Ulster's finances

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster's finances

Post by Deraless »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:27 pm The stuff about an UR jersey in Andytown is a red herring. It's a recognised all Ireland sport. Try it with a Linfield or Gers jersey and I would suggest the outcome would be less "tolerant."
I was assuming the debate was about holding an Ulster rugby match at Casement, not sure where Linfield or Rangers came into it.

No-one is suggesting there isn't sectarianism in many members of the GAA, the point was about the safety or otherwise of the A-town road. At the end of the day we are all a product of the postcodes we were brought up in and dig deep enough everyone here will revert to bigotry, but we need to build a f**king bridge and get over it. If we keep going with the "what about themuns" stuff, things will never change.

I.know there were people who didn't go to Breffni, not because it was too far for a friendly, but because it was a GAA pitch. It was a great day out. I know it wasn't the A-town but it's a start

And before anyone goes that's probably easy for you to say, I grew up on the Shankill in the 70s so I'm not some clueless hippy tree hugger lol
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:27 pm The stuff about an UR jersey in Andytown is a red herring. It's a recognised all Ireland sport. Try it with a Linfield or Gers jersey and I would suggest the outcome would be less "tolerant."
I was assuming the debate was about holding an Ulster rugby match at Casement, not sure where Linfield or Rangers came into it.

No-one is suggesting there isn't sectarianism in many members of the GAA, the point was about the safety or otherwise of the A-town road. At the end of the day we are all a product of the postcodes we were brought up in and dig deep enough everyone here will revert to bigotry, but we need to build a f**king bridge and get over it. If we keep going with the "what about themuns" stuff, things will never change.

I.know there were people who didn't go to Breffni, not because it was too far for a friendly, but because it was a GAA pitch. It was a great day out. I know it wasn't the A-town but it's a start

And before anyone goes that's probably easy for you to say, I grew up on the Shankill in the 70s so I'm not some clueless hippy tree hugger lol
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:59 pm GAA/rugby tops over hoodies is the real crime?
Shocking.. taps aff
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Deraless wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 pm

Bit selective there Dera, given the complexity and numerous facets of this thread. Quoting one section of my post in isolation given its context within the rest of the post/thread is a trifle disingenious?

The point around Casement was that it's being fast track funded for primarily the next Euros ie Association football , and given it's to enable NI to play in a stadium big enough within their own country should they qualify, the Association football jersey angle was valid imo within the NI supporter context. Maybe I should've put NI jersey in on reflection but the analogy stands.

It's not about "themmuns" narrative, more the ballix given to justify the scandalous investment, and the fact that Andytown is not a general safe space for those they're trying to justify it to. Like playing a GAA game at Windsor and the Village lol. ( Although with the new Boucher entrance, this might be less of a difficulty than the converse given the tight geography around Casement.)
As a matter of record, I was 100% in agreement with taking UR to Breffni- bore yourself by reviewing my posts at the time. Long may it continue, Cavan is Southern Ulster and a totally different kettle of fish to Casement and it's squalid history.

I was also born and bred in NB in the 70s so as a Gen X, hugging trees is for Boomers and Millenials, only :salut: :flower:
Exterminate all rational thought
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

I'm from a mixed background, born in the late 80s into a prod town. I have no real dog in the constitutional fight.

But I do believe that rugby being viewed as a prod sport, and the GAA being Catlick, the only way for these stereotypes to change is both sports being exposed to each other. Rugby types may need to hold their noses walking into Seamy O'IRA-Terrorist's Park in some Republican strong-hold area, but the more often that happens then slowly the barriers start coming down, and with time the blatant secterianism will (hopefully) start disappearing.

Youth football is doing great stuff in this regard. My girls play in the Fonacab league on Saturday mornings, which usually involves playing matches at Solitude, Falls Park, or a ground in the middle of Ballymurphy estate. The likes of Linfield, Glentoran, Larne and Carrick Rangers all play in the league. I have no issue with it, I think its great.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Maybe I have said elsewhere and noting to do with Ulster Finances directly but..

Casement Park doesn’t meet with UEFA standards for a competition said so for months now a few weeks ago the BBC picked it up and covered.. so the design will have to change just for UEFA and nobody else also over £100m of the supposed £300m cost is purely to make the stadium compliant with UEFA standards..

