Dan’s Not the Man.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ljsulster
Novice

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by ljsulster »

On the attack:
From my view the attacking structure and shape are there for a potentially good attack, though the skills and accuracy are atrocious which I would put on skills coach Newby.
As for Soper, anyone I have spoken to eg. Current players/ past players all say he’s a fantastic coach and it’s no surprise that when he was skills coach the players were much more accurate and much more skill was on show
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

So It Is wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:40 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:17 pm Another BTel article from Bradley- ref Ulster having no devine right- but highlights our approx 50/50 win ratio since Dec 2022. Ball seems to be gaining momentum. Hume asking for patience from fans...
Apparently there's a small but vociferous and disaffected core :duh:
Patience from fans :lol: Hume should read the room before he speaks to the media.

We have been playing shocking rugby for a good while now, with the occasional big win when we seem to forget ourselves and go off script, until the follow week when we seemingly revert back to form. We haven't looked like winning anything in about a decade, apart from the 2022 Semi Final near-miss. We have 2 or 3 lads pushing to be a part of the international 23. Our acadmey production in the backs seems to have stalled, while there are finally some prospects coming through in the pack, they either get injured at the wrong time (McCann) or not selected for a few months (Sheridan and Wilson). Some of our top players are playing like drains. Our selection policy is baffling.

Patience from the fans is derived from giving us something to be hopeful about in the not too distant future. I'm not seeing it until a decent head coach and coaching staff is signed up for next season.

The time to ask for patience was after the Connacht defeat in the QF's last season whilst they acknowledged the shortcomings and pledged to develop a new style to counter this.

Let's be clear. The writing was on the wall that day. Comprehensively beaten at home by one of the weakest teams in the QF's and completely dominated on the day. Indeed bar some bad Connacht handling errors it could have been worse.

Dan & Co should have seen the writing on the wall but instead we got some bad luck story and reference to finishing 2nd in the log.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Whether it's Soper's fault or not the attack has failed miserably, therefore giving him the head coach role when his area of primary responsibility has been abysmal makes no sense at all. Sure as an interim if required but only if there is a genuine search and ability to recruit someone decent outside of Malone/Lisburn
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Ulster need a seasoned head coach. The last 3 Head coaches have been inexperienced in their role. Kiss, Gibbs and McFarland have never been head coach until they took over here.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I wouldn't totally trash Dan's legacy. The first 3 seasons were pretty good, all things considered. Problem was not only an inability to kick on but serious regression.
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Big-al wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:06 pm Ulster need a seasoned head coach. The last 3 Head coaches have been inexperienced in their role. Kiss, Gibbs and McFarland have never been head coach until they took over here.
No, they need a coach who the players will buy in to and improve the players. I couldn’t give a rats ass if that means he has experience or not. If he has a good pedigree, that’s good enough for me.

ROG hadn’t been a head coach when he got the LAR job, likewise Farrell for Ireland. That’s just thinking about Irish coaches but there’s loads of instances of this happening.

I’ll say again but Noel McNamara is the obviously candidate for me in some capacity.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Bart S wrote:I wouldn't totally trash Dan's legacy. The first 3 seasons were pretty good, all things considered. Problem was not only an inability to kick on but serious regression.
I agree, in fact I think the first 3 years were excellent..
..one more thing
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Big-al wrote:Ulster need a seasoned head coach. The last 3 Head coaches have been inexperienced in their role. Kiss, Gibbs and McFarland have never been head coach until they took over here.
I was thinking this myself - Ulster have a good squad of players, I think we need an experienced head coming in with a track record of getting a squad to gel. Now isn’t the time to roll the dice with a newbie - and it’s certainly not the time to build a roster of old-boy plods Image

There is a rumour doing the rounds tonight that Dan is leaving… I guess we’ll see but who would the runners and riders be?

Noel McNamara was mentioned - would he be remotely interested in returning from Bordeaux, where he’s working with a worldy squad, presumably well-paid and with a great lifestyle??

Mark McCall? He’d be a good man to build a coaching ticket..

Presumably the attraction for an Irish coach of that calibre would be to get a footing back in the Irish system with a view to staking a claim for the Ireland gig post-Farrell..
..one more thing
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Columbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:00 am
Bart S wrote:I wouldn't totally trash Dan's legacy. The first 3 seasons were pretty good, all things considered. Problem was not only an inability to kick on but serious regression.
I agree, in fact I think the first 3 years were excellent..
They were excellent.... he did start from a pretty low bar though, would have been hard not to hit an upward trajectory.

In the pro era only Anscombe and Solomons have better win percentages. I fear between now and end of season there will be more.

My hope is Humph in his new role will be looking at Ireland head coach succession planning. Farrell is fantastic but nothing lasts forever. IRFU have a track record of promoting from within.... its the hope that kills.

Failing that Richie Murphy Ireland U20 head coach would be my pick. His record is exceptional and he knows how to develop young players, something we've never had.

If Dan were to go now Murphy could get a free run from now to end of season, once U20 6N is out of the way.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Irish Indo says he's gone.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

:thumleft:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The performances at Quins and Ospreys were so atrocious they did indicate that the players had downed tools, as well as the ball.

Lee Blackett managed to get Scarlets winning last year and is doing wonders at Bath.

Not a natural front man but he’d add value.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Can anyone post the Irish independents article in full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
ljsulster
Novice

Post by ljsulster »

kingofthehill wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 am Can anyone post the Irish independents article in full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s not a very long article. Mentions that finances were a key behind a decision on his future and that there’s no plans to replace Billy Burns
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

The right conclusion it seems.

Dan did a super job when he came in, it must be remembered. We looked like we were building a formidible side. I remember some lovely continuity play in the forwards in the early days, quick pop passes to runners and offloads. And he had our backline on fire with some serious young talent.

But things went stale, big time, from that half time team talk in Dublin in November 2022. I feel he should have walked after the Connacht defeat but I guess he has a family to look after so fair enough. So the management should have taken that decision out of his hands.

All the best Dan.