Ulster v Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Connacht

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:12 pm
thecrouch wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:59 pm
justinr73 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:53 pm Can’t help thinking that a couple of you are glad we lost.

And watching on the tele no doubt.
You really want to try play this card tonight?
Yeah, have a whinge when you have a bit of skin in the game by all means.

What does an UR season cost you?

A subscription to Viaplay?

And I bet you cancel that during the summer…
:lol: :lol:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:06 pm
justinr73 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:53 pm Can’t help thinking that a couple of you are glad we lost.

Nah, I was there. I'm not glad, but if this clears the stink let's get on with it. Are you still one of the brill brigade Justin? :scratch:

BTW the crowd played their part- so all the BS about no 16 man- cr*p
Never posted on Bakebook in my life so unlikely...

It was an extremely disappointing showing. The fact that pretty much a third of the squad is moving on was a worrying look from the get go.

Not sure about the crowd tbh. Brace tried his best to stir things up.

It picked up towards the end but it was hardly La Rochelle or Clermont.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:
thecrouch wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:59 pm

You really want to try play this card tonight?
Yeah, have a whinge when you have a bit of skin in the game by all means.

What does an UR season cost you?

A subscription to Viaplay?

And I bet you cancel that during the summer…
Not even. I can stream it by other means.

Don't listen to them. We are still second....
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Hard to take but is anyone really surprised after this season? We were lucky to finish 2nd in a one team league. There has been zero progress this season from where we were last year and for that Dan must carry the can. Losing Payne, promoting soper and bringing in bell has been a complete disaster. The players haven't lost talent so the coaching must take the blame. Thinking players who are leaving this season will have the fight and desire when it really matters smacks of serious mismanagement and questions must be asked. Expect nothing but the usual platitudes; disappointed in our performance, we will take the learnings and come back stronger next season. Except we won't.
Chris Montez
Novice

Post by Chris Montez »

My only regret tonight is that Ulster didn't lose by the 30.point margin they deserved. No consistency in selection, tactics, application or results for a number of years. As soon as any pressure comes on ulster fold. Time to get rid of the dead wood in the admin and coaching team. To lose because of attitude, approach and application should never be acceptable- unless you are Ulster or Tottenham it seems. Dan coming on and praising their breakdown is a right two fingers to us all - was his job to ensure it never happened.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

You know what the worst thing is lads?

This time next year we'll be sitting here having the same conversation about Ulster falling short.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

thecrouch wrote:You know what the worst thing is lads?

This time next year we'll be sitting here having the same conversation about Ulster falling short.
I think the conversation might be earlier.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

We are shyte. I've been a season ticket holder for more than 20 years. I went along tonight convinced we would lose. We lost. We are shyte. Discuss.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

You's are all full of sh!te.

We are brill. End of.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

thecrouch wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:26 pm You know what the worst thing is lads?

Can't see that team getting 2nd place in the league next year. I mean htf did they do it this year?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BR wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:49 pm
thecrouch wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:26 pm You know what the worst thing is lads?

Can't see that team getting 2nd place in the league next year. I mean htf did they do it this year?
Agree with this, we undoubtedly have a weaker squad as a whole next season than we had this season. First choice 23 if all fit much of a muchness, however we won't go through next season injury free.

I'm not one for the over reaction after a game (been there before), I did come up with one question in my head on the stunned walk out of Ravenhill......

When was the last time we won a game that going into pre match we did not expect to win?
I came up with Toulouse away, but that was tarnished because of a 10 minute red card. Therefore ruled it out.
We haven't won one game over the last three seasons we were underdogs for. Sure beating Leinster home and away last season was pleasing but it was Leinster lite.

Winning a game you're not expected to win is progress, winning another game you're not expected to win in the same season cements progress. I'm drawing a blank over the last three seasons to pull a fixture out I would consider answers my question. On the flip side I can point to a few that we never expected to lose.

#McFarseland out

Thanks for taking us from a ridiculous low, no doubt you've improved us, but we're now at a crossroads. New ideas needed.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Contesting the breakdown is a gamble -- when Ulster did contest the breakdown they got penalised -- for doing what Connaught were doing all night -- Damned if you do and Damned if you don't .

Beaten 5 penalties to a try and a penalty with Brace as referee can't be conceived as unexpected.

Unfortunately Billy Burns is not an out half to do the loop he can't straighten the attack running across the pitch and his pass is to weak to get the ball out to the wing quickly enough.

It was a scrappy game with players trying to hard individually getting isolated and turned over for all the gripping about missed tackles the fact is Connaught never scored a try -- which says something about the defence

The fact is Ulster seemed over cooked which made Connaught's task to easy
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
turko
Novice
Location: Exiled but heart remains at the cathedral on match day

Post by turko »

I am generally a positive person but tonight was horrific. We (in my opinion) had better players in most positions, were at home and playing a team that finished 5 places below us in the table. To lose therefore has to be about culture and mindset. Possibly a bit of wrong tactics too. Whatever that all comes from the coaching team. To soft. Serious changes now required in my view
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

After 22 years we’re not renewing our STs. To be clear, not because of that shitshow tonight, it’s a long oul haul up and down to Fermanagh on a winter evening and it’s getting pricey, but part of me wondered/hoped I might change my mind after seeing a rip roaring, cracking game in ideal weather, with a great atmosphere. Must admit there were some good memories in the last ten minutes but overall the same old. Blunt attack, one trick ponies, schoolboy outhalf, outmuscled completely, tactically inept. It was all so predictable as well, and the coach hinting that coming 2nd is progression just underlines a lack of reality. The truth is that we finished joint 5th with three other teams, which when you look at the drivel that the six Welsh and Italian teams played, gives a more accurate picture of where professional rugby in Ulster is at. We’ll still be up half a dozen times next year, never fear, but until a reality dawns in BT6, nothing will ever change. Well done to the lovely people from Galway, demographics no issue there!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:18 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:06 pm

Nah, I was there. I'm not glad, but if this clears the stink let's get on with it. Are you still one of the brill brigade Justin? :scratch:

BTW the crowd played their part- so all the BS about no 16 man- cr*p
Never posted on Bakebook in my life so unlikely...

It was an extremely disappointing showing. The fact that pretty much a third of the squad is moving on was a worrying look from the get go.

Not sure about the crowd tbh. Brace tried his best to stir things up.

It picked up towards the end but it was hardly La Rochelle or Clermont.
Who would you have started instead though?

Moving on or not, the prospect of a s/f and final should have provided some motivation
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall