Connacht V Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

colind
Squire

Re: Connacht V Ulster

Post by colind »

For those like me who didn't renew Viaplay subscription (through Sky), I logged on to the app and was able to watch the earlier match.
Laptop set up for Ulster match and cabled into TV for a good nights viewing (apart from final result)
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:39 pm Am I the only one that thought the last pass for their 2nd try was blatantly forward?
I thought this as well
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:37 pm A shout out again for Shanners. Won't hear a word said against him from now on.
Shannersawordsaid

But apart from that, he did well - as he might - he's been around long enough so should have picked up some uselful skills.

Has always run a good line to back up a line breaker, as any decent 9 should.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:56 pm Didn’t Jake’s missed pen cost us the game?
Yes along with McCann, McIlroy and a ref who awarded 4 or 5 50:50 calls all on favour of the Westies in the 2nd half. Other than Flannery's missed kick and McCanns braindead pen, they both had cracking games.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Yes, the ref didn't impress me, but we still had the winning of that in our own hands and threw it away.

If we were to get the same ref at Ravenspan, he might go up in my estimate as a homer rather than mildly incompetent.

I've seen worse though - a lot worse - and maybe he just had an off day.

I wouldn't dream of blaming him for our loss.

(I might do it, but I wouldn't dream of it)
I'm not arguing -
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

There was fight in them, and that’s good to see. Hard to draw conclusions, McCann would have been MotM if we’d won, despite the dumb offside (and why didn’t someone tell him to stop chasing). Flannery great until he flagged, went within his shell again, completely went missing for Forde’s try and he was never going to get that kick, his leg was strapped and he was limping, either captain or coach needed to step in. McIlroy simply had to make that pass, they’d have practised that move a thousand times. However, that mental thing when Shanahan scored, we stepped back a bit, let them come at us and ultimately let a 17 point lead go, but at least we didn’t capitulate like in May. Munster is huge.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Marco wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:33 pm Munster is huge.
24,675 km2 (9,527 sq mi)

Just slightly more huge than Ulster - 22,067 km2 (8,520 sq mi)
I'm not arguing -
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:56 pm Didn’t Jake’s missed pen cost us the game?
I'd say McElroy's ridiculously bad pass cost us that game. Honestly that was as bad a pass as I've ever seen.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It was one of a number of things but let’s include them all.

In terms of that incident, was Sexton not spotted or just not trusted to catch it?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

HammerTime wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:17 pm
Yes along with McCann, McIlroy and a ref who awarded 4 or 5 50:50 calls all on favour of the Westies in the 2nd half. Other than Flannery's missed kick and McCanns braindead pen, they both had cracking games.
McCann and Flannery kept us in the game rather than lose it I'd counter.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:10 am It was one of a number of things but let’s include them all.

In terms of that incident, was Sexton not spotted or just not trusted to catch it?
McElroy had made up his mind for the miss pass despite the two man overlap which even Sexton should've been able to exploit. Lack of critical decision making and going for the spectacular rather than letting the simple overlap do its work.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Agree with the sentiment on here.

No shame getting a LBP in Galway, especially with the side we picked. Real heart and guts display in defence for 60mins, although started to tire towards the end.

It wouldn't be an Ulster game without a few brainfarts, and McIlroy's pass and McCann's offside top the list. I've had McCann on my sh!t list since his tackle attempt on Baird last season but fair play to him, he was an absolute beast (idiotic pen aside). Starting to finally see what all the hype is about. Sheridan looking strong again and our scrum was solid. Hume looking back to his best, which is great. Please dear God DMcF, start Sheridan next week, and don't drop him for no reason until April 24. A starting Ulster pack containing Ulstermen Big Licence, Stewart, Sheridan and McCann, against the Turnips would make me so happy after the last decade we've had to endure of Leinster cast offs and foreign journeymen.

But its another game that was there for the winning and we couldn't get over the line.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

AOC is looking a shadow of his former self in his two games so far. He was very poor in the 2nd half last night, missed a lot of tackles and looked slow and lethargic in general.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:07 am AOC is looking a shadow of his former self in his two games so far. He was very poor in the 2nd half last night, missed a lot of tackles and looked slow and lethargic in general.
Agree. Not like him. Usually posts a 6/7 performance consistently
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He didn’t play much pre-season for whatever reason.

181 caps. The bloke must be in bits by now.