what is effectively Ireland, the number one ranked team in the world. We couldn't keep up with them, but we didn't disgrace ourselves. We did about as well as any team in the Six Nations.

You couldn't fault anyone for effort, and Stockdale and Herring were just immense. The try that Stockdale started by chasing his own kick, finished by Hume from a Burns crossfield kick - without even a penalty advantage - was an absolute peach.

Two home league games and a home quarter final coming up. If we play like that, we've nothing to worry about.
I couldn't agree more Paddy Brown.

You cannot fault anyone for effort - we were just outplayed by an Irish international pack that were relentless. We were under so much pressure throughout the game but we stood up well and stopped a number of tries. Other teams would have shipped a bucketload of points and no doubt Leinster will put more that 30 points on Leicester next week.

I was disappointed with the result but proud of our team. They have come back from their pre-Christmas slump and we have a good few matches to look forward to.
For once I agree with most of this. Late night return so only posting now from memory having not watched the full game back.

1. 3 provinces are seriously losing the arms race. A combined best of 3 provinces team wouldn't have beaten Leinster yesterday. How many of that team were Lions starters if they played tomorrow? 6 in the pack at least, with Baird a bench shout and not including Doris. Conan as replacement is ridiculous strength. Yesterday was a free hit. This is not healthy in the long term for Irish rugby. No focus on developing the other provinces. We are easily the second best province currently, which should be worrying, such is the gap now.

2. Whilst I still believe we bottle big games , that was not one. Stormers away in SF will give us a real indication of any real progress.

3. Stockdale was our best player; hungry, outplayed Lowe and made a statement. Balacoune the complete opposite. Lazy, uninterested and waiting for play to come to him. Still no interest in competing in the air. Sadly regressed from the player of 2 years ago. He can forget about caps or watch Jacob and learn. Pace alone is not enough. Mac and Henshaw cancelled each other. Plug and Co target him to neutralise- smarts.

4. I called Lowry as a potential weakness and was correct. Out of form and confidence- played into Leinster hands and targeted from the off. Moore much better and should've started. Agree ref Cooney and Jeff also. Doak needs Ruan as a coach.

5. Burns is brave- but Cross kick aside isn't EPCR let alone international standard which we need. How we miss PJ (and Stu who returned at 10 for Brive.) We are goosed without an international 10.

6. We still make dumb decision and play to other teams strengths- box kicks, laboured rucks, no counter rucking, unable to second guess Leinster would target our line out to neutralise the maul. Ultimately either we are tactically dumb/ naive on the pitch and players are not playing to agreed tactics, or our management team are being out thought. Either way that lies with the coaches. We knew Plug and Co are smart- no surprises here so why are our management unable to see what was predictable? I still believe DMcF and Co have peaked and stalled.

7. 40000 Leinster fans out supported by a quarter of that number. Some ar#eholes agreed- and lacking humility. But we have our quota too. Noticed one NI banner be taken down in the upper tier- poor attitude and lacking tolerance. Why should we be ashamed of our national flag? See the tricolour flying. All Ireland all communities embracing game indeed.

8. Why the awful yellow Jersey? We play in white, Leinster blue. No clash. End of. Maybe if UR bothered with developing talent in Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal, we could legitimately call ourselves a 9 county provincial team. We're not even 6 counties ffs! UR fall short consistently.

9. We are not Munster and Connacht. Phew!
Exterminate all rational thought
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I'm ashamed of our "national fleg" and what it represented for 50 years. I wouldn't wipe my ar$e with it.

It isn't our national flag in any case. We essentially don't have one unless you count the Union flag 🇬🇧

I actually had a very positive experience with Leinster fans. Some good crack and offers of pints post match but it is amazing how sterile 40k of them are in the Aviva. I suppose it can't be much fun supporting a team that you know is going to win every week?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
The Rustler
Novice

Post by The Rustler »

Good post agree with a lot of that

Watched the match back on TV this morning, and main takeaway was the physicality. Ulster put in some shift in defence, but told with penalties, largely due to pressure, altho yellow/penalty against Hume looked harsh.

Lot of criticism for Doak...and can be slow, but his box kicking is top-drawer, and the right tactic for the conditions. However too many of our players won't challenge in the air.....so just hands possession back. Are we pyschologically challenged by the Jared Payne sending off still.

Not sure Lowry has a strong enough boot, and reliable in the air at full back against a top team. Think Moore is a better bet there.

Baloucone...needs to learn how to challenge for ball in air, otherwise no point in playing him when it rains

Leinster game plan was simple but boring....defend strongly, do the basics and kick to ourback three...wait for mistakes, or make more distance on kicking. It worked, but their support was subdued, home atmosphere was flat. They are used to bonus pointing at ease every game at home.

We lost, but no shame. We were in it until 60. Lost scrum on the half way, maybe the turning point
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:53 am I'm ashamed of our "national fleg" and what it represented for 50 years. I wouldn't wipe my ar$e with it.

