More News about new signings

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

the original kimble
Warrior Chief

More News about new signings

Post by the original kimble »

Neil Hanna and Jarleth Carey to return home to Ulster?

Well, it’s in today’s Belfast Telegraph:

Speculation is rife that Ulster have made approaches for Titans prop Jarleth Carey and hooker Neil Hanna who could return home after leaving Harlequins to join Bester at the Clifton Lane club.

Carey captained Quins against Shannon in the All Ireland League final in 2005 while Hanna has made the transition for the back row to hooker.

Certainly the duo would be warmly welcomed back to the Province but the Titans are unlikely to let them go too easily.

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Does anyone have any idea of which players are out of contract at the end of the season? A new prop and a new hooker would surely mean some players being released.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Maybe Court returning to Oz

Is Shields or Brady out of Contract ?
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

bogboy wrote:Maybe Court returning to Oz

Is Shields or Brady out of Contract ?
Wouldn't be overly upset if Shields was out of contract.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Now behave, or Shieldsy will throw a tantrum

(but would it go near enough anyone for them to notice?)
andy white
Novice

Post by andy white »

Why is it that so many people have cheap shots at Shieldsy on this board- it seems that loyal servants of Ulster over the years such as Doak,Bell and even last year Paddy(although they've gone strangely quiet this year) end up getting pilloried for no good reason.
On Saturday he hit 90% of his lineouts and didn't as far as I could see miss a tackle yet every body says he can't throw or tackle!
In the early games of the season when he started his throwing was spot on and until Saturday we had won every game he started in while Rory has only won 6 of the 13 he has started. I'm not saying he is better than Rory but he is still a very good player who deserves better than the treatment he gets on this board.
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

Andy are you actually Shieldsy or his Da he is pants!!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I always stood up for Wallace. Believed he had the talent to go all the way. Doak and Dinger played on for to long and McCall wouldn't move them down the pecking order behind KC and Steiney respectively. Shieldsy, never been a fan, just wonder what Brady has done so wrong over the past 6 months, he had been our 2nd choice hooker.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
andy white
Novice

Post by andy white »

Wonderfully thought out and well reasoned response,pimpmac.

P.S. Do you seriously think Shieldsy would come on this message board - seem to recall that Neil Mcmillen was accused of the same thing a few weeks. I've never met the guy - just think he doesn't deserve the abuse.
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

In fairness to Andy Shieldsy did play well at the start of the season and our lineout was as good as it's been recently against the Ospreys with Shieldsy probably with an 80%+ success rate.

That said Shieldsy did have an absolute shocker against Connacht on Boxing Day. If any hooker is on his way i suspect it's Brady. Rory will miss the first two months of the season so we need adequate cover, i'm not convinced a converted back rower from the English National League 1 is going to surfice. I'd like to see Philpott given a chance to see if he's up to it.

Carey would be a good signing though.
Tevez
Initiate

Post by Tevez »

RHH

Court is on a very cheap contract.

Expect to see him loaned out soon. Not as bad as you say - but needs quality game time and has slipped behind Declan etc
If only everyone had Neil McMillan's dedication....
ulster_heroes
Novice

Post by ulster_heroes »

must say im also a shieldsy 'fan' for want of a better word. always been loyal to ulster, lineouts and scrums are sound and gets around the park. not to mention the fact that he works his Brennan off every game! a good cover for rory and for stepping up during the internationals!
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Don't want them. Phillpott should be upgraded to full deal ahead of bringing someone else back from Division one.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Perhaps why Shieldsy is playing at present in preference to Brady has got something to do with Brady having a broken thumb.
He fecked up big time with the first 3 lineouts last week so how was he playing well :? suppose he got a few right later :roll:
Agree with cjp about the other 2 as well, they were not up to the standard a year ago and it's extremely doubtfull if they are now.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ulster80
Novice

Post by ulster80 »

I Have to agree paul shields has been a good servant for ulster over the years but he has been below average during this season . And if anyone who watched the pre season friendly agaisnt rotherham neil hanna had a far superior game to shieldsy he was quicker around the park and seemed to look a lot more interested. Iwould say shieldsy and brady will be released and why not bring a guy back who has left the province to improve his rugby and take the step from ail to first division in order to learn the game more and from watching some of the games there isnt a vast difference between the magners league and the 1st division this is evident if u look at the table there is currently 5 teams that could take the title . As i have heard from several guys who have seen him play several times for rotherham this season and said he has had some excellent games, this along side his team mate jarleth who is i think is very under rated.