LI and Foul and Abusive Language - Questions for Mike Reid

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

horslips
Initiate

LI and Foul and Abusive Language - Questions for Mike Reid

Post by horslips »

A source has related to me the events that apparenty occurred in Reading. Ulster players were apparently subjected to a torrent of foul and abusive language from the LI bench. This was along the lines of or***e b*****ds, Pr***y B*****ds etc. One player was allegedgely stunned to find the bench actually spitting at him during the game.

Now the exact nature of the complaint lodged against Ulster is not yet clear - was it racism or simply (so to speak) general abuse,swearing and sectarian comments. Irrespective of the nature none of this behaviour should be tolerated in rugby and should be dealt with swiftly, clearly and decisively.

If my source is correct and there was sectarian abuse of the Ulster squad then this in my mind is every bit as henious as rascism. One only has to look at the Scottish FA to see how seriously this type of behaviour is viewed in other sports.

If UR management are able to confirm the above one has to ask what response has been made by them. If the story is correct and nothing has been said or done what message does this send out to the squad? Do the management not feel the need to stand up for their players particularly since several have been "fingered" as possible culprits? Are we to be seen as the instigators of the whole episode, and carry all the blame? Are we to sit back and allow the good name of Ulster Rugby to be dragged through the mud by the actions of that moron Brian Smith.
Was advance warning of the possiblity of such behaviour given to management by some one from the Scarlets management - My source says that it was?

These are some of the potentialy most serious challenges that Ulster Rugby has faced in recent years. If correct they require decisive leadership and a proactive response. Mr Reid will you pledge to do this?
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

I doubt very much if he will answer you here. You have abetter chance if you write to him or even telephone him but bearing in mind the sensitivity of the issue I doubt if you will get more than the offical statement.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Horslips

I too doubt if UR will publicly pledge to do as you ask.

You post brings up new issues and insider information which perhaps was released to you so that you would do exactly as you have done and made it public knowledge. Well as public as it can be on a MB. It is only hearsay in my (non legal) opinion.

You also bring the name of another Club into the affair which you have now widened.

You ask a question about the management sticking up for the players and by doing so you may (inadvertently?) place it in the mind of others that something serious lies behind your question.

The players themselves, as a group or individually, have to determine if one (or a number) are not being represented or supported adequately by Management. They could do this as a group or by appointing Senior Players to speak to Management regarding any concerns.

They perhaps could also enlist support, help and guidance from Player Representatives or even Solicitors if required.

I just don’t think your post is necessary (and I strongly hope I am correct) and I additionally ponder on the motivation of your source.

I think I am close to your general views on Smith and the whole debacle however
Illegitimi Non Carborundum