Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ireland vs France

Post by Bart S »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by rumncoke » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:40 am

Mccarty is not an International player his mind was at least a minute behind the game . a sort of a " he's passed to me -- I think i was meant to be running before I caught the ball -- at least I caught it this time . before I was tackled .
Paul O'Connell has made himself one of the best in the world over the past 7 or 8 years playing like this. At least 3 or 4 times a game he likes to take the ball standing at first receiver, static and loses the team ground every time!
True Fuzzy. Paulie is/has been a fantastic player but this "taking the ball static in midfield" thing over the past few years has seen me screaming at the game or on the telly numerous times.

From what I recall. Justin Harrison did a bit of this as well, either going to ground or losing yards.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

[quote="big mervyn"
Ireland weren't helped yesterday by the fact that DK obviously had zero confidence in his front row replacements. Ross was obviously punctured, yet laboured on 'till the end, to what end I'm not sure?[/quote]

It's very clear DK has little faith in a large part of our bench. Now some of that is down to injuries but tbh other than Strauss, I'm struggling to see what other front row options he would actually trust. He's also down to a very green backrow sub and backup outhalf, so all in all that's 5 out of our 8 subs whom he has reservations about. No coincidence that the ones he did bring on meaningfully (ie Reddan, Donners and Luke) are all pretty experienced.

Whoever's coach next season should at least have the benefit of seeing Killer, Deccie Fitz (if fit) or Archer, Strauss/Cronin, Hendo, PJ/Madigan etc getting some meaningful international action via the summer tour. One of our problems is that the summer tour schedule in recent years hasn't given us a decent opportunity to a number of blood guys in a decent environment as we've always had to send weakened (through injury) teams to face the big guns from the Southern Hemisphere.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

A missed opportunity but that is what we have unfortunately come to expect v France.

I think all the French scores came from the scrum. It just shows I think that we are basically screwed at tight head. Ross is getting worse by the game but the guy on the bench only really has a bit of Rabo experience. This is the area which is the difference between us winning and losing and it is the area which the IRFU have neglected the most for the last 10 years or more. The IRFU need to manage this situation. It is beyond unacceptable. To be honest right now we are not much better at hooker, except that luckily our first choice guy is pretty class. If anything went wrong with him though we'd be in trouble. Cronin as second choice at the mo is not encouraging. But I think people going on about the LH side v Scotland were incorrect. The issue is mostly on the other side. Both Court and Kilcoyne are going to be in trouble if Ross is not doing his job which he is not doing or not able to do. Healy is better than both of them combined in every facet of the game but even he appears to be under pressure because of Ross. As I said many times in the past we didn't know how lucky we were when we had The Bull. FFS he's 10 times the player Ross is, including in the basic job of a tight head despite that being his weakest point. At the very least he never backed off a challenge in his life.

McCarthy yet again proved he is not an international player and indeed I have big doubts on him being capable of playing effectively for Leinster in the H Cup. It's OK looking decent for Connacht because our expectations of them is pretty low anyway. The only bloody nuisance is we are struggling to find someone else up to it. Pity Henderson hasn't a bit more experience at second row. Mind you I'd have started with DOC for this game.

Murray a good game. Again I will say he is a frustrating player. Next game now he will probably revert to his gowl-acting.

Encouraging to see young Jackson playing well and kicking well after all that has been said since the last game. As one who was calling for him not to be demoted as the kicker I am particularly delighted. This game will stand to him in the long term.

Thought Luke Marshall played great again. I would anyway I suppose as I've been going on about him for a couple of years now. His tackling and "on the ground" work is outstanding. He even came up with one piece of play so wonderful that the commentators assumed it was BOD who did it. :D

Thought Kearney played pretty well too and McFadden was good.

Dreadful injury for Reddan the poor fecker. Awful to see such an injury for any player.

BOD is a warrior. Pure and simple.

Our injury list is increasing. All the provinces are going to feel some pain because of this, not to mention the pain of trying to select a team who can beat Italy. With our scrum as it is we will do well to beat them anyway unless that langer decides he will take some pain for the team. Maybe time for that first 6N defeat to them.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

On a more positive note I watched this game in town and then stayed out all night, including going to nightclub(or disco as we would have called them back in the day. :D ) Despite the fact I feel too old for all that stuff I was well rewarded as the amount of talent on display more than made up for the earlier disappointment of the match although I have paid the price with some serious pain today but unlike some players who shall remain nameless I am not afraid of a challenge which can end up with aches. :D

Sometimes one can forget just how many RHB's are in one's own town.

Hmmm OK this really is nothing to do with this match.

Gwan.

>TLGH
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Indiana
Novice

Post by Indiana »

DK in an interview with BBC says

"We are frustrated, but there are lads coming in who have no experience at this level under their belts and are doing such a good job for us. "

Why have they no experience Deccy, because you decided not to pick them ya welt! I have posted on a number of occasions about the failure of the Ireland set up to select anyone other than the same old same old and now he gurns because his lack of forward thinking is coming back to bite him on the Brennan. As I said before my Huskies could do a better job on team selection.

On the up side PJ and Luke had good solid games and this can only make life better at Ulster. I have watched both grow in stature this season and in the Ireland set up they are playing with some of the best. Luke really looked comfortable beside the best outside centre in the world and this can only add to his confidence. I know many have said here just give us back our players but for the younger players international selection allows them to step up to a new level.

Ditch Kidney and get someone who has the balls to stand up to the faceless suits and be an international coach.

>TT >TT
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Having had low expectations of the match, I declined my usual approach of drinking sparingly before the match and pinned a quantity of Tom's finest Guinness in Doheny & Nesbitt for several hours after a hearty breakfast. Having paused briefly only to go to & from the game, I watched with interest but can't swear to have taken in everything.

I was impressed as most were with the first half but after 50 minutes it was clearly a case of can we hold on, no question of us adding to our score but for the call on the illegal assault on Keet about which I am told Hook decided the shoulder to shoulder off the ball is legal. He should try that on refs who routinely award penalties against players who alter their running lines to obstruct players. A penalty all day long, if not quite clear enough for a penalty try decision. A cowardly decision as I suspect that the TV ref considered he had to ignore it or go Penalty try. I was sitting opposite the 22 on that side & Earls was certainly the quickest of the 3 chasers and was getting there first.

That apart a brave display in a 15 v 23 man game. The Irish bench may as well have been on holiday. Henderson had no time to get into the game, DOC was no improvement on Ryan who I assume is still having back trouble for why you would sub him instead of the waste of skin & bone I don't know.

I was incensed by Reddan, he is an Brennan of a player and amongst his first couple of "contributions" were 2 episodes costing valuable territory each time. I was more than happy to break his legs at that stage but of course felt instant sympathy for the man when the French actually accomplished the feat. Dreadful injury & I hope he heals well at his age.

Ferg played a good 60 minutes but then made mistakes late on. Kearney good but that sliced kick when he had the entire field to find and no one back was a disaster and cost us ultimately.

Excellent display by the Ginger Prince after the unwarranted stick last time. His one weakness there was he lacks 5 to 10 metres of range compared to most frontline kickers and the 2 misses were range issues for me. On the positive side, his general play appears spot on again after a tricky enough spell this side of Christmas for Ulster.

Murray yet again not perfect but the only show in town at 9, people need to stop harping on about him for there is no viable alternative even before Reddan's unfortunate injury. Not sure he warrants it but Small p should bench next week as there is nothing to gain from playing Boss.

I completely and utterly concur with Shan about Ross, the tragedy is the lack of alternative. Neither Robin Hood nor Killer could be exposed to a French scrum.

Fitzgerald did nothing to convince me that he is an international player, he is like a fart in a trance, you can almost see his brain clicking through the gears and he loses whatever space might be available to a player with a normal brain.

Donncha is now officially toast, unable to make the slightest improvement with fresh legs, another position with few realistic alternatives given Dan's lack of oumph this season & POC's injury woes. I see the great man is supposed to be starting a comeback this week but clearly too late for Rome.

Finally I was embarrassed by the atmosphere, it sounded like a French home game to me. I hate the Aviva, a mess of a stadium.

