Plastic Pitch

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Plastic Pitch

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:Why is a planning application needed? It's a fricken pitch in a sports stadium not a new structure. Clearly we are living in communist Sweden.
Apparently it's a change of use. There might be some rugby played on it next year.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:46 pm Why is a planning application needed? It's a fricken pitch in a sports stadium not a new structure. Clearly we are living in communist Sweden.
You just used the word, 'fricken'!!!

I'll never be able to take fashion advice from you again.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:15 pm
MightyRearranger wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:05 pm I don't know the costs, but think they are definitely more expensive. You'd like to think if the Turnips can afford it given their financial woes we can too.
Turnips aren't paying for their pitch I am guessing, IRFU covering it. Munster owe Dublin much money from Thomond Park build etc.
if the IRFU are covering it, that will stunt the growth of the grass bit shirley?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:46 pm Why is a planning application needed? It's a fricken pitch in a sports stadium not a new structure. Clearly we are living in communist Sweden.
You just used the word, 'fricken'!!!

I'll never be able to take fashion advice from you again.
that's fair
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

Too old to have played rugby on an artificial pitch but I’ve played football on both 3G and 4G.

Have to say I much prefer 3G despite the black crumb covering shoes and lower legs. My old knees can’t cope with 4G so had to stop playing on it. I think it’s likely to cause ware and tear problems as well as the supposed higher risk of serious injuries.
One does not simply walk into Ulster
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Petrie making it sound like no decision has been made yet.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Amazing if installed for this autumn.
In any event, crowd funding for spare blankets started for winter frosts. If each ST brought one double bed quilt or blanket,………..?
I know some mathematicians on here will work that out for me
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

So 3G it is: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65444101
I don't know much about these things, what's the difference between 3G and 4G? Is there a 5G?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Plastic pitch not a solution re the frozen pitch v La Rochelle. They can freeze too, Glasgow had to move a Parker Pen pool game to the Library in December.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:52 pm So 3G it is: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65444101
I don't know much about these things, what's the difference between 3G and 4G? Is there a 5G?
5G gives you cancer. Everybody knows that.

Anybody know if my Nokia 3310 will still work after they've installed the new pitch?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:58 pm
solidarity wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:52 pm So 3G it is: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65444101

Anybody know if my Nokia 3310 will still work after they've installed the new pitch?
If the pitch is 3G, we are all stuffed if the government's emergency call comes when we're watching Ulster on a Friday night!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

https://www.slattersportsconstruction.c ... y-pitches/

Summary of key differences at link above. I think most of our own experiences of plastic pitches have been football or hockey ones and noone would ever suggest playing rugby on one of those. The extra padding under a rugby pitch means the ball doesn't bounce as much and has a bit of give when going to ground. Having been on the disco arena pitch it did feel very forgiving underfoot and a massive difference from the hockey style ones I've been on before.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

jean valjean wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:54 pm https://www.slattersportsconstruction.c ... y-pitches/

Summary of key differences at link above. I think most of our own experiences of plastic pitches have been football or hockey ones and noone would ever suggest playing rugby on one of those. The extra padding under a rugby pitch means the ball doesn't bounce as much and has a bit of give when going to ground. Having been on the disco arena pitch it did feel very forgiving underfoot and a massive difference from the hockey style ones I've been on before.
Many thanks JV.

Looks like the ballpark cost is around £1million for a surface that will last 10 years, then £150,000 to refurbish (for another 10 years?)
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:

It will if you are vaxed. The microchips will put your thoughts directly into a WhatsApp group.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:34 am
Cockatrice wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:35 pm
jean valjean wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:58 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:Planning application has gone in naming a 3G surface.

Ulster rugby website press release had stated 4G, along with BBC and Bel Tel articles.

Relief it is 3G as 4G isn't suitable for rugby.
Planning application only in now? And they expect to have approval for new season?
Old boy network will be full pace to get permission through in time for next season. Blessing is RWC and the delayed season start but it will need to start by May… I suspect the planning has been sorted as the next BCc Planning committee meeting won’t be until 20th June.

My understanding of 4G is that it still isn’t approved and is without the infill which is the cause of cancer health concerns.. ELT infill being used
You're correct Cocker, 4G is not approved, not rejected either, but a case by case basis. My own opinion 4G okay for non contact running drills and training, but not okay for contact and match play falling on. What is odd is that planning permission has been submitted for the approved World Rugby 3G surface, therefore why are all of the press releases advising 4G.

What are we getting? Assume planning permission is correct, so please Ulster rugby get your public relations team up to speed with your press releases.
What you need to know ?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU