Ulster v Lions

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Lions

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:53 am
big mervyn wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:19 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:33 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:11 am
justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:08 am23
:salut:

And nearly all.Ulster born. One bright point.
I was only guessing but No9 hasn’t corrected me (yet)!

Predictably, last night’s fare has already prompted calls in some quarters for fresh coaches 🙄

Shame Wilson didn’t end up under the posts in front of the Family Stand - he’s no slouch by any means.
From the memorial end it looked as if the wet surface and his not inconsiderable mass x velocity would be enough from there, but alas no. Would have been the try of the season so far.
Definitely a sight to behold from side-ways on. He backed up an excellent debut with another great performance.

I can't wait to see what he can manage when he's built his fitness to that required at this level. He looks an exciting propsect.
Cue him stalling his development and ending up at Ealing Trailfinders... Good old UR prop development pathway...
Do we have a gym and S&C or is it for tik tokers?
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exterminate all rational thought
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:50 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:44 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:13 pm Bobby still pulling up short and not engaging in garryowens.
Frustrating.

My view is that he has learnt when to compete and when to wait for his opponent to land and then tackle him.

He does challenge for the ball if he's up quickly enough to do so, but if he sees he can't challenge in the air, he's at least waiting for his opponnent to hit the ground.

He's quick to start the chase when a kick goes up, giving himself the best chance to compete, but is able to decide when the ball is in the air whether he can win it legally - that is better than being a penalty machine for the opposition. He still goes up nearly every time when it's the opposition who put up a high ball on his wing.

He still doesn't come looking for the ball when it's not reaching his wing though in the way Jacob does, but that may or may not be under orders to hold his opponent wide. It surely can't be all the time though.
Capn I trace it back to the time he got a suspension for a poor aerial challenge a couple of years ago- hasn't competed with the same venom since and visibly pulls up more often than not. Opponents know they have a clear jump to secure and present on his wing.
I know where yer coming from on that one, but the incident you refer to wasn't "a couple of years ago", it was against Munster in December 2018 - 5 years ago and only a few weeks after he made his debut, so really there is very little to compare with prior to the incident.

Memories of him competing for the ball in the air are actually since that event, so I doubt any lack of competition now is down to that challenge and subsequent citing 5 years ago.

I do share your concern about lack of competing for our own Garry-Owens, but have read a few articles quoting players (not just at Ulster) about how the up-and-under is deliberatley slightly too long so not intended for chasers to challenge for the ball in the air, but instead for the opposition to catch and possiby knock-on (unlikely but possible), or, more likely, for the chaser to wrap the catcher and compete for the ball as they land and are unstable, with the intention of winning turn-over ball or a penalty.

Whether this is what Bobby has been doing, or even whether this is a good tactic is debatable, but it fits with what I have read and heard about, and not just Ulster tactics.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:58 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:53 am
big mervyn wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:19 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:33 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:11 am
:salut:

And nearly all.Ulster born. One bright point.
I was only guessing but No9 hasn’t corrected me (yet)!

Predictably, last night’s fare has already prompted calls in some quarters for fresh coaches 🙄

Shame Wilson didn’t end up under the posts in front of the Family Stand - he’s no slouch by any means.
From the memorial end it looked as if the wet surface and his not inconsiderable mass x velocity would be enough from there, but alas no. Would have been the try of the season so far.
Definitely a sight to behold from side-ways on. He backed up an excellent debut with another great performance.

I can't wait to see what he can manage when he's built his fitness to that required at this level. He looks an exciting propsect.
Cue him stalling his development and ending up at Ealing Trailfinders... Good old UR prop development pathway...
Do we have a gym and S&C or it for tik tokers?
Well ... he backed but his "free hit" last week with an equally impressive performance starting on Friday when the level of expectation had increased exponentially.

He IS the Messiah I tell ya ... and I should know, I've seen quite a few :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:13 pm Bobby still pulling up short and not engaging in garryowens.
Frustrating.
My view is that he has learnt when to compete and when to wait for his opponent to land and then tackle him.

He does challenge for the ball if he's up quickly enough to do so, but if he sees he can't challenge in the air, he's at least waiting for his opponnent to hit the ground.

He's quick to start the chase when a kick goes up, giving himself the best chance to compete, but is able to decide when the ball is in the air whether he can win it legally - that is better than being a penalty machine for the opposition. He still goes up nearly every time when it's the opposition who put up a high ball on his wing.

He still doesn't come looking for the ball when it's not reaching his wing though in the way Jacob does, but that may or may not be under orders to hold his opponent wide. It surely can't be all the time though.
BB has so much latent talent, pace and indeed defensive guts, but somethings not right, and i don't believe its just him not going hunting for the ball or indeed tactical.
He should've had a hatful of caps by now- Keet at the RWC was a case in point for both wingers, but at least JS is back on an upward trajectory- i'd love to see BB doing similar.

I have changed my opinion on him being lazy- it's a mental thing imo.
CI - are ye talkin about Billy Burns and Johnny Sexton now? :D :stir:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bart S wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:48 am
Frustrating.

BB has so much latent talent, pace and indeed defensive guts, but somethings not right, and i don't believe its just him not going hunting for the ball or indeed tactical.
He should've had a hatful of caps by now- Keet at the RWC was a case in point for both wingers, but at least JS is back on an upward trajectory- i'd love to see BB doing similar.

I have changed my opinion on him being lazy- it's a mental thing imo.
CI - are ye talkin about Billy Burns and Johnny Sexton now? :D :stir:
Whoops :cheers: - Billy wishes....
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Billy seemed less than impressed with the decision to go for the tap.

He wasn’t necessarily arguing in favour of another scrum but we need better decision-making at key moments.

I’d make him captain.
TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

Is McCann using one lifter for his lineout steals?