Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by Neill_M »

SUFTUM_19 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:33 pm
So It Is wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:28 pm What we really need is a mid-20s Kiwi 10 that has been playing NPC/Super Rugby for 4+ years. Never going to trouble the NZ squad but is a good operator, that will seriously elevate standards. Like a young Jimmy G or Steinmetz (I know Steiner got 2mins off the bench, once, for NZ . . ). But of that ilk, a committed lad with ability. Get him in, build the team around him.

I haven't watched Soup Rugby in years. Is therr anyone like that floating about?
Fergus Burke would be ideal from the Crusaders. Possibly Irish qualified but unsure, also rumoured that Townsend is trying to get him to Glasgow so he must be Scottish qualified too. Not sure he’d leave though, with Mo’unga leaving for Japan, he seems to be in a strong position for the 10 jersey over there.
Haven't seen any confirmation that he is IQ'd, he is definitely SQ'd and as you say SRU are trying to get him. They have missed out on Finn Smith from Northampton, looks like he will be capped by England on the weekend.
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

I think the more worrying part of the report is that we are doing this as part of a cost cutting exercise. That means there will be no big money NIQ replacement. Or I think any replacement at all. If the Leinster players were moving they would go to Munster, just like carberry, though that was a lucky miss. It looks like we have been told no by Dublin, they are going to support the 3 southern teams first and we can make do and mend. There is definitely some dead wood, Addison has been woeful for example. Maybe a season with kids coming through wouldn't be the worst if we can get are heads around it. But management changes are nessecary
Dura lex sed lex
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Thelaw wrote:I think the more worrying part of the report is that we are doing this as part of a cost cutting exercise. That means there will be no big money NIQ replacement. Or I think any replacement at all. If the Leinster players were moving they would go to Munster, just like carberry, though that was a lucky miss. It looks like we have been told no by Dublin, they are going to support the 3 southern teams first and we can make do and mend. There is definitely some dead wood, Addison has been woeful for example. Maybe a season with kids coming through wouldn't be the worst if we can get are heads around it. But management changes are nessecary
No leinster 10 is going to go to munster. At present they have 4 players with international ambitions and one of them will have to go, not too mention tector also. Ross is the incumbent, prendergast is the up and coming so harry and frawley are the 2 most likely to need a move.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Maybe under “cost cutting” may force UR to make the decisions around players they could’ve made previously. Going forward there could be a painful few seasons, but a coach with experience of improving/bring through pups will be a must, as the squad profile changes.

The entire coaching set up will gradually drop off contract. Dan sounds like a man out of ideas, and beaten by a system that unless you have a production line of youth talent / high training standards you’re in big trouble.

I hope the remaining players / management realise this is the result of losing to connacht and pitchgate. May just sharpen the resolve going forward.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Thelaw wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:48 pm I think the more worrying part of the report is that we are doing this as part of a cost cutting exercise. That means there will be no big money NIQ replacement. Or I think any replacement at all. If the Leinster players were moving they would go to Munster, just like carberry, though that was a lucky miss. It looks like we have been told no by Dublin, they are going to support the 3 southern teams first and we can make do and mend. There is definitely some dead wood, Addison has been woeful for example. Maybe a season with kids coming through wouldn't be the worst if we can get are heads around it. But management changes are nessecary
Judging by the rumour that we are prepared to offload our starting 10 to save money, with no real sign of a replacement, there is absolutely no chance we are in a position to afford to release coaches from their contracts a year early, so whilst I do agree that management changes are necessary, I don’t think it’s possible and we’re just going to have to stick it out for the next season and a half. It makes the whole plastic pitch decision even more confusing if finances are as bad as they seem to be.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Dharper wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:28 pm Maybe under “cost cutting” may force UR to make the decisions around players they could’ve made previously. Going forward there could be a painful few seasons, but a coach with experience of improving/bring through pups will be a must, as the squad profile changes.

