Bath v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Bath v Ulster

Post by thecrouch »

MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:35 pm Paddy Power make Bath seven point favourites, Ulster are 11/4 to for the win outright.
Seems about right. I think we'll do well to get a LBP, I think we're low on confidence. Bath are 2nd in the Premiership, they'll fancy it and they'll know that we're a really flaky side.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Big-al wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:48 pm
MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:23 pm Couple of big surprises in there:
- Sheridan's absence - very hard to explain from what I've seen, unless there's an injury
- AOC starting - has been a shadow of himself this year, maybe picked for the lineout?
I agree that O’Connor is on the wane, he’s too short to be an effective lineout jumper though, but his selection speaks volumes for how poor Treadwell has been this season, in my opinion.
AOC is light enough to get thrown up in the air easily enough - he wins plenty of decent ball.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

thecrouch wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:43 pm
MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:35 pm Paddy Power make Bath seven point favourites, Ulster are 11/4 to for the win outright.
Seems about right. I think we'll do well to get a LBP, I think we're low on confidence. Bath are 2nd in the Premiership, they'll fancy it and they'll know that we're a really flaky side.
We saw what happened against an in-form English side on their turf this time last year!

Fortunately, Bath aren’t as physical as Sale.

We desperately need Big Stu to stand up.

He’s literally carried us for a couple of years but the World Cup hangover/sleepless nights/funny coloured boots seem to have affected him this term.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Imo McLoskey has been poor for a season and a half now. Exceptional before that but strange only got international recognition very recently during this poorer form (IMO!) His barnstorming runs carrying 3/4/5 defenders with him are a very rare sight nowadays.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well yeah but his game has evolved and he was still very much a shining light last season.

Top of offloads, second in successful carries and joint third in turnovers last season for Ulster in the URC.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Big Stu is always good for 1 or 2 braindead penalties at ruck time.

You could argue that its good that he's playing on the edge but there's been a few (1 toward the end of the game against Munster springs to mind) where he does something idiotic when there is little to no pressure from the opposition.q
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

AOC is a far better mauler and tight technician than treadwell. We will need plenty of dirty work v Bath. I’d back AOC than KT….who’s gone missing in action more times than Chuck Norris!!!
AOC is too small we all know that, the guy has more dog than Treadwell.

Cooney over Doak every day of the week, for me a bad call.

Personally I’d have a severe policy as there is clearly an attitude issue. Anyone not an int choice or a good provincial performer should be considered for a non contract renewal. Too many mediocre performers, and accepted. Madness.
I’d be interested to see a belfast based player told - no contract. How that might affect the environment too many cushy players for me.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:35 pm
justinr73 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:13 pm I wasn’t as convinced as others that playing the French sides in Belfast and the English sides away was a particularly great set of fixtures.

Not only did it ruin my holiday plans but I’m pretty sure that the reverse would have seen us qualify comfortably.

If we don’t find another gear from somewhere, we’ll lose the bloody lot.
Absolutely hate this format, but do think this is the best we could have hoped for. The other way round we'd likely limp into the round of 16 for a shoeing away somewhere, on form this'd give us a good chance of home knockout fixtures, which is something Ulster definitely need to balance the books after last year. I'm not overly confident, but frankly if we can't get two wins from these fixtures we don't deserve to be in the knock out stages.
We could plausibly being looking after 0-4. On current form I struggle to see us beating anyone other than maybe Quins or if the French get fixated with Top 14. Underholl will do a number I suspect
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Plenty of fans on the Bristol flight, hoping the weather clears up by kick off time….
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

While McNabney and Sheridan have more potential than either Rea both are a year short of fulfilling it . Both need a year in the Gym to bulk up and gain confidence to use their physical presence to face more experienced opponents . they get knocked aside to easily to contest a turn over.

For proof look what a year has done for McCann.

I sense a lot of prejudice in the Doak / Cooney argument -- to few here recognise that Doak has the best pass since the Ginger Prince in sureness and length -- seldom is a Doak pass knocked on or a receiver getting man and ball . And Cooney did himself no favours when there was talk of a switch to Scotland before the world cup.

My own take would be that either Mcnabney or Sheridan or both will play in the second row rather than the back row since neither seem to be future ball winners at the break down and in the mean time we face Playing a fading AOC or KT with a fading injury prone Henderson. playing AoC be for KT makes sense since a few extra pounds when the forwards are fading might steady the pack late in the second half.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

There's a preview interview with Baloucoune on the BBC. He's looking forward to getting to play on grass...
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Currently heavy rain on what is, Lest We Forget, officially DAY 6167. And will the Bath v Ulster game be on in the Beachcomer bar, Rathmullan?
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s fine in Bristol, Mike.

I’m tucking into the Monkey Mango cider.

We’re missing you.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s the best smelling pint I have ever had.

Touch of vanilla if I’m not mistaken.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

TOT just isn't good enough in the scrum. No excuse today with Hendy behind him.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?