Ulster v Edinburgh Friday April 21 7:35pm - Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Edinburgh Friday April 21 7:35pm - Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by justinr73 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:04 pm
MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:43 am I I thought Ritchie and Watson were possibly the two best players on the park .....
Hamish Watson certainly self-identified as the best referee on the park. Thankfully the duly appointed ref - the one in the yellow shirt - didn't understand Scootish and didn't hand over his whistle to let him get on with it.
Wee Hamish sounds like a posh English lad schooled at prep school and Oakham.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Edinburgh Friday April 21 7:35pm - Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Bart S »

On the other hand. Defence was muck again, particularly in the 1st half. Have to allow some latitude 2nd half given the huge reorganisation and being therefore exposed particularly on the wings. Against that, edinburgh were unlucky with 2 tries.

Biggest concern is the attack. Too many passes out the backline being flung to guys 10 metres back who get tackled after 5 metres , resulting in a net liss of 5 metres. Virtually no strike plays and no variety off 10. Too many usolated runners getting turned over . Can't afford to waste possession against better teams. Every week we're gearing how good the opposition defence looks - it's the ineffectiveness of ulster's attack also.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Oh and it was the 2nd game in a row where Milo didn't look absolutely dung. Mind you for Timoney's try he helped drive him over when he had pretty much already scored, having been watching beside him until then.

Tom Stewart was a lucky boy with a dirty football style challenge on someone as they were scoring one of the disallowed tries. Dan needs to have a word.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Burns.
Why oh why oh why?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:Oh and it was the 2nd game in a row where Milo didn't look absolutely dung. Mind you for Timoney's try he helped drive him over when he had pretty much already scored, having been watching beside him until then.

Tom Stewart was a lucky boy with a dirty football style challenge on someone as they were scoring one of the disallowed tries. Dan needs to have a word.
Probably as instinctual thing by Tom, as the ball was spilled, that I'm sure he immediately regretted.

Dan words are empty, if he doesn't want to be here and the players don't want him here. It's an issue.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:20 pm
Bart S wrote:Oh and it was the 2nd game in a row where Milo didn't look absolutely dung. Mind you for Timoney's try he helped drive him over when he had pretty much already scored, having been watching beside him until then.

Probably as instinctual thing by Tom, as the ball was spilled, that I'm sure he immediately regretted.

Dan words are empty, if he doesn't want to be here and the players don't want him here. It's an issue.
Some of them hate Dan so much that they decided to extend their contracts.

I've no doubt some players are disgruntled, but losing the dressing room is another thing.

I remember reading how when he was ulster, paddy Jackson couldn't stand Les Kiss. Funny how things turn out
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

What weekend are the QFs?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:08 pm
MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:43 am I I thought Ritchie and Watson were possibly the two best players on the park .....
Hamish Watson certainly self-identified as the best referee on the park. Thankfully the duly appointed ref - the one in the yellow shirt - didn't understand Scootish and didn't hand over his whistle to let him get on with it.
Nah, to me he sounds like the archetypal Scot.

Even though I was giving him plenty >seeya last night, I would gladly have had him in an Ulster shirt at any stage of his career, except possibly now.

Even getting past his prime though he's still a quare player.

Respect! :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:40 pm What weekend are the QFs?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Charlie 3's coronation weekend

5/6 May
I'm not arguing -
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:43 pm

Even though I was giving him plenty >seeya last night, I would gladly have had him in an Ulster shirt at any stage of his career, except possibly now.

I thought Ritchie was the gobby one. Good player and all but no idea how he is the captain of Scotland. The man cannot manage referees and always comes across aggressively, and acting like a petulant child. Even when you are in the right, or at least think you are, p!ssing off the ref is normally not the best policy.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bart S wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:14 pm Oh and it was the 2nd game in a row where Milo didn't look absolutely dung. Mind you for Timoney's try he helped drive him over when he had pretty much already scored, having been watching beside him until then.

That's one way of looking at it. Indeed how I looked at it until I watched the replay.

The correct way of looking at it though was that vd Merwe had spilled the ball and Stewart's best option of getting the ball away was to kick it, as he was perfectly entitled to do as it was loose.

I suspect that's how the officials looked at it too - perhaps after a second viewing if necessary?

On a point of pedantry, a player cannot "score" a disallowed try. :whistle:
I'm not arguing -
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:45 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:38 am
Lurgan Lad wrote:What changed for Stockdale, was it attending Ireland camp?
I think he has just had a consistent period of time to train, improving his strength and speed. With that comes the confidence as he sees things starting to happen for him on the pitch. Him and Bobby should be the most potent wingers in the league and we need to play to their strengths.
No runners showing for the ball to the inside of Burns most of the match yesterday (This is mostly down to Burns not directing enough), meaning Embra could push up and out and close down the space of the Ulster wide men.

The set-up of the Ulster attack isn't great ATM.
Al, genuinely what do you think has changed? Is it the loss of Payne and Peel? There is genuine talent, albeit disrupted by injury, but apart from the occasional "clicking" or individual moment of brilliance, we have been impotent as a back line. Take off our maul tries and .....
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:02 pm That it took several visits to the Ireland camp to improve Treadwell and Stockdale --says something --- I think
Rum they were given role clarity and works on by coaches they respect?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

So It Is wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:46 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:43 pm

I thought Ritchie was the gobby one. Good player and all but no idea how he is the captain of Scotland. The man cannot manage referees and always comes across aggressively, and acting like a petulant child. Even when you are in the right, or at least think you are, p!ssing off the ref is normally not the best policy.
Ritchie was a bit gobby, but as captain, he's allowed to speak to the ref (politely) and even ask for clarification of his decisions.

Hamish on the other hand, shouldn't have been near the ref. He was acting all Doakish! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bart S wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:27 pm
Dave wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:20 pm

Some of them hate Dan so much that they decided to extend their contracts.

I've no doubt some players are disgruntled, but losing the dressing room is another thing.

I remember reading how when he was ulster, paddy Jackson couldn't stand Les Kiss. Funny how things turn out
Couple of straw men there Bart lol. Coaches come and go- UR is like the Civil Service or Belfast City council ffs- Hotel California.

PJ- at £0.5m pa I'd like Les....