Must watch the game sometime to see what actually happened :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

I wouldn't bother, Baggy. You seem to have grasped the salient points very well. I have to say that I thought our back row were fantastic, so much so that Dusautoir and Nyanga were basically anonymous and only the superb Picamoles showed up at all. McCarthy again showed that he's not really up to it at this level and what you and Shan have said about Ross is correct. Meanwhile, the carnage continues in our backs and I'm starting to wonder if they are simply too small to take the battering that happens at this level of rugby where every other set of backs averages about 6 feet 4 and 17 stones or so.
Substituting Murray at 60 minutes, whether or not he was knackered, seemed to be insane, considering the front row all had to play the full 80 and must have been a lot more knackered than Murray.
And the Earls incident was definitely a penalty although nothing more than that.
The Italians will be looking forward to beating our under 23s on Saturday!
Bo***cks to Brexit
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

McCarthy getting a lot of flak here but he was the top tackler on the day according to the stats. He also did his primary job of shoving Ross's Brennan. Ross also getting flak but what other 33 year old THP in the 6N has to last 80 mins everytime? Where is Declan Fitzpatrick when we need him now?
Earls didn't deserve a penalty from where I was sitting. Heaslip was good for his try. Let better but behind the competition for the Lions.
BOD for his own sake must call it a day. I'd like to have our hero in one piece in 20 years. He doesn't need to punish himself any further.
Horrible for Reddan, he had a lovely kick that almost got the 5 m throw in just beforehand.
SOB was magnificent and he should join Rory Best to make up our Lions contingent. POC might make it three Irish if he plays in the next few weeks for the Turnips. BOD should not be brought for health reasons even though he is capable of it.

Luke Fitz is only getting a cameo but he still made the yards according to the stats. I don't understand why he is getting criticism for his very limited appearances here.

Final thought is the attrition level in top rugby. There will be nobody left over 30 at this rate. Somebody said that England couldn't get over the physicality of the French. I can understand that now.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Dublin4 wrote:McCarthy getting a lot of flak here but he was the top tackler on the day according to the stats.
Please, don't start this again :roll:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Was POM playing :stir:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Ahem, POM was joint top tackler with McC on 9 tackles, ACCORDING TO THE STATS!
There, I started it again.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dublin4 wrote:Ahem, POM was joint top tackler with McC on 9 tackles, ACCORDING TO THE STATS!
There, I started it again.
:shock: did the French run into them and trip ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Dublin4 wrote:McCarthy getting a lot of flak here but he was the top tackler on the day according to the stats. He also did his primary job of shoving Ross's ar$e. Ross also getting flak but what other 33 year old THP in the 6N has to last 80 mins everytime? Where is Declan Fitzpatrick when we need him now?
I don't think much of the flak Ross is getting is necessarily personal; more a frustration from fans at the fact that Ross is, not only the best we have, but so far and away the best we have that it's quite frightening. None of that, however, should mask his limitations. Ross would seriously struggle to make the bench for any other team in the 6 Nations and that says it all, from where I'm standing. The frustration is that Ireland have been in a crisis at tighthead for six years; six years is a long time to be in that sort of crisis. I say six years, by the way, because that's the last time Ireland had two players capable of playing tighthead at international level. Neither Simon Best nor John Hayes were exactly world-beating options, either.

I don't think anyone is criticising McCarthy's tackling either, D4; what they are criticising is that his speed of mind suggests that he's not a serious international competitor. I think the frustration, over and above that, is that McCarthy isn't young, either. He's not a call for the future; he's a here and now selection and none of his performances for Ireland have suggested, either, that he's the best current option or the best option for the near future. McCarthy, by the way, was also quite close to the top of the tackles missed table and made a whopping one metre of ground...
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

McCarthy didn't win one lineout the whole game if you want to bring stats into it. This may be because we never threw to him but that's poor in itself.

I wouldn't criticise Ross as he has to play the whole 80 every match whilst his opposite numbers get rotated. Mind you he never looks the fittest to me.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

McCarthy is there for the grunt work which he does well.
We have Ryan, Heaslip, POM and SOB for jumping.
I don't have any particular brief for McC but I wouldn't be as crtical of him as some seem to be.
Mike Ross needs to be used more sparingly. I agree with Neil that we have had a major problem at THP for years.
Maybe this new Professional Game Board that's coming in shortly will change things?