Where do we go from here?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Aird
Squire

Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by Aird »

It is interesting to see how a few clubs in Bankruptcy can change the whole scene around. The Celtic League was seen by the English Media as the poor relation . How things have changed. Experience of the ERC has shown all abiding self interest of the English Premiership Clubs you only have to look at their relationship with their second Tier Championship.
I think that until the RFU have control of all rugby in England and the clubs are beingr brought into line rather than dictating to the RFU it is none starter.
I know that England are into the Semi final as the only unbeaten team but look who they have played and the way they have played against the potential pool of players inEngland. They are even struggling at U 20 level and ther clubs are relying on overseas players even more so than Ireland. .
Unless there is wholesale changes in the administration of English rugby we should steer clear.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Would it be getting into bed with the devil? They might be keen while times are tough, but if things turn the corner, how long before they start trying to get tv revenue etc split based on geographic location rather than evenly, or similar (I.e. England = 60 million, Scotland = 6, so English clubs should get 10x the tv money). They've already tried similar with the ERC and 6 nations.

In principal I wouldn't be against the idea of a UK and Ireland league, but would need to be one union one vote or similar. Keep the Bruce Craigs and Nigel Wrays of this world the feck away from control.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bargepole or sh*tty stick comes to mind. Why let them parasitize a newly successful league and f*CK it up. They are the Boris Johnston's of rugby
Exterminate all rational thought
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

They will convince themselves we need them more than they need us. Sound familiar?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I have long been an advocate of a European league of two 14 teams with top 4 teams in the pools playing off for league winner.

8 french 8 english 4 Irish 4 welsh 2 Scottish 2 Italian

Pool A /B 4 english 4 french 2 Irish 2 Welsh 1 Scottish 1 italian

If you include 4 SA sides it becomes 4 pools of 8

The fixture list fills out having local provincial games for best English/French etc side with maybe playoffs In England and France for promotion into the pools

There is no doubt that international club games seem to add to the gate as do internal rivalries for best team in each nation and such a league set up could demand more Money from TV divided in the ratio of national teams in the League ie a fairer speed of TV money

The french have the best TV deal because french TV lacks access to most other sports absorbed by Sky
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist