Squad depth 2024/25

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ljsulster
Novice

Re: Squad depth 2024/25

Post by ljsulster »

I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaching shakeup happens this season
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

Who gets the credit for the pups being there to select can’t be Murphy.
earl the beaver
Novice

Post by earl the beaver »

When are we going to announce who we're signing? We knew LH was an issue for years, hence the signing of Kitshoff and now we appear to be just reverting back to it being a problem again.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The best thing Murphy has done so far is to try Izzy at 6, echoing, to an extent, Baird and Ahern at Leinster and Munster respectively (although Soper was first to try something similar here by leaving McCann out wide in his solitary game in charge).

Big Stu didn’t say much of note on the Rugby Pod this week but he was clear that we don’t want to be going to Limerick with too much to do.

Getting the win on Saturday would go a long way to restoring some belief around the place. And vice versa.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

earl the beaver wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:21 pm When are we going to announce who we're signing? We knew LH was an issue for years, hence the signing of Kitshoff and now we appear to be just reverting back to it being a problem again.
RE LHP would guess that a contract renewal for O'Sullivan will be announced shortly. In terms of other signings, Murphy in an interview this week, that may be limited business yet to be announced otherwise working within the current squad who will be around next season.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

ljsulster wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:03 pm I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaching shakeup happens this season
Grant and Bell have contracts through to Summer 2025, unsure about Soper and Newby.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Newby 2024.

Not certain about Soper but the general chat pointed to next year.
earl the beaver
Novice

Neill_M wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:57 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:21 pm When are we going to announce who we're signing? We knew LH was an issue for years, hence the signing of Kitshoff and now we appear to be just reverting back to it being a problem again.
RE LHP would guess that a contract renewal for O'Sullivan will be announced shortly. In terms of other signings, Murphy in an interview this week, that may be limited business yet to be announced otherwise working within the current squad who will be around next season.
I just don't buy the poverty schtick, we had a budget from the IRFU for Kitshoff, we can buy property, we're losing a number of our more expensive IQ players (Burns, Addison, Marshall) and both of our NIQs.

This is a conscious decision and I just don't get it, in who's interest is it for us to flirt with the bottom of the table and have our youngsters get battered and disillusioned hurting any chance of us providing more players to the international side.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Told to save a million apparently.

Luckily, there must still be some money left to keep Shanners and Matty Rea.
earl the beaver
Novice

justinr73 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:56 pm Told to save a million apparently.

Kitshoff and Ewers gets nearly a million off the deck in one swoop, add in Burns, Marshall and Addison must take us to 1.5
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:Told to save a million apparently.

Sell two properties.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I wouldn't put Shanahan in the Matty Rea category. He's a decent player and value for money third option at 9. He rarely has a bad game, and the game speeds up when he's on. Honestly, he's played better than Doak the few times he's been given a chance. Doak, however, has guaranteed points in him off the tee
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:04 pm

I wouldn't put Shanahan in the Matty Rea category. He's a decent player and value for money third option at 9. He rarely has a bad game, and the game speeds up when he's on. Honestly, he's played better than Doak the few times he's been given a chance. Doak, however, has guaranteed points in him off the tee
He rarely has a game at all.

Four and a half hours on the pitch in the last three seasons.

What could we be paying him that makes an hour and a
half a year good value?
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Having seen the confirmed departures, aside from 10, prop is my biggest concern. Only O’Sullivan, Warwick and Reid on LH and O’Toole, Moore and Wilson on TH, and Reid and Moore have been injured all season.

Wonder if Kyle McCall would fancy a return? Played primarily LH for us, but has been playing TH more recently with Hinch, he’s better than French, McGrath and Griffin, knows the pro game and with a full pre season in him could potentially be the best realistic option out there for a squad filler, especially as he covers both side of the scrum.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Not the worst shout I’ve ever heard, whether that’s even on some kind of standby basis or what have you.

Still only 32.

As of last Saturday, TOT, Moore and Wilson were all injured so I hope Kyle hasn’t gone on his hols yet!

Most Academy props conspicuous by their absence from the game today.