Ulster's finances

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster's finances

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Foods ok in it but I prefer Robbie's apart from Fibbers in the back. Cheaper than Crown which has become tourist trap for Cruise line trippers who only drink Half's of Guinness for their Tiktok photo. Food upstairs in the "Brittanic" is good though if you can get a table...
Exterminate all rational thought
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Did Hugo used to be the Skandia?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bewlay Bros
Novice

Post by Bewlay Bros »

Not sure the annual hate fest would be welcome at Casement Park (I assume you’re talking about the 12th)
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Brought up on the Shankill and gotta say feel would feel way safer going into a shop on the A-town in an Ulster top (as I have done on many occasions) than a shop on the Shankill in an Antrim Jersey (which I would never do in asane state). Obviously there are idiots on both sides.

I've had my tyres slashed at Ravenhill. Granted most of the folk at a GAA match are of the same ilk but the only sectarian abuse in my direction I've ever experienced has been in Lansdowne, Thomond and the Sportsground. I did once get some at Murray field too at an Ireland match which I found hilarious given that I'm from the Shankill.

Have been to many GAA matches and the atmosphere is great. Very family orientated with a bit of effin and jeffin. I respectfully stand for the anthem as I do at Lansdowne. If we don't start doing stuff like this in our wee s#@thole of a place when will it ever get any better.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

Deraless wrote:Brought up on the Shankill and gotta say feel would feel way safer going into a shop on the A-town in an Ulster top (as I have done on many occasions) than a shop on the Shankill in an Antrim Jersey (which I would never do in asane state). Obviously there are idiots on both sides.

I've had my tyres slashed at Ravenhill. Granted most of the folk at a GAA match are of the same ilk but the only sectarian abuse in my direction I've ever experienced has been in Lansdowne, Thomond and the Sportsground. I did once get some at Murray field too at an Ireland match which I found hilarious given that I'm from the Shankill.

Have been to many GAA matches and the atmosphere is great. Very family orientated with a bit of effin and jeffin. I respectfully stand for the anthem as I do at Lansdowne. If we don't start doing stuff like this in our wee s#@thole of a place when will it ever get any better.
Aye but did someone make you feel uneasy 30yrs ago?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Deraless - valid point. Personally, I wouldn’t be comfortable about parking in either Anderstown or the Shankill for a nighttime or evening match.

but a major difference between rugby and GAA and their respective jerseys, is that Ulster rugby don’t have any tournaments or grounds named after Paramilitaries. The GAA have many, & they are open about it. That doesn’t help their image when appealing to loyalist communities like the Shankill.

I don’t wear any sports jerseys when in Belfast (unless at a sporting event), see little point.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bewlay Bros wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:40 am Not sure the annual hate fest would be welcome at Casement Park (I assume you’re talking about the 12th)
No the other one, with it's own house band / cheerleaders- 'Tones, probably now to be replaced by Kneecap, who I see want to "take the soup" despite their deeply held political beliefs...

Although the St Paddy's day annual Culchie version is picking up the mantle also.. Oooh Aah etc.. lovely hypocrisy, and so much for vaunted Republican inclusivity in a New Ireland.

Let's not kid ourselves the GAA isn't the Republican version of the OO, with only what 1% of Protestants versus 0% Catholics in the OO. Hardly statistically significant..
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:47 pm Deraless - valid point. Personally, I wouldn’t be comfortable about parking in either Anderstown or the Shankill for a nighttime or evening match.

but a major difference between rugby and GAA and their respective jerseys, is that Ulster rugby don’t have any tournaments or grounds named after Paramilitaries. The GAA have many, & they are open about it. That doesn’t help their image when appealing to loyalist communities like the Shankill.

I don’t wear any sports jerseys when in Belfast (unless at a sporting event), see little point.
100% Al. My partner is from Dungiven and there's a huge Hunger strikers mural facing her COI, Plus the local GAA club is named after said murderer of many in that community. So GAA is as pluralist as the OO.

People fall over themselves to absolve the GAA for the same stuff they accuse the OO and AB of.

I have no time for the extremists of either organisation, but one shouldn't get a by ball. GAA constantly tries to claim pluralism but fails to back it up.

The stuff about an UR jersey in Andytown is a red herring. It's a recognised all Ireland sport. Try it with a Linfield or Gers jersey and I would suggest the outcome would be less "tolerant."

And for balance I had mates from East Belfast who were given a kicking on the Shankill because they were from the East.. And I took a friend from Glasgow to show him the GRSC club on the Shankill only for us to be told in no uncertain terms to FO as we "weren't" known. He is a lifelong Gers fan.

Moronic sectarianism is not the preserve of one community- both have undertaken and covered up deep seated sectarian barbarity. Either on the Shankill or on Andytown, both infamously
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

That Casement was an interesting character.

For a fella evidently keen on a sausage, I suppose it was inevitable that having turned his back on the British banger it was cosying up to the Kaiser that would turn out to be the wurst of his crimes….
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

GAA/rugby tops over hoodies is the real crime?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

There is bitterness in all strands of the community. No one has a monopoly on it. Thankfully most of the rugby forums are free from it. That is with the exception of planet rugby forum which seems to have an underlying thread of pure sectarianism against all things Ulster. The forum is not helped mind you by a few Ulster posters who are defending their position.
A poster last week even said it would be hilarious if FIRFU disbanded Ulster.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Is Willie Falloon (poster, not ex player . . . allegedly) still on there, arguing tooth and nail for an Irish side filled with Ulsterman?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:27 pm There is bitterness in all strands of the community. No one has a monopoly on it. Thankfully most of the rugby forums are free from it. That is with the exception of planet rugby forum which seems to have an underlying thread of pure sectarianism against all things Ulster. The forum is not helped mind you by a few Ulster posters who are defending their position.
A poster last week even said it would be hilarious if FIRFU disbanded Ulster.
It depends on what position they're defending JS?

Never really bother with PR as it's the equivalent of rugby pablum for the masses similar to Tiktok for narcissists
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So It Is wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:26 pm Is Willie Falloon (poster, not ex player . . . allegedly) still on there, arguing tooth and nail for an Irish side filled with Ulsterman?
:lol: :duh: not even the most Loyal Ulster person could argue with the current farrago of URs own making with regards Ireland representation. McCloskey can feel slightly agrieved given he was playing well, but his lack of flexibility done for him. Hendo has been overtaken by the next generation of young tyros.

Maybe no bad thing- allows the cubs to grow out of the spotlight and some ex Ireland squad players try to regain some semblance of form if they can under Murphy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:48 pm That Casement was an interesting character.

For a fella evidently keen on a sausage, I suppose it was inevitable that having turned his back on the British banger it was cosying up to the Kaiser that would turn out to be the wurst of his crimes….
Ballymena Academy man. Incredibly interesting life story well worthy of a movie. He wanted to be interred in Ballycastle but ended up in Glasnevin cemetery. That place is well worth a visit for anybody with any interest in Irish history.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall