Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

👍🤞then on the injury front
Exterminate all rational thought
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

kingofthehill wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:53 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote:
nonplussed wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:08 pm
So It Is wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:57 pm
Dave wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:38 pm If Stu, Addison and Marshall go, centres would be Postlethwaite, Moore, Hume, Moxham.... Who else?

Stockdale to 13???
Moxham doesn't look to have the ability at wing imo, so putting him anywhere near a more technical position like centre would be a disaster.

The runny stuff will hit the fan if Stu leaves, a total disaster, but can't say he owes Ulster anything, so good on him and all the very best if he goes.

Looks like Tom Stewart will be our top try scorer again for the next few seasons :lol:
Moxham is a centre who has been forced to play wing. A big quick lump with good hands, and defence.... but sure he must be shoite cos hes been played out of position in fits and starts. a very good squad player.
TBF I've never seen it. Just like the new Messiah Postletwhaite..
Postlewaite is class.

Moxham should never of had an academy contract never mind a full contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Postlewaithe has ability, but does he have enough pace? He has looked a bit slow at times.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

If balancing the books is the key driver then the focus must be on a leaner but capable squad. If that means cutting 3 squad fillers to keep the likes of McCloskey then so be it. Using the academy more in 1st team training can only benefit them in terms of learning drills, moves etc which will make them more comfortable when they get a chance. Cutting a few high earners but losing the ability to be competitive will only add to the long term financial problems as casual fans drift off.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes and this is why you need the likes of a big name NIQ (more than ever) too.

The BT has said that more drastic cuts were discussed but were trumped by fears of a ‘doom loop’.

JP’s comments yesterday suggested there is probably more to the Big Stu rumour than anticipated though.

If he’s off along with Ewers then it looks like we’re trying to bring in a couple of transfer fees (such as they are in rugby) for two of our oldest players whilst we can.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:25 am Yes and this is why you need the likes of a big name NIQ (more than ever) too.

The BT has said that more drastic cuts were discussed but were trumped by fears of a ‘doom loop’.

JP’s comments yesterday suggested there is probably more to the Big Stu rumour than anticipated though.

If he’s off along with Ewers then it looks like we’re trying to bring in a couple of transfer fees (such as they are in rugby) for two of our oldest players whilst we can.
How long a deal did Ewers actually sign? It was never publicly disclosed. He may be out of contract in the Summer. If he does go, well he hasn't reached my expectations of him being a NIQ and probably on a decent wage.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I thought he was 2 years? Personally id like to know why he hasn't been selected? I know he had concussion but since?
He's a big unit and highly experienced, I think he has more to give
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Maybe I’ve only seen Exeter fans assuming he must have been offered more than the usual one year deal they normally give to older players.

He’s not had a run of games for us for whatever reason and, whilst I’m reluctant to refer to his unseen work (!) we’ve won six of the nine games he’s featured in.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

We may have won 6 from 9 of the games he’s played, but I’m not sure I can think of any which were much down to him. Even the game (can’t remember which) where he was MOTM I remember being a bit underwhelmed. I’m maybe guilty of rushing to a judgment, time will tell, but I think he’s been a big disappointment, looks well past his best, and wouldn’t be a big loss
..one more thing
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:44 am Maybe I’ve only seen Exeter fans assuming he must have been offered more than the usual one year deal they normally give to older players.

He’s not had a run of games for us for whatever reason and, whilst I’m reluctant to refer to his unseen work (!) we’ve won six of the nine games he’s featured in.
By and large he's been pretty good when he's played for us, adds significant heft to the Blindside and doesn't tend to take a backwards step.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/t ... st-1177786

Don't be surprised to see likes of Henderson depart and other big names. I'd also expect to see a few Leinster guys go up and basically start again with mentality of a few years pain to develop a new culture etc.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
I'll defer to you King on Postletwhaite.. however I've yet to see one of epiphany moments from him like we have with Moore, Lowry, PJ, SO etc when even as a cub we saw the latent talent surface. Maybe he needs a run at it. Is he inside centre primarily, or can he play 13 as well?
He did have some extremely promising signs in his first few games. Some big carries, few offloads from memory. Thought he looked very like a younger version of Stu. Maybe a bit faster too. I think he could be the real deal but agree he hasn't nearly lived up to his hype.

Moxham has been poor or terrible every single time he has stolen an ulster cap. Really can't see him ever being the player some people say he has the potential to be.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bayern wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:52 pm https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/t ... st-1177786

Don't be surprised to see likes of Henderson depart and other big names. I'd also expect to see a few Leinster guys go up and basically start again with mentality of a few years pain to develop a new culture etc.
I’m sure Munstermuffin has the inside knowledge of Ulster rugby alright.

Don’t think Henderson will be going anywhere. Sorry to be a disappointment.

Don’t want the squad filled with Leinster journeymen, we tried that and it has ultimately failed. A leinster produced players struggle when to leave and don’t have strict structures to abide by.

Madigan & Carbery done the square root of feck all after they left.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Bayern wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:52 pm https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/t ... st-1177786

There are different rumours every day, Ulster's financial situation means every two bit online "expert" is having their say.
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

Have any Leinster cast offs ever reached their potential?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

TheBoat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:28 pm Have any Leinster cast offs ever reached their potential?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Tadgh Beirne certainly has.
An argument could be made for Andrew Conway as well.

The common denominator however is that they didn't go near Ulster's development pathway.

Timoney has been comfortably our best. Not top level quality but good enough.