What are you watching?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: What are you watching?

Post by justinr73 »

You didn’t catch Cailini at the Lyric Merv?

Had an hour or two to kill before watching Romesh at the GOH.

As a good 60% or so of the audience rose to their feet, I had a bit of a moment with the lady who remained seated next to me. Something about us getting more discerning as we got older….

I do find that Belfast audiences have a tendency to give the ultimate accolade of a standing ovation if the cast simply remember all of their lines.

On this particular occasion, I would have been more effusive if they’d forgotten the bulk of them.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:36 am You didn’t catch Cailini at the Lyric Merv?

Had an hour or two to kill before watching Romesh at the GOH.

As a good 60% or so of the audience rose to their feet, I had a bit of a moment with the lady who remained seated next to me. Something about us getting more discerning as we got older….

I do find that Belfast audiences have a tendency to give the ultimate accolade of a standing ovation if the cast simply remember all of their lines.

On this particular occasion, I would have been more effusive if they’d forgotten the bulk of them.
Yes . this is irks me a little too and I do on occasion remain seated in contravention of the prevailing enthusiasm. Imo you really have to earn that accolade. Not unlike the Ulster team in some respects.

My theory is that NI was such a cultural wasteland for so long during the Troubles that people here still tend to be overly appreciative of anything that attains mediocrity.

Haven't actually been to much other than music recently. Must have a look at the programmes over the summer as Mrs BM is having an eye op soon and can't fly for 3 months.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Didn't know the wife was a pilot Merv. Hope all goes well for her.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:24 am Didn't know the wife was a pilot Merv. Hope all goes well for her.
Thanks MUM
She had a vitrectomy. Basically had all the jelly sucked out of her eyeball, damage hopefully repaired and eyeball temporarily filled with gas until it naturally fills again. Has to lie face down 24/7 for 5 days now. All under local anaesthetic :shock:
Early indications are good :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Get well soon Mrs BM, doesn't sound too pleasant Merv
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

You'll be the perfect nurse, Merv. Look after her well! >soothe
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Just finished watching the latest incarnation of Rebus on I player. To call this drama gritty is a bit of an understatement.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Was that gritty or s h i t t y ?!!

My hopes were not high when I saw they’d scheduled it for a Saturday night.

Watched about five minutes until he punched his sister’s fella in the bake.

Not been too many decent serials for a while, although perennial favourites Great British Menu, The Apprentice, Interior Design Masters and Masterchef have sustained me.

I enjoyed the first series of The Twelve from Belgium on 4 so I’ll watch the second series when it’s fully available.

The Red King on Alibi, I think, was reasonably entertaining, with some obvious nods to The Wicker Man.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The Pillowman at the Lyric is very good, unsurprisingly.

The lass from The Blame Game was there. She smiled very pleasantly before I’d clocked her.

Treating myself to a weekend back in civilisation in July and couldn’t resist booking 2.22 A Ghost Story again with a different cast, including the coarse one from The Inbetweeners and the multi-talented Stacey Dooley.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Anybody been to see the Caravaggios at the Ulster Museum. Best free thing you'll see for a while.

He was some boy auld Caravaggio.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Killed someone didn’t he?

Might pop in. Must have seen ‘em
before but.

Enjoyed visiting the National Gallery in Dublin last year. I’d just been watching something about Jack Yeats on the tele.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:28 pm Anybody been to see the Caravaggios at the Ulster Museum. Best free thing you'll see for a while.

He was some boy auld Caravaggio.
Fantastic! I signed up for the series of lectures that included one on these. Got to the first three, then missed that one. Eejit.

Saw some of his work in situ in Rome recently. Even better.

He was some boy, indeed. I think his temper got the better of him from time to time!