Sharks v Ulster Saturday 23rd March 1pm Kick Off Viaplay Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Sharks v Ulster Saturday 23rd March 1pm Kick Off Viaplay Sports

Post by Setanta »

Hhere we go again! We were brill and I now have great hopes for the rest of the season. The RSA commentators could teach Gusher and McWhirter a thing or two. The referee was Whitehouse junior who would not give stit to an away team and will never match his dad. God help Ireland on their RSA tour. The phoenix rises.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:18 pm
HammerTime wrote:
Dave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:11 pm
HammerTime wrote:Bring back DMF. :duck: No seriously that was pure and utter sh!te. Wouldn’t worry about any more house hunting in Belfast Richie.
After one game?
Slightly tongue in cheek of course.
Soper has a 100% record.
So has Richie
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:03 pm
John_e_boy wrote:Let's write off this season and rebuild from this deep point.
'Off this season and rebuild from this deep point.'
>appl
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Setanta wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:55 pm Hhere we go again! We were brill and I now have great hopes for the rest of the season. The RSA commentators could teach Gusher and McWhirter a thing or two. The referee was Whitehouse junior who would not give stit to an away team and will never match his dad. God help Ireland on their RSA tour. The phoenix rises.
He's already surpassed his dad - but that's no compliment. A donkey ambling around a pitch with a whistle stuck in its neb and breathing hard would get more decisions right than Whitehouse Senior. And a donkey wouldn't be up to making up its own rules.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:05 pm Well done Scott Wilson >appl
So much for our international TH
Amazing by Wilson. We’ve saw Ox mince tightheads at international level and had TOT nearly bent in two. Wilson was rock solid - some effort by that young man!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Someone calling himself Tony Moloney on the 42.ie coments section seems to have a beef with Murphy regarding his (poor) man management of fringe players.

Shouldn’t be a problem for Ulster because the squad will be that small next season we won’t have any.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Having lost to the bottom side on the log today and, more than likely, getting pumped next week where do we go from here?

I won’t pretend that reading numerous books on Irish rugby makes me an expert but, equally, I’m not sure that Ireland produces too many decent head coaches and is a fifty odd year old Murphy likely to buck the trend?
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

There's a fair chance we'll be 9th or 10th in the league by the end of next week.

I cant remember who on here recently was trying to make the point that our squad quality is good and our demise was due to poor coaching. In my head, yesterday proves that our pack isn't particularly good and got pumped yesterday, nor are our halfbacks, our centres should spend more time focusing on their game instead of mouthing off at the ref/opposition, and our back 3 offers little threat.

Murphy needs a bit of time to sort this mess out. Bryn needs sent to the glue factory for our squad being as poor as it is.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Relax guys we have signed a mediocre winger for next year. That's bound to solve our problems at 3,4,6,9 and 10.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Wilson will solve the problem at 3, Sheridan at 4 or 6.

I think this is turning out to be a development season for Ulster. A lot of young guys gaining a lot of exposure to regular professional rugby.

Only one way we can go from here.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:47 am Wilson will solve the problem at 3, Sheridan at 4 or 6.

I think this is turning out to be a development season for Ulster. A lot of young guys gaining a lot of exposure to regular professional rugby.

Problem is Al we have no depth. At LH, Mad Boy is only here 1-2 years, AW is a nuggety old school prop but in his thirties. Reid is not up to this level, and Boyd - no idea as he was out of position in the 20s. Stewart is being exposed as bang average scrum wise and issues with his throwing- imo he needs intense gym work and mentoring to exploit his undoubted talent. Herring is 32-33, and Andrew break glass. We seemingly have 2 decent hookers coming through but we need to blood them.

We have TOT who can't cope at TH at the highest level although he has time on his side. Wilson however looks a player at 21. He emptied players yesterday and held his own against NCHE in a 7 man scrum.I would love to see him get proper conditioning instead of Ulsters version 💩
We have nothing at lock unless Hopes / Irvine can bulk up quickly. See above re Wilson. Sheridan is a hybrid imo, but a 6 primarily. Treadwell continues to flatter, when we need gnarly- look at Sharks young locks- plug and play physically. Hendo- sunset.
Back row we have a lot of young talent but are 1-2 years away- Sheridan can't cover everyone, but we have some depth coming through in a year or two; Rea, Reffell, McNabney, Ward etc. Ewers sadly seems gone. Add McCann and Timotei.But we lack heavy carriers that the likes of the Saffers and Ladybois or the big European teams possess- we can be out muscled easily. Lucky the Sharks are poorly coached with a shyte attitude or we would've been really spanked. Dobbies Stormers will be a massive test, and we face being nilled on this trip.

At 9, Doak is not the messiah- Cooney in his sunset. I can't help thinking Shanners would've moved things up yesterday. We have no other depth here and 10 is worse. Good riddance to Burns but unless we're buying, then we're f#cked here.

We have Marshall, Mac, Hume, Postletwhaite, Moore to cover centre, but Luke ( criminally underused) on his way, and Stu no doubt unsettled, again we're in diffs with no other Academy or otherwise talent on the immediate horizon. Moores future is 15 imo. Addison looks to be finding some form although he was really exposed pace wise for Buthelezi's coast to coast try, and rumoured to be off. Lowry doesn't have it for a front line 15 at this level, McIlroy lacks pace and is a poor decision maker. RB and JS are pale shadows of 2 years ago but redeemable with the correct coaching and conditioning imo. But I'm sensing little Academy talent coming through in the backs over next 2-3 years, which is unusual for us.

