Geordan Murphy On The Ulster Duo

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Geordan Murphy On The Ulster Duo

Post by colinh »

Courtesy of the Sunday Times:
We don’t have that depth but we do have a couple of players coming through. I knew Tommy Bowe before last week as he played against USA last year.

He looks in good shape and more confident. But the guy everyone is talking about is Andrew Trimble. I’d heard he was a bit of a beast and he certainly is powerful — he showed that against Biarritz last week. He’s also quick and skilful and highly impressive.

The two young Ulstermen were sharing this week and had their rooms trashed by experienced internationals who should know better — I was visiting my family home in Jigginstown so my alibi was secure. But to be honest, it wasn’t really a week for high jinks. Five consecutive days of training and meetings and video analysis is tough going, especially when it rains every time you go outside. The encouraging thing was how focused everyone seemed. The mood is good.

It will be interesting to see Eddie’s starting line-up, especially the back three. Last Friday, we ran quite a bit with me at full-back and Tommy and Anthony Horgan on the wings, which felt good. I’m not taking anything for granted, however.

I’m happy enough with my form. Leicester’s most recent Heineken Cup game against Stade Francais may have been a bit grim but at least we came away with a bonus point — it was the same against Biarritz last year and that ended up being the difference in us qualifying from our pool.

Pat Howard allowed me to ease my way into the domestic season with Leicester. He knew I needed a decent break after the New Zealand tour. so instead of playing Worcester, I was at London’s Royal Festival Hall to see the first gig on Lucie’s tour. She’s going to busy over the next few weeks. So will I.
More selected highlights:
Horgan still has bruising on his shoulder but is much more likely to play. How Ireland need him. You think of the problems he caused the Springboks at 12 last year and think also of the consequence of him not playing — Andrew Trimble has been a revelation but this isn't the match for him to make his debut.

Horgan is also one of the few players who can get Ireland over the gain-line. The line-breakers are in pitifully short supply in the pack. In fact, Marcus Horan is the only forward who answers the description and he won’t have quite the same energy he brings off the bench. This is his first start against one of the superpowers of the sport and his performance in the tight will be scrutinised.

It looks a worryingly fresh-faced Irish pack — if Easterby doesn’t make it, that means Denis Leamy at blind-side and, for all his brilliance against Castres last week, he is still a rookie at international level, and Johnny O’Connor isn’t far ahead of him. Then you have Matt McCullough coming off the bench to make his debut. Horgan still has bruising on his shoulder but is much more likely to play. How Ireland need him. You think of the problems he caused the Springboks at 12 last year and think also of the consequence of him not playing — Andrew Trimble has been a revelation but this isn't the match for him to make his debut.

Horgan is also one of the few players who can get Ireland over the gain-line. The line-breakers are in pitifully short supply in the pack. In fact, Marcus Horan is the only forward who answers the description and he won’t have quite the same energy he brings off the bench. This is his first start against one of the superpowers of the sport and his performance in the tight will be scrutinised.

It looks a worryingly fresh-faced Irish pack — if Easterby doesn’t make it, that means Denis Leamy at blind-side and, for all his brilliance against Castres last week, he is still a rookie at international level, and Johnny O’Connor isn’t far ahead of him. Then you have Matt McCullough coming off the bench to make his debut.
Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Not sure that a lot of that will go down terribly well in the camp.
"Not many line breakers in the pack"
"Leamy and O'Connor inexperienced"
worst one - "McCullough coming off the bench to make his debut"

Seems Geordan's decided who's in the team for Eddie.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

The more selected highlights was written by Peter O'Reilly not Geordan.
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Correct!
Your point?
The trouble with referees is that they just don't care which side wins - Tom Canterbury.

Ulster proud sponsors of Comical Eddie! :roll:
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

cjp wrote:The more selected highlights was written by Peter O'Reilly not Geordan.
Agreed.

Romeo47 Alpha 52
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

My point is deadball that Freddie seemed to think Geordan had said those things and as he put it was selecting the squad for Eddie.

I was just letting him know that it wasn't Geordan who said that.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

thanks for the correction - I was going on colin's cut and paste that it was all from the pen of Murphy
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Apologies for not making it clear.

Romeo47 Alpha 52
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

awwww
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :wink:
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

fermain wrote:awwww
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :wink:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: sort of guy I am.

Romeo47 Alpha 52