URC 2022/23 - Other Sides

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: URC 2022/23 - Other Sides

Post by Neill_M »

SATURDAY, JUNE 22

BKT URC Grand Final

Vodacom Bulls v Glasgow Warriors
Loftus Versveld Stadium, Pretoria – KO 17.00 IRE & UK / 18.00 ITA & SA
Referee: Andrea Piardi (FIR, 45th league game)
AR 1: Frank Murphy (IRFU) AR 2: Craig Evans (WRU)
TMO: Matteo Liperini (FIR)
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

It's such a long season for internationals - World Cup then straight into the club season which is finishing much later because of said World Cup, then days later straight into a SA tour. I'm surprised there aren't more players removing themselves from selection.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

For the centrally contracted players it's literally their job to play for Ireland. The player management thing exists to allow for this. That's in the IRFU thinking. Not my view. These guys will suffer post rugby.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Glasgow were excellent, tbh the scoreline flattered Munster. Seeing lots of comment along the lines of ‘disappointed by the loss, but Rowntree is building something special’ which I don’t see at all. Munster look bang average to me. With a full team out we beat them. Over the last 2 seasons they’ve somehow managed to time a couple of little purple patches to push them on - and those have been really impressive, particularly their away results in SA which have been outstanding - but there’s been a lot of mediocrity there as well, and I wasn’t surprised to see them run out of steam against Glasgow.

The half backs were poor, not what you want to see from an Ireland POV. is Casey the most over-rated player in Ireland? Run close by Frisch and Coombes. I can see Crowley losing his spot to Prendergast over the next 18 months…
..one more thing
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yep.

That horrific early pen miss by Crowley has barely been mentioned.

He’s made some big errors in the last few weeks, not least in the first half against us.

He’ll be losing his spot to Billy first, of course.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Have quite enjoyed the pods this week.

Plenty of Dubs gnashing their teeth, although the RTE lot pretty much went straight to their summer tour preview.

And rather than sending the kids to SA, it seems that not finishing top of the log is considered to be down to not beating Ulster :lol:
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:12 am Have quite enjoyed the pods this week.

Plenty of Dubs gnashing their teeth, although the RTE lot pretty much went straight to their summer tour preview.

And rather than sending the kids to SA, it seems that not finishing top of the log is considered to be down to not beating Ulster :lol:
Forums are quite juicy too. Much crying and gnashing of teeth in non tour selection of Coombes, Hodnett and Daly. Apparently it is all Jacob's fault.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Izzy’s selection hasn’t been questioned and is seen as a suitable reward for his “excellent season”.

Whereas we all know that his excellent season has pretty much consisted of three and a half hours in the last four games.

Incredible really. Talk about a “bolter”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets on the field in SA. Baird, for all his physical attributes, seems to be lacking some rugby IQ.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Jacob has looked leaner and sharper in the last few months and deserves his place. Someone put up his stats against daly in another forum and he is ahead on almost every metric. People remember the glaring mistakes over any positives so he will always be questioned.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

jean valjean wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:58 am Jacob has looked leaner and sharper in the last few months and deserves his place. Someone put up his stats against daly in another forum and he is ahead on almost every metric. People remember the glaring mistakes over any positives so he will always be questioned.
Every player misses a tackle. Ronan O'Gara was a turnstile. David Wallace and Quinlan did the tackling for him for years
Now apparently he is a legend and I think was defence coach in his first coaching appointment.
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

justinr73 wrote:Izzy’s selection hasn’t been questioned and is seen as a suitable reward for his “excellent season”.

Whereas we all know that his excellent season has pretty much consisted of three and a half hours in the last four games.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets on the field in SA. Baird, for all his physical attributes, seems to be lacking some rugby IQ.
I’d love to see it, because Baird’s form for the second half of the season fell off a cliff. And POM has been a waste of space for much of the season for Munster, but I suppose when has that ever stopped him being picked for Ireland Image
..one more thing
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:20 am Izzy’s selection hasn’t been questioned and is seen as a suitable reward for his “excellent season”.

McCann has as much claim as Issy and he's been excellent bar injury for 18 months now, but doesn't play third choice for Leinster. He's played against more internationals and big teams than Penny and Connors.
Hodnett can also feel aggrieved for the same reason. Coombes not convinced about
Exterminate all rational thought
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Glasgow doing well against Bulls 16 14 after 55 mins. Piardi awarded a dodgy try to Bulls without looking at it. The Bulls scorer did not release the ball before getting up to run on. Could go either way.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Glasgow score brilliant try to lead 16 21. Superb comeback from 13 0.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

And another dodgy call deprives Glasgow of another try.