Cardiff Blues V Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Silverstu
Initiate

Re: Cardiff Blues V Ulster

Post by Silverstu »

What the chances of Cave being rested for this one and someone else getting a run in the 13 shirt? Since we lost Nevin and Farrell is out for the season maybe need someone else to have run at 13 before the HEC in case Cave picks up a knock?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Payne or Bowe would deputise. I'd be happier if both were getting back up to speed in 'their' positions for now at least. Cave hasnt played a lot of rugby yet this year
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

+1
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

With Rory Scholes shining for the U20s at fullback and Peter Nelson being a lightning quick centre/fullback, I reckon Anscombe should try and develop Nelson into a 13. Having watched him there for the Irish U20s he could be Stuart Hogg esque IMO in that position.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

ColinM wrote:Payne or Bowe would deputise. I'd be happier if both were getting back up to speed in 'their' positions for now at least. Cave hasnt played a lot of rugby yet this year
Absolutely I'd prefer Cave at 13, Bowe on the wing and Payne at 15 [he looks so classy there]- just thought Anscombe might try someone else as one of his "wildcard" selections but Bowe abd Payne could slot in there easy enough I suppose.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Silverstu wrote:What the chances of Cave being rested for this one and someone else getting a run in the 13 shirt? Since we lost Nevin and Farrell is out for the season maybe need someone else to have run at 13 before the HEC in case Cave picks up a knock?
Perhaps someone else wearing 13 but Cave still playing, need a big strong defender to take Roberts out at 12
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Big-al wrote:With Rory Scholes shining for the U20s at fullback and Peter Nelson being a lightning quick centre/fullback, I reckon Anscombe should try and develop Nelson into a 13. Having watched him there for the Irish U20s he could be Stuart Hogg esque IMO in that position.
It is fairly obvious that the 'bolter' for 13 this year will be Mike Allen, the other lads are exciting prospect but arent ready to be facing off Jamie Roberts and the likes just yet
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Rooster wrote:
Silverstu wrote:What the chances of Cave being rested for this one and someone else getting a run in the 13 shirt? Since we lost Nevin and Farrell is out for the season maybe need someone else to have run at 13 before the HEC in case Cave picks up a knock?
Perhaps someone else wearing 13 but Cave still playing, need a big strong defender to take Roberts out at 12
You reckon Allen at 13?
The King is dead. Long live the King.
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

(15-9): J Payne; T Bowe, M Allen, D Cave, A Trimble; P Jackson, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, N Brady, J Afoa, N McComb, D Tuohy, I Henderson, C Henry (c), N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, A Macklin, L Stevenson , M McComish, M Heaney, P Wallace, C Gilroy.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Muller injured in training...balls.... >#
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Obvious talking point is the centre partnership. MA is obviously a big fan of MA :D

Perhaps the national selectors are keen to have a look at Cave wearing 12?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Interesting, not as strong as I would have liked. Still to be convinced by McComb and Allen.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

mea97mb wrote:(15-9): J Payne; T Bowe, M Allen, D Cave, A Trimble; P Jackson, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, N Brady, J Afoa, N McComb, D Tuohy, I Henderson, C Henry (c), N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, A Macklin, L Stevenson , M McComish, M Heaney, P Wallace, C Gilroy.
Well- I'll say this- team selection isn't as straightforward as it has been in the past! Surprised at Cave at 12- evidently Rooster and KingoftheHill are very well informed- thought Allen might have gotten run at 13 and as you guys say Cave brings his strong defence at 12 [plus he has great distribution and is a very smart player]. All change in the 2nd row is a surprise - great to have Tuohy back and McComb seems to have put himself about pretty well when he has been on. Muller gets a rest and the squad gets fully utilised- like that backrow too- Henderson will be one to watch at 6 and good to have Chris back at 7. Really looking forward to this!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Where's Luke Marshall disappeared to?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Jackie Brown wrote:Interesting, not as strong as I would have liked. Still to be convinced by McComb and Allen.
Well yes- and here they have a chance to impress- I don't think either has looked out of place when they have been on though [Allen having more pitch time]. Pretty lethal back three with Bowe,Trimble and Payne!
Luke Marshall just rotated I guess to give Paddy some pitch time? If these guys put a performance in we will be all the better going forward in terms of depth, bit of a risk maybe but worth it I think.