Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

DodgyEverything
Novice

Re: Contract Situation

Post by DodgyEverything »

Starting today's announcements off with Warwick for 2 years, they had better be building to JTA/Cooney fs
Last edited by DodgyEverything on Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

nonplussed wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:30 am This wailing and gnashing of teeth rehgarding Jones etc is pash poor. He obviously offers a lot in training. Not every squad player is a match day player.
I hear he slices the oranges better than anyone
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

David McCann also to 2025.
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

nonplussed wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:54 pm I would disgree, front line players need to be training against skill and experience... pure muscle from the academy isnt enough.

NFL teams have a non playing roster for just this purpose
Or why not train against someone capable of challenging for your place!

Not sure NFL & Ulster is a good comparison. Given caps & roster numbers even practice squads will be filled with some pretty elite level athletes who I’m pretty sure are highly motivated to getting off the practice squad from a contract perspective.

Personally just think Jones isn’t a youngster anymore & not proven to have what it takes to challenge to be a starter so think we would be better looking for alternative options. Back row spots are key in any pro rugby squad.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ben Moxham to 2025.

2023 List

Rory Sutherland (short term), Callum Reid, John Andrew, Gareth Milasinovich, Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen, Sam Carter, Iain Henderson, Duane Vermeulen, Michael McDonald, Ian Madigan, Jake Flannery, Luke Marshall, Angus Curtis, Rob Lyttle, Jacob Stockdale, Aaron Sexton, Craig Gilroy

Unknown

John Cooney, Will Addison, Sean Reffell
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Rob Lyttle is off . Also Gilroy
..one more thing
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Assuming Jones is in and around our 7th choice in the back row, the immediate comparison would be to the Leinster equivalent with WIll Conors, but that isn't really fair on Jones and he may well be the best we have. From the outside I'd have hoped that some of the youngsters like Reuben Crothers would have made the cut and helped fill out the squad. Given he captained the U20s and looked good there I'd have almost expected it, but haven't personally seen much of him since.

i have memories of Ulster rugby parachuting some journeyman I've forgotten the name of in ahead of a (24 year old) Chris Henry when we'd a bit of an injury crisis, rather than giving the youngsters a chance and snippets like that have led to some cynicism, but that was quite a while ago and in fairness to McFarland for the most part he's been pretty proactive with giving the youngsters a chance.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

DodgyEverything wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:04 pm Starting today's announcements off with Warwick for 2 years, they had better be building to JTA/Cooney fs
If the choice was between JTA or a NIQ lock or flyhalf I’d be going for the flyhalf/lock.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Columbo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:46 pm Rob Lyttle is off Image. Also Gilroy
So we keep Moxham, someone who has yet to show anything other than he's a big lad with a limited skillset, over Rob Lyttle who, while not being a 1st choice, has proven himself to be an excellent finisher and in the past, a decent goalkicker?

Classic Ulster :lol: :lol:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Signing too many average players.. personally I don’t give a feck if Jones might be a half decent assistant coach he is being signed on a professional playing contract and is useless … as for cooney everyone crying out to sign him it was only a few weeks ago he was chasing every team in Scotland for a contract didn’t get one .. we need an overhaul for the umpteenth time
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
DodgyEverything
Novice

Big-al wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:53 pm
DodgyEverything wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:04 pm Starting today's announcements off with Warwick for 2 years, they had better be building to JTA/Cooney fs
If the choice was between JTA or a NIQ lock or flyhalf I’d be going for the flyhalf/lock.
That's fair and I'd agree, I was working on the assumption that a 10 or lock is unlikely given there's been no whispers of it AFAIK, and while Marty is working his way back from an ACL and TOT is at the WC somebody will have to cover. God help us if GM is the starting TH
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Not heard one whisper that we’ll be allowed to keep Jeff (who’ll be at the WC himself).

All being well, and with a bit of luck, Marty should be there or thereabouts come the start of the season. Buckley at Connacht was out for 8 months with his ACL (albeit I’m not sure he’s having the same impact these days).
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

So It Is wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:53 pm
So we keep Moxham, someone who has yet to show anything other than he's a big lad with a limited skillset, over Rob Lyttle who, while not being a 1st choice, has proven himself to be an excellent finisher and in the past, a decent goalkicker?

Classic Ulster :lol: :lol:
Lyttle is the type of squad player we should be looking to keep rather than Jones. Anytime called in always does a good job & is actually a threat! Would be interesting to know circumstances & would have hoped UR tried to keep him.

Moxham still only 21 so fine to give a contract but now needs to start showing something over the next couple of years as has had a few chances now.
Last edited by Tap+Go on Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Ridiculous decision to let Lyttle go and keep Moxham. Lyttle is one of our most deadly attackers.
WTAF?
DodgyEverything
Novice

justinr73 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:42 pm Not heard one whisper that we’ll be allowed to keep Jeff (who’ll be at the WC himself).

All being well, and with a bit of luck, Marty should be there or thereabouts come the start of the season. Buckley at Connacht was out for 8 months with his ACL (albeit I’m not sure he’s having the same impact these days).
that's also a fair point, forgot he was a Samoan intl now. There's a lot to be said to keep someone around who is both technically excellent and brings a bit of personality