Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tap+Go
Novice

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Tap+Go »

HammerTime wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:41 am
kingofthehill wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:24 am
HammerTime wrote:We should have one of the best youth systems about by now considering we have had a decade now with a free stadium which is a big money generator compared to before. And unlike others who only rent/are in big debt. Instead, we've blown the loot on expensive journeymen and still have gotten nowhere.
The significance of the Academy in Leinster is the same as Ulsters. It’s about what happens before.

Consider the substantial investments pouring into the Dublin schools, albeit not from Leinster itself.

The Dublin schools boast well-compensated coaches who attract top-tier coaching talent. A striking contrast arises when comparing the earnings of Belfast’s 1st XV coaches to Dublin’s U13 coaches. While one earns significantly below the minimum wage, the other enjoys a generous income.

This dichotomy extends to the realm of extracurricular teachers in Ulster, where their numbers are dwindling. This is only going to get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I'm talking about schools as well why aren't UR heavily involved in programs/coaching/guidance and of course dishing out a few bob/grants? Schools seem to be left to their own devices.
Pathway coaches do go into schools but approach seems to be more they take just a few sessions with main aim to identify any potential talented players not in the pathway. They then will invite them to a relevant session – whether the regional development sessions or provincial sessions they run weekly.

Hence to KOTH’s point why so many kids seem to be involved in an Ulster training session. Means they hit multiple players and schools/clubs through a few centralised sessions from a small number of coaches.

While will be of benefit particularly to kids from clubs or smaller schools maybe not getting top quality coaching it no way addresses the gap to a kid in a bigger Belfast school never mind the mini academies in the Dublin private schools. Will always get a few gems coming through but will never be in big numbers. Would take significant investment in quality coaches at a greater number of clubs/schools to start to address the gap. I often wonder why some of the bigger clubs in Ulster don’t have their senior coaches coaching at the youth level or going into the local school. Should be a number of decent coaches but they seem to concentrate on the senior level and parents are taking the youths – seems too late to me and if they invested more of their coaching time in the youth it could start to reap benefits down the line but likely down to short term nature of the coaches & extra money they’d want.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

(1-8) George Saunderson, Zac Solomon(u20), Scott Wilson, Joe Hopes(u20), Charlie Irvine, James McNabney, Josh Stevens(u20), Lorcan McLaughlin

(15-9) Rory Telfer, Lukas Kenny(u20), Rory Ellerby(u20), Ben Carson, Ethan Graham(u20), James Humphreys, Conor McKee

Replacements: Henry Walker(u19), Jack Boal, Cameron Doak, James McKillop(u20), Mark Lee(u20), Ryan Davies, Bryn Ward(u20), Zach Quirke, Henry Boyle(u20), Ben Gibson(u20), Ben McFarlane(u20), James Girvan(u20), Jacob Boyd(u20)
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Anyone streaming from Ballynahinch? Lovely to see the squad and Academy updated so early but where is Kitshoff ?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Uuh
Playing in a World Cup?
Tough call😂
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Setanta wrote:Anyone streaming from Ballynahinch? Lovely to see the squad and Academy updated so early but where is Kitshoff ?
Kits off in the changing room.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opin ... 11379.html

Hopefully not behind paywall
Frank Mitchell bemoaning lack of GAA talent in Irish Rugby
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

ulster dev lost 56-0
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Bayern wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:02 pm ulster dev lost 56-0
What a total and utter embarassment. When are heads going to roll? A shìtßtorm of incompetence.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

What a cracking summer for Ulster youth/Ulster development. Fk me.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

FYI connachts side was much stronger experience wise than Ulster dev
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Ulster's teams were pretty strong! Image

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Strong enough to make it a closer game.

Very poor result.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

>fiddle
shamalicious wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:53 am Ulster's teams were pretty strong! Image

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
the ulster dev side was much more inexperienced and younger than the connacht side.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

No Ulster side on any level should be losing 56-0.