Basically, Murphy has a massive challenge in a squad that needs significant Academy fast tracking and sensible NIQ investment with no money. We are facing 2 years of mid to lower table mediocrity at least, in a fight with the Welsh and the dregs imo

Murphy won't turn this around this season, but needs given a go with significant FIRFU support if they are serious about having 4 competitive provinces feeding the Irish team, although traditionally the omens aren't good in Ulster terms for it.

No doubt I'll be called a catastrophist, but that's how I see it sadly. Wish I was wrong.
Exterminate all rational thought
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:14 am I’m not sure that Ireland produces too many decent head coaches
True enough, although McCall and O'Gara, and Cullen are doing the business at the minute. Any interested in coming to Ulster? Not a chance.

Eddie O'Sullivan, Declan Kidney? Nah, not really.

Michael Bradley? Would take a genius to do something with Zebre, so might be worth a look.

DHumph? Not on the cards at all and not really a coach.

Willie Anderson? Too old and, if he hasn't made the grade by now, he's not going to.

Simon Easterby? Step up to head coach with Ulter to gain experience for more later?

Any other options?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

The coming fixtures now have serious heft-

Can't see us winning:
Stormers, Leinster

Fighting chance of some points:
Munster away- who knows which Munster turn up but they are on a roll, albeit against mediocre opposition

Must wins:
Cardiff (H)
Benetton (H)
Scaaalets (A)

With Connacht and Benetton struggling, the above three are critical for any sort of Season to build on.
All are tricky given our current parlous state.
Montpellier is a distraction now imo
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

solidarity wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:15 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:14 am I’m not sure that Ireland produces too many decent head coaches
True enough, although McCall and O'Gara, and Cullen are doing the business at the minute. Any interested in coming to Ulster? Not a chance.

Eddie O'Sullivan, Declan Kidney? Nah, not really.

Michael Bradley? Would take a genius to do something with Zebre, so might be worth a look.

DHumph? Not on the cards at all and not really a coach.

Willie Anderson? Too old and, if he hasn't made the grade by now, he's not going to.

Simon Easterby? Step up to head coach with Ulter to gain experience for more later?

Any other options?
I think we have our coach for the next couple of years.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Big-al wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:47 am Wilson will solve the problem at 3, Sheridan at 4 or 6.

Problem is Al we have no depth. At LH, Mad Boy is only here 1-2 years, AW is a nuggety old school prop but in his thirties. Reid is not up to this level, and Boyd - no idea as he was out of position in the 20s. Stewart is being exposed as bang average scrum wise and issues with his throwing- imo he needs intense gym work and mentoring to exploit his undoubted talent. Herring is 32-33, and Andrew break glass. We seemingly have 2 decent hookers coming through but we need to blood them.

We have TOT who can't cope at TH at the highest level although he has time on his side. Wilson however looks a player at 21. He emptied players yesterday and held his own against NCHE in a 7 man scrum.I would love to see him get proper conditioning instead of Ulsters version Image
We have nothing at lock unless Hopes / Irvine can bulk up quickly. See above re Wilson. Sheridan is a hybrid imo, but a 6 primarily. Treadwell continues to flatter, when we need gnarly- look at Sharks young locks- plug and play physically. Hendo- sunset.
Back row we have a lot of young talent but are 1-2 years away- Sheridan can't cover everyone, but we have some depth coming through in a year or two; Rea, Reffell, McNabney, Ward etc. Ewers sadly seems gone. Add McCann and Timotei.But we lack heavy carriers that the likes of the Saffers and Ladybois or the big European teams possess- we can be out muscled easily. Lucky the Sharks are poorly coached with a shyte attitude or we would've been really spanked. Dobbies Stormers will be a massive test, and we face being nilled on this trip.

At 9, Doak is not the messiah- Cooney in his sunset. I can't help thinking Shanners would've moved things up yesterday. We have no other depth here and 10 is worse. Good riddance to Burns but unless we're buying, then we're f#cked here.

We have Marshall, Mac, Hume, Postletwhaite, Moore to cover centre, but Luke ( criminally underused) on his way, and Stu no doubt unsettled, again we're in diffs with no other Academy or otherwise talent on the immediate horizon. Moores future is 15 imo. Addison looks to be finding some form although he was really exposed pace wise for Buthelezi's coast to coast try, and rumoured to be off. Lowry doesn't have it for a front line 15 at this level, McIlroy lacks pace and is a poor decision maker. RB and JS are pale shadows of 2 years ago but redeemable with the correct coaching and conditioning imo. But I'm sensing little Academy talent coming through in the backs over next 2-3 years, which is unusual for us.

Basically, Murphy has a massive challenge in a squad that needs significant Academy fast tracking and sensible NIQ investment with no money. We are facing 2 years of mid to lower table mediocrity at least, in a fight with the Welsh and the dregs imo

Murphy won't turn this around this season, but needs given a go with significant FIRFU support if they are serious about having 4 competitive provinces feeding the Irish team, although traditionally the omens aren't good in Ulster terms for it.

No doubt I'll be called a catastrophist, but that's how I see it sadly. Wish I was wrong.
That's grim reading. However, it's difficult to argue with any of it. Our only hope is to be highly competent with the basics of the game and see what happens. When that slipped under Dan we massively under performed. As poor as the squad is, I think we can play much better albeit without a realistic notion of winning a cup. When the basics are consistently achieved with competence, results can accumulate. A functional lineout is a must and achievable. A sound defence can achieve much, but poor individual tackling has cost us badly. Catching and passing, it's so basic it's not even funny. Some glimpses of it yesterday. Still these loopy forward passes persist. The Irish game has been built around quick snappy passing, with excellent support lines. This can develop from having players that know each other well in terms of positioning and what play is being implemented, you don't need galacticos.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?