Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

volvo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:52 pm Hi Solids

Full match now on U tube :fleg: :fleg:
Full match now on where?

and no need to call him "U Tube". play nice.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Was impressed with JJ today. Wonder if he fancies another crack in Ireland when his contract ends. Always had the talent , maybe he just needed a bit more development outside munster.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Maybe the location of the early pens dictated the tactics, but it was nice to see us taking the points today.

A stark contrast to our last visit iirc.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:19 pm Was impressed with JJ today. Wonder if he fancies another crack in Ireland when his contract ends. Always had the talent , maybe he just needed a bit more development outside munster.
Always said that while in Ireland, it was Munster or no one. Tis why he left these shores when Munster didn't renew his contract - allegedly.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:41 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:19 pm Was impressed with JJ today. Wonder if he fancies another crack in Ireland when his contract ends. Always had the talent , maybe he just needed a bit more development outside munster.
Always said that while in Ireland, it was Munster or no one. Tis why he left these shores when Munster didn't renew his contract - allegedly.
With the six two split on the bench was there a scenario whereby Doak was going to out half if need be?

Having watched him at youth level he is more at home at 9 rather than 10 but has played out half for Ireland at age grade.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Hume was my man of the match. We have an absolute gem on our hands here. The take from a dodgy McCloskey pass for the line break that ultimately led to Timoney's try was spectacular.

Hopefully Bobby B's injury isn't too bad.

The pack put it up to them, it was great to see. Obvious issues in the scrum second half, Jack McGrath is going to need time to get the engine properly ticking over again but it'll come.

We have problems at 10 but for the first time in as long as I can remember we have 2 excellent options at 9.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

volvo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:52 pm Hi Solids

Full match now on U tube :fleg: :fleg:
Is it hiding? If so, where?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

We also have issues at tighthead. Below Marty Moore who I believe is playing the best rugby of his life, our scrum is creaking against the big teams. Tom O’Toole is great in open play but I’m not convinced he will ever be a great scrummager. And before you say “ he’s only young etc etc, he’s had more than enough experience, but is still getting opened up.
Marty “the man crush” Moore has been the unsung signing of the decade so far😘
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

JJ had chances at Munster and Northampton and could not establish himself as consistent first choice. May be a bit better than Billy right now but not what Ulster need.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:35 am
JJ had chances at Munster and Northampton and could not establish himself as consistent first choice. May be a bit better than Billy right now but not what Ulster need.
Agreed, not a bad player but absolutely no better than Mads. Just not sure where the solution lies but I Bryn I trust.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

StandUp wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:21 am We also have issues at tighthead. Below Marty Moore who I believe is playing the best rugby of his life, our scrum is creaking against the big teams. Tom O’Toole is great in open play but I’m not convinced he will ever be a great scrummager. And before you say “ he’s only young etc etc, he’s had more than enough experience, but is still getting opened up.
Marty “the man crush” Moore has been the unsung signing of the decade so far😘
I don't think there are much more sterner scrum tests in European rugby than Clermont away over the last few years, delighted Davit Zirakashvili has retired, he marmalized many an Ulster scrum.

As for Moore, he's held in very high esteem on this forum, would argue his play and work rate in open play is at least equal to O'Toole.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

StandUp wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:40 am
Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:35 am
Agreed, not a bad player but absolutely no better than Mads. Just not sure where the solution lies but I Bryn I trust.
Agree, don't think JJ would be the solution, believe he's very similar to Burns in that he is capable of outstanding performances but doesn't consitently do it. Out half is the only position in the backline I'd consider an NIQ.

I feel Lowry is much too big a threat now at full back and as a 2nd play maker in that position to consider him at out half.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

What age is Paddy now? Still a few years left to shine. Especially with either big Stu or Wee Stu outside him😉.
Without hope we have nothing👍
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I’d still like to see Lowry get a run of a few games at 10 at some stage in the next couple of months. We have other options at full back but very little at 10.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He’s had limited minutes at 10 but I don’t think Mikey has shown us much from that position at all to date.

He should have another good run at 15 now although losing our best wide defender (by the look of it) is not ideal.