Squad depth 2024/25

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Squad depth 2024/25

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:14 am >minigun
Bobbievee wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 pm Laid out this way. Highlights the OH and Lock frailties and risks
To be honest I actually think we're OK at lock. I think both the academy guys in that position have a good shot of making the grade, so don't mind being one short, with a chance they'll see game time.
Irvine and especially Hopes are both talented but as we've seen with Ahern and Coombes need seriously bulked up for the rigours of pro rugby. Hopes is closer imo. I just don't trust Ulsters S&C programme to bring these guys on. Haven't for over a decade now.
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

There’s a massive narrative that’s developed regarding our squad churn at the end of this season.

Is there nobody in the media brave or bright enough to challenge it?

Nine are leaving. Several bit part players. The two in today’s 23 are widely regarded as being not good enough and a sick note.

Munster are losing at least nine. Connacht are losing 12.
Saracens are losing 15 including some of the biggest names in the game.
Bristol and Newcastle are losing 18 each.

What seemed to go under the radar at the time was that Ulster lost 7 of their QF 23 last season, bringing in just two replacements (who didn’t go particularly well), taking us from a team that finished second on the log to Dan starting this term with one hand tied behind his back.

Notwithstanding that, we’ve won 10 (only just in many cases, true enough) and lost 6, just like the Stormers and, should things go well today we’ll have lost just the one game fewer than Leinster.

I’m not suggesting all is rosy in the garden but, equally, the picture that has been painted in the media displays an element of artistic licence.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Cunningham, Petrie and the new guy and wanted the media to talk about the ‘financial crises’ within Ulster rugby.

A lot of it is down to their own ineptitude!!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

But Bryn could survive Armageddon
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Bigfacthunt
Novice

Post by Bigfacthunt »

Irvine and hopes talented but not mentally up for it. Need better
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bigfacthunt wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:58 pm Irvine and hopes talented but not mentally up for it. Need better
How are they not mentally up to it? They're around 19/20 in one of the most difficult positions bar FR to develop early. If you'd have said conditioning I may agree, but thats more to do with URs S&C programme...
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Correct me if I'm wrong but as things stand, a single bonus point in Limerick will guarantee 7th spot and that will only be necessary if Sharks beat Gloucester AND Lions beat Stormers with a TBP AND the winner of Benetton/Edinburgh gets a TBP? Sorry wrong thread :duh:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:08 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but as things stand, a single bonus point in Limerick will guarantee 7th spot and that will only be necessary if Sharks beat Gloucester AND Lions beat Stormers with a TBP AND the winner of Benetton/Edinburgh gets a TBP? Sorry wrong thread :duh:
Ah Merv, the passing years have not been kind.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:35 pm There’s a massive narrative that’s developed regarding our squad churn at the end of this season.

Is there nobody in the media brave or bright enough to challenge it?

Nine are leaving. Several bit part players. The two in today’s 23 are widely regarded as being not good enough and a sick note.

Munster are losing at least nine. Connacht are losing 12.
Saracens are losing 15 including some of the biggest names in the game.
Bristol and Newcastle are losing 18 each.

What seemed to go under the radar at the time was that Ulster lost 7 of their QF 23 last season, bringing in just two replacements (who didn’t go particularly well), taking us from a team that finished second on the log to Dan starting this term with one hand tied behind his back.

Notwithstanding that, we’ve won 10 (only just in many cases, true enough) and lost 6, just like the Stormers and, should things go well today we’ll have lost just the one game fewer than Leinster.

I’m not suggesting all is rosy in the garden but, equally, the picture that has been painted in the media displays an element of artistic licence.
Pro rugby in the B.I. is going through a serious reassessment and reckoning atm. No-one bar the French can afford luxuries or passengers.

Home grown academy/ non traditional pathways are the only way forward for most.

It's a good point you make Justin but our lack of recruitment nous and financial probity must also be included.
Ref the media don't you mean p#ssartistic licence?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Two of the top five try scorers in the URC play for Ulster.

One of the other three is Werner Kok.

I smell silverware…..
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

It's a little premature regarding Kok. ( Has that one been done yet?) >flog
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:It's a little premature regarding Kok. ( Has that one been done yet?) >flog
It has been announced but there have been a few u turns in recent times. A hard one to take if it doesn't come off.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He was a real handful when he used to pop up unexpectedly but that seems to happen less frequently as he gets older.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think he'll provide plenty of spunk.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I love UAFC Viz ( the non woke version...) :flower: :party: