Other Champions / Challenge Cup

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Other Champions / Challenge Cup

Post by rumncoke »

Carley had basically a one eye inconsistent game. In so far as

1 in the first half Toulouse committed the exact same offence as Lowe no card.
2 Toulouse were charging rucks the whole match it was only a matter of time before a head contact was going to be made --- resulting in a red card it should have been penalised early as dangerous play
3 Fawley took and elbow to the head in a tackle before Toulouse's first try ( accident or not ) it is still foul play ( if adjudged not to be accidentental a red card Offence )
4 Not to sure what Osborne's offence was to be penalised a really strange decision.

Those decisions aside in my opinion the leinster back line looked out of sorts which maybe down to the fact that Byrne is not a big match out half - he is at best a competent one at URC level but inconsistent in performance another Billy Burns except with few mistakes and less flair. Billy Burns on his game would be better except being on his game is a rare occurrence but trying and failing as Billy is inclined to do can be expensive.

There was a lot of individual effort by Leinster but they never got the act together , whereas when the Toulouse back line had the ball they always looked dangerous.

When Ulster got a pool with Harlequins and Toulouse it really was a group of death
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

A bit disappointed not to see penalties. Would have been interested to see how Leinster managed that.

I think yesterday put to bed this narrative gaining traction recently that JGP is Dupont's equal.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

big mervyn wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:17 pm A bit disappointed not to see penalties. Would have been interested to see how Leinster managed that.

I think yesterday put to bed this narrative gaining traction recently that JGP is Dupont's equal.
Agreed. Not within a country mile of Dupont and he's hardly a spring chicken in comparison. Leinster have some significant personnel changes coming at them in the next few years. But when you can get the likes of Snyman, you're always winning the provincial arms race
Exterminate all rational thought
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:18 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:17 pm A bit disappointed not to see penalties. Would have been interested to see how Leinster managed that.

Agreed. Not within a country mile of Dupont and he's hardly a spring chicken in comparison. Leinster have some significant personnel changes coming at them in the next few years. But when you can get the likes of Snyman, you're always winning the provincial arms race
Seeing players of his calibre at Ravenhill is one of the reasons I want us to qualify for the Champions Cup.

I don't think I could get up for PP pool games
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

We’re still the last side to beat them over there I think.

Great day out was that.

Felt a bit jaded upon arrival at the Montpellier v Quins game the next day though.

There is a really weird post on the Leinster fans site from an Ulster fan. I hope they’re taking the pi55 but I don’t think they are.

https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/view ... &start=800
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:55 pm We’re still the last side to beat them over there I think.

Great day out was that.

Felt a bit jaded upon arrival at the Montpellier v Quins game the next day though.

There is a really weird post on the Leinster fans site from an Ulster fan. I hope they’re taking the pi55 but I don’t think they are.

https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/view ... &start=800
Bet they support Man City too

They may well win the URC (Leinster not Citeh) but they don't deserve to
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Quiz question

5 sides have one the European Cup without scoring a try in the final

Ulster and which other 4?
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Leinster against Racing 92 is one of them.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Correct
Big Neville Southall