Maybe money could be better spent and still allow something for the other sports…

I make that with current inflation compared to back when we got new stadium is that £30M is now worth £41M add to that the £15M from GAA and £50M from the Irish Government makes for £106M and a nice stadium could be built that is fit for purpose..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cockatrice wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:18 pm Maybe I have said elsewhere and noting to do with Ulster Finances directly but..

Casement Park doesn’t meet with UEFA standards for a competition said so for months now a few weeks ago the BBC picked it up and covered.. so the design will have to change just for UEFA and nobody else also over £100m of the supposed £300m cost is purely to make the stadium compliant with UEFA standards..

Maybe money could be better spent and still allow something for the other sports…

I make that with current inflation compared to back when we got new stadium is that £30M is now worth £41M add to that the £15M from GAA and £50M from the Irish Government makes for £106M and a nice stadium could be built that is fit for purpose..
How do they/you get to a figure of 100m to comply with UEFA standards?

They’re obliged to cover up about 8,000 standing places with seats but I’m unsure what else?

Or were they not previously planning to have hot running water or electronic turnstiles or something?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:31 pm
Cockatrice wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:18 pm Maybe I have said elsewhere and noting to do with Ulster Finances directly but..

How do they/you get to a figure of 100m to comply with UEFA standards?

They’re obliged to cover up about 8,000 standing places with seats but I’m unsure what else?

Or were they not previously planning to have hot running water or electronic turnstiles or something?
A lot of small things add up and having read UEFA criteria it is what it is … for example the floodlights have to be to UEFA standard whilst GAA probably have no need.. then there things like % of stadia set aside for media and that doesn’t mean just an ordinary set it has to have all the stuff to facilitate x amount of TV and radio plus all the camera points etc.. there has to be on site parking for so many vehicles .. even media and TV studios etc etc.

In truth I don’t think the current plan meets with other criteria I read but was always aware of the temporary seating not being allowed .. 100M sounds a lot but if we a figure out forward after the recent UEFA inspection
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Meanwhile Lansdowne is too small for Leinster who will play "big matches" at Croke Park. Yet again making a mockery of IRFU decision to build a new 50k stadium. Incompetence and corruption doesn't just happen up here.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Deraless wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:16 pm Meanwhile Lansdowne is too small for Leinster who will play "big matches" at Croke Park. Yet again making a mockery of IRFU decision to build a new 50k stadium. Incompetence and corruption doesn't just happen up here.
????? Leinster are only playing games at Croke Park when the Aviva is unavailable
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Deraless wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:16 am Brought up on the Shankill and gotta say feel would feel way safer going into a shop on the A-town in an Ulster top (as I have done on many occasions) than a shop on the Shankill in an Antrim Jersey (which I would never do in asane state). Obviously there are idiots on both sides.

I've had my tyres slashed at Ravenhill. Granted most of the folk at a GAA match are of the same ilk but the only sectarian abuse in my direction I've ever experienced has been in Lansdowne, Thomond and the Sportsground. I did once get some at Murray field too at an Ireland match which I found hilarious given that I'm from the Shankill.

Have been to many GAA matches and the atmosphere is great. Very family orientated with a bit of effin and jeffin. I respectfully stand for the anthem as I do at Lansdowne. If we don't start doing stuff like this in our wee s#@thole of a place when will it ever get any better.
The only logic reason for slashing tyres would be if you parked badly in Cregagh…

GAA matches in recent years have become a bit of a free for all even to a degree including supporters
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Cockatrice wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:12 am GAA matches in recent years have become a bit of a free for all even to a degree including supporters
In what way?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

damianmcr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:22 pm
Cockatrice wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:12 am GAA matches in recent years have become a bit of a free for all even to a degree including supporters
In what way?
https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/10/ ... c-1453276/

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/se ... 381443.amp
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

There was a referee stabbed by a supporter at a GAA match in County Tyrone last Autumn!!!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Big-al wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:06 am There was a referee stabbed by a supporter at a GAA match in County Tyrone last Autumn!!!
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/gaa ... g-24913020