Is this the end of Friday night rugby?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Is this the end of Friday night rugby?

Post by Rooster »

ulsterfleg wrote: Sky had there choice of the league games and choice to pick the highest rated 30 games which they were allowed to say as part of the deal the games would be played at a time to suit them.

Ulster have lost some Friday games which will now be played on Saturdays more games may follow dependent on who the final games left broadcaster is, BBCNI have no cash as they spent it all on Golf and are hoping for scrapes from the table ,Setanta and BT Sport have a few quid but may end up with the lower viewing figures games as Sky already have the good stuff sewn up.
Sky can only show 1 leg of say Leinster v Ulster so Ulster v Leinster is still available to purchase.

Some of the rest of your post is correct and some is urban myth, there is more to the BBC NI problem than money.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

ulsterfleg wrote:After some digging have discovered that BBC Wales have to show the rugby, no matter what the cost as part of the government Welsh speaking programs grant aid.
BBCNI do not get he same choice or financial aid even if they were to teach Jim Neily Irish.

Sky had there choice of the league games and choice to pick the highest rated 30 games which they were allowed to say as part of the deal the games would be played at a time to suit them.

Ulster have lost some Friday games which will now be played on Saturdays more games may follow dependent on who the final games left broadcaster is, BBCNI have no cash as they spent it all on Golf and are hoping for scrapes from the table ,Setanta and BT Sport have a few quid but may end up with the lower viewing figures games as Sky already have the good stuff sewn up.

Fixtures released so far by Ulster show that we have lost some Friday nights some league games will be Saturdays more to follow I suspect soften the blow maybe by not telling us post January...

Lets hope aunty beeb is good at begging.

PS Some of you may call Jim Neily gusher on here but I would like to see you do it to his face.
What golf did BBCNI spend on?
Moiraman
Novice

Post by Moiraman »

If Setanta win the right to Ulster games instead of BBC2NI then the following will be the results:
(1) Far less viewers in NI will watch Ulster home games - Setanta is only available on satellite platform and I can't see many viewers here subscribing to it even if they have satellite. Apart from their PL Saturday live games (which are geo blocked to NI viewers in any case) there is little else to attract viewers here to it.
(2) Viewers in rest of UK will be deprived of seeing the majority of Ulster home games as Setanta is not available outside of Ireland.
(3) Likelihood is that more viewers in ROI will watch Ulster home games via Setanta than in NI.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

ulsterfleg wrote:After some digging have discovered that BBC Wales have to show the rugby, no matter what the cost as part of the government Welsh speaking programs grant aid.
BBCNI do not get he same choice or financial aid even if they were to teach Jim Neily Irish.

Sky had there choice of the league games and choice to pick the highest rated 30 games which they were allowed to say as part of the deal the games would be played at a time to suit them.

Fixtures released so far by Ulster show that we have lost some Friday nights some league games will be Saturdays more to follow I suspect soften the blow maybe by not telling us post January...

Lets hope aunty beeb is good at begging.

PS Some of you may call Jim Neily gusher on here but I would like to see you do it to his face.
:scratch:

What golf comes out of BBC NI's budget?

Sky can't pick the highest rated 30 games. The rules don't allow them to do that.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ulsterfleg wrote:
I don't think many would prefix Nick Williams with 'Fat' either and if I'm talking to a poster at Ravenhill, I'll not all him by his or her uafc name either. Gusher has been Gusher for decades, it's not a pejorative term, it's just a name.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I wonder if BT sport could do a wee package for Setanta in NI...
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I am still not convinced that Ulster fans will gain by the introduction of Sky.

Hopefully their commentators / summarisers will have improved their knowledge of the Pro12 League and it's players which was generally appalling during ERC commentaries.

It may have escaped your notice that the Aviva followers were over joyed to have ditched Sky.

I don't doubt that from an overall league view it maybe a good move it is just from a parochial view point I feel the virtual 100% coverage from BBC Ni was good.
The commentators real are a side issue , only relevant if you have a picture.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

It's my understanding that Jim isn't too fond of the appellation, but like you say it's been hanging around him for absolute yonks, heck I was even speaking with my gran the other week and she was saying how she loved listening to Gusher!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Aird wrote:I am still not convinced that Ulster fans will gain by the introduction of Sky.

Hopefully their commentators / summarisers will have improved their knowledge of the Pro12 League and it's players which was generally appalling during ERC commentaries.

It may have escaped your notice that the Aviva followers were over joyed to have ditched Sky.

I don't doubt that from an overall league view it maybe a good move it is just from a parochial view point I feel the virtual 100% coverage from BBC Ni was good.
The commentators real are a side issue , only relevant if you have a picture.
I don't hink you'll get much of an argument on here.

The BBCni deal was great for UR, and in no small way contributed to the popularity of the game in the last few seasons.

The Sky deal (and to an extent any other deals struck this year) is for the good of the league as a whole and not one particuliar team. Therefore we lose out.

The only question remaining is - By how much?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Aird wrote:I am still not convinced that Ulster fans will gain by the introduction of Sky

The average PRL follower has shown a staggering tendency to follow what they are told is in their best interests by McCafferty et al. Personally I seriously dislike the BT rugby coverage, in no small part due to the fact that Austin Healy is one of their 'stars' and the upvc window salesman with his pet Irishman act, makes me want to kick something.

Ulster fans will gain little, Ulster Rugby have gained several season ticket holders that I know of.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

therealspratt wrote:It's my understanding that Jim isn't too fond of the appellation, but like you say it's been hanging around him for absolute yonks, heck I was even speaking with my gran the other week and she was saying how she loved listening to Gusher!
Of course he doesn't enjoy the nickname, a fairly embarrassing reminder of something I am sure he wished others would forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moiraman
Novice

Post by Moiraman »

Ulsters' fixtures confirmed up to Christmas but still no set date for match vs Dragons at home and no host broadcaster yet for majority of home games - http://www.ulsterrugby.com/Match/FixturesResults.aspx
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BuckRogers wrote:
therealspratt wrote:It's my understanding that Jim isn't too fond of the appellation, but like you say it's been hanging around him for absolute yonks, heck I was even speaking with my gran the other week and she was saying how she loved listening to Gusher!
Of course he doesn't enjoy the nickname, a fairly embarrassing reminder of something I am sure he wished others would forget.

What's this? What happened? Spill the beans.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Well....nah actually use your imagination you can't go to far wrong.

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

sounds more like pebbles on the pavement or a carrot painting
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist