We just lost to Edinburgh

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: We just lost to Edinburgh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote: Baggy - Any idea whether other team’s are also suffering attendance declines (ie the league generally) or are we the exception/more pronounced.

I am a bit surprised if it is just us as to be fair, the supporters generally see us win at home and whilst we all love to see great rugby, I suspect winning will get more people through the doors than anything else.

Of course for some people (ie more like posters on here) it will be apathy based on what the team produces away from home which is discouraging them from attending,
Bart, I can tell you that attendances vary, they have increased significantly in Glasgow over recent years and Embra is increasing too. Connacht too has seen attendances they could previously only dream about. Wales is a desert, has been since the recession first hit, their figures made more impressive than they should as all teams include the Judgement Day bonus crowd.

Mexico had hit a crap figure last season where if you looked at their league games at RDS, from memory the exact average was 12005. Munster was getting less than 10000 at Toemund a couple of years back, no matter what figures they published, now things are on the up again.

Italy I cannot be sure but whatever it is they were always on a low base.

Fact appears to be that a little success will bring the punters in, and abject failure sees them feck off in droves. And yes even Mexico, remember they have won the same number of trophies as Ulster in the last 4 seasons.

If you accept that, it's reasonable to assume attendances at Spanners will be under pressure next season. I blame Kiss for the rugby mess, I blame Logan for inaction for a long time, he seemed to get very involved with the lady's RWC and since then we've barely had an utterance, further, everything and everyone has a shelf life, Logan's is like a bottle of 2012 ketchup, it'll probably not kill you but it won't do you much good.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart, I don't think we can compare the team before FOLK folked and the last 2 games, those games have seen us trampled into the dirt in terms of injury. On some thread on Friday, I asked people to try naming a team from the fit players that will win games in the run in. A few internationals back may help, certainly, Stockdale can't get back soon enough but the season will be in tatters by then anyway.

BR has made the point a couple of times about the defence looking a lot different and I take his point that with the amount of possession Embra had, particularly in the second half, under FOLK's regime we could have been decimated.

If you watch Jono's BBC interview, its pretty honest stuff without any mumbo-jumbo, he hints very broadly that a few players will face a "WTF did you think you were doing?" waiting on Monday morning though he was more diplomatic, but one thing he could not fault and neither could I was effort, particularly in defence, concentrating more on things that should have been better at crucial times, decisions & skill. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43097918

I like Jono. >ECNF
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
shamalicious wrote:
Dave wrote:The whatsapp messages signify a complete and utter disrespect for women. It will be a somewhat unpalatable experience to see them wear the shirt again, should that opportunity arise. Time will tell.
I haven't commented much on the issue but this is close to where I'm at currently. Best case scenario, they're still little shits.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
No question at all about that Shammy, the only issue is are they guilty shits or innocent shits? I don't disagree Dave regarding the messages, however, what young lads may say to their mates is not always how they are.
Commenting only on the WhatsApp messages.
Youngsters today treat online conversations with the same casual attitude that my generation treated chatting among mates.
Back in the day, we all said things that were gross and ungratifying. Is there anyone on this board who has never made crass comment about a member of the opposite sex, or same sex?
The difference here is context.
1. The statements in question here are in the public domain because of a court case and are being viewed through the prism of a horrendous potential crime.
2. However, if the guys are found to not be guilty of a crime then they should be treated as if the case never happened, because there was no crime. Now we all know that some mud from this trial is going to stick irrespective of the verdict, because the first aim of the prosecution in this case was to sully the reputations of the accused in order to make the jury more amenable to accepting their version of events. Of course we are only getting the most salacious bieber-bits in the press so we're in no position to judge.
3. Anyway, if there was no crime, the context of the messages changes dramatically from being callous gloating by a rapist or rapists to being a bit of iffy banter between young fellas after a night partying.
So really we don't know what we're talking about. We all need to hold our water and allow the Judge and Jury to do their unenviable jobs and advise we the people when they're done.
So I'm done 'til they're done.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Bart, I don't think we can compare the team before FOLK folked and the last 2 games, those games have seen us trampled into the dirt in terms of injury. On some thread on Friday, I asked people to try naming a team from the fit players that will win games in the run in. A few internationals back may help, certainly, Stockdale can't get back soon enough but the season will be in tatters by then anyway.

