Ulster v Leinster Saturday May 18 7:35pm TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 1 / Premier Sports (Ireland) 1 / Super Sport / URC TV

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Leinster Saturday May 18 7:35pm TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 1 / Premier Sports (Ireland) 1 / Super Sport / UR

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

DodgyEverything wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:56 pm
justinr73 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:24 pm Given that he couldn’t see exactly where the ref was, I’d say it was actually pretty stupid.
At the time stupid/risky but with 20/20 hindsight streetsmart. Remember Rob Kearney doing the same at the bottom of a ruck in the RDS few years ago to Jared Payne, if it comes off it's great
For fear of being shot down, we're seeing an Indian summer renaissance from Addison. Another year of him at centre would've good business and help the transition- caveated against injury profile. Ironic he's now playing well and currently injury free, in a serious partnership with Stu. Sale taking him for good reason so it's hardly a step down. Ulster- always the bridesmaid.

Both breaking the line at will- Addison nous with Murphy influence?
Exterminate all rational thought
richardt84
Novice

Re: Ulster v Leinster Saturday May 18 7:35pm TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 1 / Premier Sports (Ireland) 1 / Super Sport / UR

Post by richardt84 »

TheBoat wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:50 pm
DodgyEverything wrote:https://x.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/17 ... 4273947119

Very savvy from Addison here, and a good bit of street smarts that have by and large been missing for a few seasons
Any videos of Leinster being offside at every ruck like Saracens of old.

Or James Ryan lying on the ball at every opportunity.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
The thread of tweets starting with the linked tweet below is quite good at highlighting the approach from Leinster at the breakdown.

https://x.com/overthehillprop/status/17 ... 35294?s=46
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

TheBoat wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:50 pm
DodgyEverything wrote:https://x.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/17 ... 4273947119

Very savvy from Addison here, and a good bit of street smarts that have by and large been missing for a few seasons
Any videos of Leinster being offside at every ruck like Saracens of old.

Or James Ryan lying on the ball at every opportunity.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Wasn't that what led to our winning penalty? Not Ryan but same idea?

And it was really great to see Jacob's big smile back again in his run in to score.
DodgyEverything
Novice

Post by DodgyEverything »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:18 pm
justinr73 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:24 pm Given that he couldn’t see exactly where the ref was, I’d say it was actually pretty stupid.
At the time stupid/risky but with 20/20 hindsight streetsmart. Remember Rob Kearney doing the same at the bottom of a ruck in the RDS few years ago to Jared Payne, if it comes off it's great
For fear of being shot down, we're seeing an Indian summer renaissance from Addison. Another year of him at centre would've good business and help the transition- caveated against injury profile. Ironic he's now playing well and currently injury free, in a serious partnership with Stu. Sale taking him for good reason so it's hardly a step down. Ulster- always the bridesmaid.

He's looked a lot more influential at 13 than he did early on this year at FB. Maybe shaking off rust, maybe less time to think and more reactionary. Shame injuries were so horrendous, what a player
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:10 pm I have no faith in Stewarts throws.. fatal flaw in his game
Like Rory Best then?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

As an aside from everything else that went on on Saturday night, and I don't think I've seen it mentioned, did no one else see Ryan flying over a ruck to make head on head connection with Scott Wilson (if you include scrumcaps as part of the head)? It was about half-way on the terrace side - right in front of me.

Wilson fell over backwards but got up immediately and appeared none the worse for the experience, but I would have thought the TMO would at least have asked the ref to have a look. Likewise the Citing Official, albeit perhaps he has already and deemed there is no case to answer - the usual from any Irish Citing Officials for Irish interpros.

I occurred around the 70min mark - unless I dreamt it of course!

Did no-one see this?
I'm not arguing -
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Leinster have a final this Saturday. There was no way Ryan was going to be penalised. Now if it had been Wilson hitting Ryan. Different story.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Ryan has to be the most overrated player in Ireland
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

big mervyn wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:16 am Ryan has to be the most overrated player in Ireland
after Harry Byrne!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Deraless wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:22 pm Lying on the ball with your arms up like you are trying to move away but aren't is still a penalty. Clearly offside and got away with it loads of times. Leinster seem to have refs on a string.
I recall many years ago whe Leo was still playing we were at the Our DS.

There was a ruck with ref standing right beside it when Plug came from the Ulster side, almost pushed the ref out of the way to join it from the side - the Ulster side - and I think the ref was too shocked that he must have thought he imagined it, but Plug got away with it and a moment or two later penalised Ulster for some offence or t'other.

If yer gonna break the rules, well and truly break them. Dont bend them, smash them to smithereens.

It seems to work if yer wearing blue.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jetstream wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:44 am Leinster have a final this Saturday. There was no way Ryan was going to be penalised. .....
Well, yes. Naturally.

But did anyone else see that, or did I imagine it?

Anyone got it on Betamax or whatever prepared to play it back around the 70/71/72 minute mark to see if I had fallen asleep and bin dreamin?
I'm not arguing -
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

There was definitely a coming together. Wilson just got on with it. I haven’t rewound the video though.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

DodgyEverything wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:11 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:18 pm

He's looked a lot more influential at 13 than he did early on this year at FB. Maybe shaking off rust, maybe less time to think and more reactionary. Shame injuries were so horrendous, what a player
He's less exposed for pace at centre than at 15 and has the skills to unlock tight high pressing defences. He's also a hard b'stard with a bit of filth that we need. Cracking, what a sadly lost opportunity.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:11 pm
Deraless wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:22 pm Lying on the ball with your arms up like you are trying to move away but aren't is still a penalty. Clearly offside and got away with it loads of times. Leinster seem to have refs on a string.
I recall many years ago whe Leo was still playing we were at the Our DS.

There was a ruck with ref standing right beside it when Plug came from the Ulster side, almost pushed the ref out of the way to join it from the side - the Ulster side - and I think the ref was too shocked that he must have thought he imagined it, but Plug got away with it and a moment or two later penalised Ulster for some offence or t'other.

If yer gonna break the rules, well and truly break them. Dont bend them, smash them to smithereens.

It seems to work if yer wearing blue.
From the "boot Bishop Brennan up the ar#e " playbook