Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:34 am
justinr73 wrote:Where do we stand on Reffell?

Think his tackle count is 53 3 in 167 minutes.

A hammy or two and ruptured ankle ligaments don’t shout congenital defects to me.
Don't stand on his congenitals, anyway.

Seriously, he could be a real asset but boy do Ulster pick em, injury wise.
😆

Maybe Marcus Rea stood on them and that’s why he was banished to Hinch?!
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:00 am

A hammy or two and ruptured ankle ligaments don’t shout congenital defects to me.

😆

Personally, I think Reffell is a cracking player who has been unlucky this year but he has already shown his value when he’s fit.
Sign him up.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

allezlesverres wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:40 am
StandUp wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:41 pm [

This is just an observation/question as I don’t give a f^ck about the IRFU or the Ireland team, but if the IRFU is a business, wouldn’t it make financial sense to make the four provinces as successful as possible?
As was posted elsewhere, there was an accusation of the IRFU rejoicing in Ulsters woes. Doesn’t really make a lot of sense.
This is total bilge. There's no way irfu rejoice in the suffering of any province. If irfu could have their dream scenario all provinces would be 1-4 in the urc and competing v each other for the heineken. Leinster are the favourite child and rightly so. Wealthy parents fund their kids through academy style training from early teens to feed into the leinster system. That costs irfu nothing and provides a cracking crop of players every year. Leinsters success isn't (all) irfu favoritism. It's mostly just wealthy fans paying for their kids to get coached like mad. None of that means irfu hate the other provinces. Look how much they sank into munster ffs.
This makes more sense to me. If all four provinces made up the semi’s for the URC and Heineken then that would be a lot more prize money. Correct?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:

This is just an observation/question as I don’t give a f^ck about the IRFU or the Ireland team, but if the IRFU is a business, wouldn’t it make financial sense to make the four provinces as successful as possible?
As was posted elsewhere, there was an accusation of the IRFU rejoicing in Ulsters woes. Doesn’t really make a lot of sense.
This is total bilge. There's no way irfu rejoice in the suffering of any province. If irfu could have their dream scenario all provinces would be 1-4 in the urc and competing v each other for the heineken. Leinster are the favourite child and rightly so. Wealthy parents fund their kids through academy style training from early teens to feed into the leinster system. That costs irfu nothing and provides a cracking crop of players every year. Leinsters success isn't (all) irfu favoritism. It's mostly just wealthy fans paying for their kids to get coached like mad. None of that means irfu hate the other provinces. Look how much they sank into munster ffs.
This makes more sense to me. If all four provinces made up the semi’s for the URC and Heineken then that would be a lot more prize money. Correct?
Playing devil's advocate here. Ireland are currently no 1 in the world, GrandSlam champs and very much on course for a dream rwc semi. Back in the day with the golden generation of BOD's Leinster backs plus Rog and POC's Munster pack. The provincial rivalry was greater and some have alluded to it's undoing of Ireland success. With the current Leinster dominance and the Ireland success (they can beat any side now), why change it? Discuss......
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:36 am
StandUp wrote:

Playing devil's advocate here. Ireland are currently no 1 in the world, GrandSlam champs and very much on course for a dream rwc semi. Back in the day with the golden generation of BOD's Leinster backs plus Rog and POC's Munster pack. The provincial rivalry was greater and some have alluded to it's undoing of Ireland success. With the current Leinster dominance and the Ireland success (they can beat any side now), why change it? Discuss......
Point well made. Dublin has always had private fee playing schools. I remember going down playing Blackrock, Clongowes Wood, Kings Hospital in the last century and these schools had facilities much better than my own then. Why has the gap widened so much? The money has always been there. Discuss.....

Other provinces asleep at the wheel.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

StandUp wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:07 am
justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:00 am

😆

Personally, I think Reffell is a cracking player who has been unlucky this year but he has already shown his value when he’s fit.
Sign him up.
+1
Exterminate all rational thought
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Private schools in Dublin have the benefit of a large rural population remote from good educational establishments thus wealth farmers rich on the benefits of the common agricultural policies of the EC seen their sons to boarding schools --

Having been to one -- boarders live and breath sport -- the boarding department was less than a 1/3 of the school pupils but made up over 3/5 of every team from U13 - first XV.

They continue train when the day boys go home not one day a week but 6 days a week, the closeness created by the common experience of boarding meant they were usually close buddies . You couldn't afford to be out -- although after the rugby season friendships sometimes disappeared as familiarity breeds contempt.

Similarly Boarding schools pay teaching staff more if they take sport and I sense in some schools the coaching is an agreed format from under 13 -- first 15 -- rather than some reluctant gent handed a whistle to watch big boy run rugby and add a few pounds at the end of the month . -- practice podding --rucking and mauling your joking a few sprints between the 1/2 and the try line and passing the ball that's training for u13 s add weights for the 1st XV

Boarders are possibly practicing podding every afternoon
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:48 pm
thecrouch wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:36 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:51 pm
Cockatrice wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:24 pm
bangorboy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:40 pm I wonder what the going rate is for the likes or Curtis, Moxham and Sexton?

Are Ulster paying top dollar for squad filler and fringe players?
Read my earlier post … according to reports £100,000 for those top players not in IQ contracts of which we only have two sooner to be one probably non if the other goes overseas as muted .. they get much more.
£60-£70,000 for team player
£30,000 for fillers
Up to £10,000 for Academy player
Top earner £600,000 for Vermulean albeit a large part of his wage is apparently for a third party .. how does that work.
So an academy player earns up to £10k, I'm guessing from the age of 18? For that amount needless to say they need a proper job, so aren't working full time on their potential rugby career. For forwards it is said that it usually takes a few years until they are physically ready for first team rugby. My question is why do we not pay academy people a proper salary from 18 so they can train full time and be prepared for playing at a younger age?
Remember that most academy players are students. They get a low salary from rugby, but they also get a lot of expenses paid. They get helped out with their food and their housing. They'll still have a far better lifestyle than any of their mates working weekends stacking shelves.

The way the system works is the IRFU pay every single player, even the non internationals. All players are put into buckets, test players, fringe test players, senior provincial players, squad players and then development etc. Each bucket has a salary band that the IRFU are willing to pay.

The IRFU might decide that they will pay senior provincial players a max of €120k a year. If someone like Luke Marshall is on €150k a year, then the IRFU will send Ulster a bill for €30k at the end of the season which Ulster need to pay from their own pocket.

Ulster don't have total control over the salary structure. The Leinster / Munster / Connacht academy will pay similar salaries for their players.
Thanks Crouch, was not aware Dublin had so much control on salaries. Conclusion to me is what is the point in having Petrie and Bryn, the more control Dublin have the less need for two decision makers at their level at Belfast branch
Would assume that Bryn's main area of work would be in approaching potential signings and convincing them they want to come to Ulster. Doubt anyone in Dublin would be busting a gut to do that for us. Would further assume, but could be miles out that Petrie would be the one putting pressure on Dublin for Ulster to be allowed to sign players identified by Bryn/Dan/???? required to strengthen our squad.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:34 am Where do we stand on Reffell?

Don't stand on him at all, and certainly not on his tackle! :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Point well made.
Who, me?

Look ma, I made a point (well).
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Confirmation of Rob Lyttle's departure.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's a bit weird. Just saying he's not playing anymore.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

IRFU announced central contracts etc for James Ryan and Van Der Flier earlier, may get confirmation of a new one for Henderson (assuming he is staying v going to Japan).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Can't see hendy getting one. A reduced Ulster deal will be offered but he should think about a big pay day.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dave wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:56 pm Can't see hendy getting one. A reduced Ulster deal will be offered but he should think about a big pay day.
Was apparently offered a cc and also made an offer in Japan according to media reports.