It isn't our national flag in any case. We essentially don't have one unless you count the Union flag 🇬🇧

I actually had a very positive experience with Leinster fans. Some good crack and offers of pints post match but it is amazing how sterile 40k of them are in the Aviva. I suppose it can't be much fun supporting a team that you know is going to win every week?
Leinster supporters in general are smug, entitled banker.

Give me a Munster can any day of the week.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:53 am I'm ashamed of our "national fleg" and what it represented for 50 years. I wouldn't wipe my ar$e with it.

Ni football and athletics disagree. Ditto Wales and Scotland. No flag or country is without taint, including the Tricolour and 9 county provincial, so its a specious and virtue signalling response; you're entitled to your shame and a#rse wiping Mervyn. I'm not ashamed and use toilet paper.

Most were fine, but as usual with a large quotient of Nordies and Mexicans together, there was occasional unacceptable edge. Found the same in Limerick, though strangely never in Galway. I believe the same type of North/ South sledging occurs even in GAA?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

It’s time for McFarland to go IMO. He’s taken us as far as he can.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:38 am 8. Why the awful yellow Jersey? We play in white, Leinster blue. No clash. End of.
It's our Heineken Cup kit. Not sure why we switched from red, but we did. With the number of yellow flags being handed out, I wonder are they preparing us for a first choice yellow kit next season? The Ulster provincial flag is yellow, and Ulster play in yellow in the GAA, so maybe they're going for consistent branding. Of course, that would mean Munster switching to blue, Connacht to white, and Leinster to green, making them the Ireland team in colours as well as players.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Have had negative experiences in Dublin, Limerick and Galway but I also know Southerers who have had negative experiences up here as well.

Back to the match. Trying to take a glass half full approach. As other have said we were effectively playing the number 1 ranked team in the world. They can sub Ireland starters with their Ireland bench replacements. The only way we were ever winning that was if Leinster didn't turn up and they did. They always looked like they had another gear. They had another match next week to keep in mind too.

We have a few young prospects who could do well if they buck the trend, knuckle down and don't believe their own hype.

At least there were no ifs and buts like the last time lol

That said... if only Stockdale had held on to JGP and Hume not got binned. Not seen a replay but it was close to our seat and he looked unlucky.

Leinster had a simple plan and executed. Any time we had possession it was ponderous. We gave away too many pens because we were creaking under the pressure. However there's no way Ulster were the only team offside the whole match. Pierce let the attacking side away with a lot. There were a few in the sides and diving off feet he just let go in important positions.

Nice to get a physical programme being of the old school. Managed to keep it dry too.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

The weather negated us having any chance in this game and without an effective long kicking game we were always going to lose the territory battle. In saying that leinster would have been quicker onto the ball and their power too much in the dry also.
Bobbie B hasn't challenged in the air effectively since he got carded straight from the kickoff against munster (?) a couple of seasons ago. It's really starting to hold back his game and he can kiss goodbye to any international honours until it improves. Its funny how there are always 3 leinster players just in front of the player trying to catch the ball. They aren't looking at attacking players or changing direction, just superb coaching and understanding of where to be to shield your teammate. Without having watched back yet, I thought Pearce gave leinster far too much benefit of the doubt at times (I.e. these guys are soo good they don't do anything wrong) and didn't give one harsh call against them. Wouldn't have changed the outcome but they didn't need any extra help.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

paddybrown wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:37 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:38 am 8. Why the awful yellow Jersey? We play in white, Leinster blue. No clash. End of.
It's our Heineken Cup kit. Not sure why we switched from red, but we did. With the number of yellow flags being handed out, I wonder are they preparing us for a first choice yellow kit next season? The Ulster provincial flag is yellow, and Ulster play in yellow in the GAA, so maybe they're going for consistent branding. Of course, that would mean Munster switching to blue, Connacht to white, and Leinster to green, making them the Ireland team in colours as well as players.
I know it is, and its awful. Its an obvious sop. Weve always played in white with Red away if theres a clash. We're not Ulster GAA. Rugby is supposed to be all island/ all communities sport. We're not GAA nor the OO.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

thecrouch wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:17 am It’s time for McFarland to go IMO. He’s taken us as far as he can.
I'm minded the same, but let's see what happens in the playoffs. If its the same old, same old, then defo needs reassessed. Its the repetition of the same strategic mistakes and bizaare selections that gets me. But would be costly with his new contract probably. What's Deccie and Les doing ? :duck:
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Really can't understand all the gurning. Ulster did really really well. That was a good performance. We were playing against Ireland at home. It's not exaggerating to say leinster would have been favourites against the all blacks (they would, ireland are well ahead in the world rankings). I know some dislike a plucky defeat but that was as good as we could hope for.

The aviva was buzzing it was better than most test matches, and the supporters I met from both sides were great craic.

Let's be honest we shouldn't have qualified for the knockout stages. Against that background we gave a good account of ourselves