The entire coaching set up will gradually drop off contract. Dan sounds like a man out of ideas, and beaten by a system that unless you have a production line of youth talent / high training standards you’re in big trouble.

I hope the remaining players / management realise this is the result of losing to connacht and pitchgate. May just sharpen the resolve going forward.
'Going forward there could be a painful few seasons.'
Nothing to worry about, then. We're well used to painful seasons in these parts. 👍
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Hmmm, not really.

There’s frequently a painful play-off defeat but most Ulster fans only see about three losses a year.
ScottishBrian
Novice

Post by ScottishBrian »

I cannot believe that there will not be another player signed if BB moves to Munster, I wish him well, it would be extraordinary that he goes and there isn't a replacement.

If this does happen then it isn't just the coaches that have to go
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:49 pm Hmmm, not really.

There’s frequently a painful play-off defeat but most Ulster fans only see about three losses a year.
2007-2010, I think we were into the teens.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

SUFTUM_19 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:58 pm
Thelaw wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:48 pm I think the more worrying part of the report is that we are doing this as part of a cost cutting exercise. That means there will be no big money NIQ replacement. Or I think any replacement at all. If the Leinster players were moving they would go to Munster, just like carberry, though that was a lucky miss. It looks like we have been told no by Dublin, they are going to support the 3 southern teams first and we can make do and mend. There is definitely some dead wood, Addison has been woeful for example. Maybe a season with kids coming through wouldn't be the worst if we can get are heads around it. But management changes are nessecary
Judging by the rumour that we are prepared to offload our starting 10 to save money, with no real sign of a replacement, there is absolutely no chance we are in a position to afford to release coaches from their contracts a year early, so whilst I do agree that management changes are necessary, I don’t think it’s possible and we’re just going to have to stick it out for the next season and a half. It makes the whole plastic pitch decision even more confusing if finances are as bad as they seem to be.
If this is about money, then signing Kitschoff sure speaks of disfunction. Cunningham and Petrie should have an idea of what their budget will be year on year, pointless spending money on a big signing and then struggle to retain starters elsewhere a year later.
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

Perhaps the irfu could help out someone other than Munster for a change. No reason the under 20s six nations couldn't move north now for a couple of years, should help with the Bank Balance
Dura lex sed lex
NoPayneNoGain
Novice

Post by NoPayneNoGain »

Thelaw wrote:Perhaps the irfu could help out someone other than Munster for a change. No reason the under 20s six nations couldn't move north now for a couple of years, should help with the Bank Balance
Not sure this is helpful.

Norn Iron permanently cap in hand. Politicians with the begging bowl to Westminster and you would have us begging irfu for more dough too?

A bitta realism that our board &/or C suit put us in this position and we need to sort it out wouldn't go a miss. Time for some grown up decisions

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:42 pm
SUFTUM_19 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:58 pm
If this is about money, then signing Kitschoff sure speaks of disfunction. Cunningham and Petrie should have an idea of what their budget will be year on year, pointless spending money on a big signing and then struggle to retain starters elsewhere a year later.
They know what the budget is but I believe a big chunk of that 900k loss is purely down to the La Rochelle shitshow.

Ulster would have had to pay the costs of Lansdowne Road, pay to get La Rochelle there, and then also refund all the tickets that they had sold for it. Very expensive mistake.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Horse15
Novice

Post by Horse15 »

Thelaw wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:52 pm Perhaps the irfu could help out someone other than Munster for a change. No reason the under 20s six nations couldn't move north now for a couple of years, should help with the Bank Balance
I don’t think these games would be much of a money spinner - avg attendances in or around 4K.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Horse15 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:48 pm
Thelaw wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:52 pm Perhaps the irfu could help out someone other than Munster for a change. No reason the under 20s six nations couldn't move north now for a couple of years, should help with the Bank Balance
I don’t think these games would be much of a money spinner - avg attendances in or around 4K.
Musgrave Park was sold out for the two games v England and France last season, holds 8,008. The Scotland game in 2022 was also sold out and the Welsh game in 2022 got 7,289 at it.