BR has made the point a couple of times about the defence looking a lot different and I take his point that with the amount of possession Embra had, particularly in the second half, under FOLK's regime we could have been decimated.

If you watch Jono's BBC interview, its pretty honest stuff without any mumbo-jumbo, he hints very broadly that a few players will face a "WTF did you think you were doing?" waiting on Monday morning though he was more diplomatic, but one thing he could not fault and neither could I was effort, particularly in defence, concentrating more on things that should have been better at crucial times, decisions & skill. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43097918

I like Jono. >ECNF
Calls a spade a spade. Sounds like he actually has a notion about the game. Strange for an Ulster coach

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Dave wrote:
ColinM wrote:
shamalicious wrote:
Dave wrote:The whatsapp messages signify a complete and utter disrespect for women. It will be a somewhat unpalatable experience to see them wear the shirt again, should that opportunity arise. Time will tell.
I haven't commented much on the issue but this is close to where I'm at currently. Best case scenario, they're still little shits.

But what if all the yutes are little sh!ts?

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
Nope
What if it's actually not the boys who are the real bad wee shîts?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Bart, I don't think we can compare the team before FOLK folked and the last 2 games, those games have seen us trampled into the dirt in terms of injury. On some thread on Friday, I asked people to try naming a team from the fit players that will win games in the run in. A few internationals back may help, certainly, Stockdale can't get back soon enough but the season will be in tatters by then anyway.

I like Jono. >ECNF
May only have been a simple mistake but at 2.10 of the interview Jonno refers to Stewart as Cairns, reminds me of a previous post where someone alluded that Gibbes only dealt with the forwards, that backs and forwards didn't train together and that academy lads didn't train with the senior squad......or maybe I'm just reading too much into it, on the subject of Cairns unless injured he should have been playing instead of Busby.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Doesn’t sound like he is the verge of a nervous breakdown, and no business/life mantra sound bites......a bonus already. JG doesn’t look like a man who’ll start giving out contract extensions to daves. I’ve got a funny feeling pre season training under him might sort a few players out in terms of expectations.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

therealspratt wrote:I wonder how much damage has been done to the core in Logan's attempts to widen the appeal of the match day experience?
The band
They tried to play suftum at that final scrum
They have to go

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

scrum5 wrote:

I like Jono. >ECNF
May only have been a simple mistake but at 2.10 of the interview Jonno refers to Stewart as Cairns, reminds me of a previous post where someone alluded that Gibbes only dealt with the forwards, that backs and forwards didn't train together and that academy lads didn't train with the senior squad......or maybe I'm just reading too much into it, on the subject of Cairns unless injured he should have been playing instead of Busby.
He was thinking about where he’s going on holiday next season.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

http://www.the42.ie/hannah-bowe-esporti ... 0-Feb2018/

Please please please take this down before somebody with no brain and the purse strings at Ur reads it and decides to put a call in.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dharper wrote:http://www.the42.ie/hannah-bowe-esporti ... 0-Feb2018/

Please please please take this down before somebody with no brain and the purse strings at Ur reads it and decides to put a call in.
Wonder why the no.15 is the highest paid position in the pro 14? Image

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

So we're signing Aaron Cruden and Jerome Kaino then?

Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:

I like Jono. >ECNF
You haven't got your ear attuned to Kiwi Scrumptious, he was talking about John Cooney & referred to him as "Coons". Maybe he is not aware of the PC element's instance that Alf Garnett should not be quoted these days. :lol:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
scrum5 wrote:

I like Jono. >ECNF
You haven't got your ear attuned to Kiwi Scrumptious, he was talking about John Cooney & referred to him as "Coons". Maybe he is not aware of the PC element's instance that Alf Garnett should not be quoted these days. :lol:
Jackie did say he calls a spade a spade.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Just looked at Edinburghs fixtures.

5 of their remaining 7 fixtures are at home!