Where do we go from here?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I think this season was the defining one SUFTUM but there have been so many lows, and same old same old issues not fixed, added to bizarre and maybe malign non selections that I feel he's run his course. His own responses recently added to a guy allegedly interviewing elsewhere suggests he maybe thinks he has run his course.

If it's not sorted now I believe we will be here next season, if not worse. This isn't the first "failed" season- progress stalled last year.
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Mon May 08, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exterminate all rational thought
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

Heres a question for King, does your insight extend beyond player recruitment?
What exactly is the organisational structure of UR. Petrie CEO, Cunningham, Director of Ops but is that it. Is there a mangement board? Who ensures the aforementioned deliver on whatever KPI's, if any, that are set. I can see the Management Committee and its members. All sucessful in their respective fields of business and no doubt not because the suffer fools gladly - certainly would imagine David Dobbin would be a tough nut.

When things on the pitch are falling apart and results are not being acheived who wields the big stick?

Any ideas King?
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

I think what Hendy does will be very telling about what’s going on behind the scenes.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Hawkeye wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:10 pm I think what Hendy does will be very telling about what’s going on behind the scenes.
Agreed.
What's the hold up? He's not leaving himself much time to pick up a new contract elsewhere.
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

horslips wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:06 pm Heres a question for King, does your insight extend beyond player recruitment?
What exactly is the organisational structure of UR. Petrie CEO, Cunningham, Director of Ops but is that it. Is there a mangement board? Who ensures the aforementioned deliver on whatever KPI's, if any, that are set. I can see the Management Committee and its members. All sucessful in their respective fields of business and no doubt not because the suffer fools gladly - certainly would imagine David Dobbin would be a tough nut.

When things on the pitch are falling apart and results are not being acheived who wields the big stick?

Any ideas King?
There is a professional game board that I presume would oversee all decisions in the pro game? Although having checked that out it seems that Dan, Bryn and Petrie along with the academy manager plus Simon Best and the treasurer are the only ones on it.

It is hard to know which committee would make any calls around removal of people from positions of power. I doubt we have enough money to be paying anybody off at present given that tightening of the purse strings around the playing squad.
Ethel
Novice

Post by Ethel »

Big Changes needed , however big , someone has to go.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ethel wrote:Big Changes needed , however big , someone has to go.
You're not immune either. Has your tea been good enough? What about those burnt sausage rolls last week?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

If we all change our expectaion to accepting that we are the 4th province, with players that maybe good enough but are actually don't care as much as the fans, then everyone will be happy... Its the fans fault for thinking we should be any good... Sack the fans!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:40 am
kingofthehill wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:07 am
rumncoke wrote:A New forwards coach --

A change in out half and new attack coach and a new on field leader group
McFarland is the head honcho!

Some questions

1. Some is accountable for extending McFarland- who?
2. Has McFarland lost the dressing room? If the answer is yes then he has to go.
3. With him signing such a long extension it has huge problems. He’s not going to resign as he won’t get pay off and by sounds of it incredibly stubborn. Ulster probably don’t have the money to pay him off the time he has left.
4. If we are stuck with him and the dressing room is lost then what is ahead of us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1. Assume Petrie as CEO?
2 &3 He's lost some players at least- I suspect that's true. I'd love to hear DV, Carter, Sutherlands opinions. Too much negativity and rumour around this squad for some of it at least not to be true. Rea in the stands? Sheridan water carrier? Ongoing baffling selections- no inury updates that would at least clear some of the stench- Was a fit Luke not even on the bench? We saw it with Cowboy and Kiss too near the end. Media skirting it but they sniff big issues I suspect. An extended contract was madness- all coaches have a lifespan- he's reached his.
4. Agreed- and if you were a new head coach would you want Dans legacy team or your own? Huge cost to clear all at once. Btw what exactly does Malone do?

The future? Mid table mediocrity with the odd unexpected blue chip win and diminishing home support as people spend their money elsewhere. We can't even be called a development province- who are we developing, apart from supplying Leinster with the odd hooker? A slow bleed as we fall off- Leireland Stormers, Weegies,
Turnips, Edinburgh have better squads/ better coached. Bulls and Sharks will surely get better given their quality. Connact backing and DEVELOPING/ Improving young talent, Benetton on an upward curve- next year, finish ahead of the Welsh and Italians will be seen as "progress?"
After the Demographics whinge, Dan sounded like a coach out of ideas, inspiration and motivation.
If he has anything about him, stand down.
Why does everyone overlook the C word

Cunningham
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

nonplussed wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:47 am If we all change our expectaion to accepting that we are the 4th province, with players that maybe good enough but are actually don't care as much as the fans, then everyone will be happy... Its the fans fault for thinking we should be any good... Sack the fans!
It’s the Ulster are Brill Brigade that are the issue there.. they still think we are the best
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

Rory as DOR

JP as head coach - probably has a 6 month clause if he's a already signed a contract

Sometimes you have to write the cheque - sell the houses
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Just to be clear on the list of outs:
McFarseland
Cunningham
Petrie
FIRFU
Kingspan
New Sparky
Billy Burns
Ethel

Have I missed anyone or anything?
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Dave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:25 pm Just to be clear on the list of outs:
McFarseland
Cunningham
Petrie
FIRFU
Kingspan
New Sparky
Billy Burns
Ethel

Fans, you missed fans!
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Where do we go from here?

Post by kingofthehill »

TheUlsterTruth wrote:Rory as DOR

JP as head coach - probably has a 6 month clause if he's a already signed a contract

Sometimes you have to write the cheque - sell the houses
Now come on, you’re writing the cheque for Payne and BestImage

If you insist on staying close to home (for whatever reason Ulster fans seem to love) surely you’re going to McCall for DOR with his proven track record and not Rory who just retired and has absolutely no experience.
Head coach….if you want to write cheques then you get Jamie Joseph or Tony Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by kingofthehill on Tue May 09, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

nonplussed wrote:
Dave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:25 pm Just to be clear on the list of outs:
McFarseland
Cunningham
Petrie
FIRFU
Kingspan
New Sparky
Billy Burns
Ethel

Fans, you missed fans!
Just to be clear on the list of outs:
McFarseland
Cunningham
Petrie
FIRFU
Kingspan
New Sparky
Billy Burns
Ethel
The fans (see Justinr for a list of armchair stockists).