Scarlets trilogy

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Scarlets trilogy

Post by Tender »

Soon
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

In the first one a lonely farm boy called Schalk leaves home to start a new life making sausages for the rebellion.
In the dark middle episode he discovers his real father is the evil Lord Nucifora.
In episode 3 he actually gets to play part of a match and lasts a couple of glorious scrums.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

And the Eagles could have carried him to victory at anytime.

Fin
J.R.R Deraless
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Tender wrote:And the Eagles could have carried him to victory at anytime.

Fin
J.R.R Deraless
The eagles could have been corrupted by the ring.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Them weren’t no ordinary Eagles, noooosirrreeee them thar was Mercan Eagles, as pure as the driven snow and as incorruptible as any God Fearing Mercan
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Some of them were more like merkins than Mercans
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

very late to this but my goodness some pretty dramatic over-reaction on this thread!!! I was actually reasonably happy - in a weekend when Cardiff and Ospreys were absolutely destroyed away, 29-12 away to Scarlets with that side isn't a bad scoreline. In terms of performance, not great, but not terrible - good first quarter, then 40 mins of physical defence (which I'll come back to), and a bit of stalemate in the final quarter.

On defence - sorry but I just totally disagree with anyone saying that we weren't physical / were dominated etc. We put up with a huge amount of pressure in our red zone, and actually did well on the close-in stuff - the problem there is that you can defend really well for 12 phases and then one slip and you concede a try (which happened twice in quick succession), the really great defences (thinking Ireland, Leinster, Wales, NZ) which can consistently soak pressure on the try line and prevent scores, are a level up. Th other 2 tries were down to system errors - poor spacing / reads for the Cassiem break, and poor read / realignment out wide. The "good" thing about both categories of tries we leaked is that they are both systematic, and therefore capable of being improved. It just takes time...

The big picture is that this is probably the template for all our away games this season - it shouldn't be a shock to anyone that with loads of newcomers and youngsters, a new coach and lots of legacy issues from poisonous & poor coaching and management, when we go away to decent sides who have been under strong, settled coaching tickets for years, we will struggle.

I don't count myself as someone who is naturally inclined to optimism (I'm an FD and spend a lot of time talking to my CEO about risks and downsides and generally raining on her parade :D ) but I am optimistic about Ulster - with caveats. I think the young guys coming through, allowing for the usual teething pains, have been really good (Kernohan, EOS, Hume, Baloucoune) and some IMO are promising to be absolute stars (McBurney, TOT, Lowry). Our internationals have just shown great form through the November series. Billy Burns is a good player - again sorry I just totally disagree with anyone saying he's useless - you could stick Barrett or Sexton in that side last weekend and they'll not look amazing. The caveats are the same as they have been for ages, we're very thin on quality resources in at LHP, second row and scrum-half, and while the academy seems to be improving, we really need it to deliver consistently for the next 2-3 seasons.

The bottom line is that all good teams - without exception (unless I'm forgetting anyone) - are formed over the course of several years with a settled core of players and coaches. Leinster's most recent incarnation is a good example - look back just to 15-16 season, out of the Champions Cup in the group stages (hammered home and away by Wasps 33-6 and 51-10!), beaten by Connacht in the Pro14, I remember lots of talk about how Cullen had to go, Leinster were heading the wrong direction, best days behind them, blah blah but 2 years later, a bit of smart recruitment (including Lancaster), settled squad of players, great coaching they're pretty much the best side in Europe.

So draughts of tighten-up syrup all round, find your stiff upper lips again FFS!! It might be a slow process with its fair share of downers, but things are getting better!
..one more thing
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Is the red zone a VIP area in Ollies?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

222toHounslow wrote:Is the red zone a VIP area in Ollies?
Yes - It's just passed the friendzone.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Columbo wrote:very late to this but my goodness some pretty dramatic over-reaction on this thread!!! I was actually reasonably happy - in a weekend when Cardiff and Ospreys were absolutely destroyed away, 29-12 away to Scarlets with that side isn't a bad scoreline. In terms of performance, not great, but not terrible - good first quarter, then 40 mins of physical defence (which I'll come back to), and a bit of stalemate in the final quarter.

On defence - sorry but I just totally disagree with anyone saying that we weren't physical / were dominated etc. We put up with a huge amount of pressure in our red zone, and actually did well on the close-in stuff - the problem there is that you can defend really well for 12 phases and then one slip and you concede a try (which happened twice in quick succession), the really great defences (thinking Ireland, Leinster, Wales, NZ) which can consistently soak pressure on the try line and prevent scores, are a level up. Th other 2 tries were down to system errors - poor spacing / reads for the Cassiem break, and poor read / realignment out wide. The "good" thing about both categories of tries we leaked is that they are both systematic, and therefore capable of being improved. It just takes time...

The big picture is that this is probably the template for all our away games this season - it shouldn't be a shock to anyone that with loads of newcomers and youngsters, a new coach and lots of legacy issues from poisonous & poor coaching and management, when we go away to decent sides who have been under strong, settled coaching tickets for years, we will struggle.

I don't count myself as someone who is naturally inclined to optimism (I'm an FD and spend a lot of time talking to my CEO about risks and downsides and generally raining on her parade :D ) but I am optimistic about Ulster - with caveats. I think the young guys coming through, allowing for the usual teething pains, have been really good (Kernohan, EOS, Hume, Baloucoune) and some IMO are promising to be absolute stars (McBurney, TOT, Lowry). Our internationals have just shown great form through the November series. Billy Burns is a good player - again sorry I just totally disagree with anyone saying he's useless - you could stick Barrett or Sexton in that side last weekend and they'll not look amazing. The caveats are the same as they have been for ages, we're very thin on quality resources in at LHP, second row and scrum-half, and while the academy seems to be improving, we really need it to deliver consistently for the next 2-3 seasons.

The bottom line is that all good teams - without exception (unless I'm forgetting anyone) - are formed over the course of several years with a settled core of players and coaches. Leinster's most recent incarnation is a good example - look back just to 15-16 season, out of the Champions Cup in the group stages (hammered home and away by Wasps 33-6 and 51-10!), beaten by Connacht in the Pro14, I remember lots of talk about how Cullen had to go, Leinster were heading the wrong direction, best days behind them, blah blah but 2 years later, a bit of smart recruitment (including Lancaster), settled squad of players, great coaching they're pretty much the best side in Europe.

So draughts of tighten-up syrup all round, find your stiff upper lips again FFS!! It might be a slow process with its fair share of downers, but things are getting better!
Great post Columbo!
Bo***cks to Brexit
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Columbo wrote:very late to this but my goodness some pretty dramatic over-reaction on this thread!!! I was actually reasonably happy - in a weekend when Cardiff and Ospreys were absolutely destroyed away, 29-12 away to Scarlets with that side isn't a bad scoreline. In terms of performance, not great, but not terrible - good first quarter, then 40 mins of physical defence (which I'll come back to), and a bit of stalemate in the final quarter.

After a second look at the match that is pretty much on the ball, young batch of lads who never give up right to the end, my only disappoint recently was the borrowing of Nagle, he is here for a few months then away while we could have been giving some other lad a chance to get valuable game time, anyone with realistic thoughts will know that the only real aim at the end of this season is back in the HEC next season.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

All fair points, Colombo. Most of us said at the start of the season that things weren't looking good and that we'd be happy with a season of mixed results, so long as a crop of young lads were brought on. Maybe this is what we're getting. We've had a decent result or two, held our nerve to squeeze out a few wins and this is one of the down days. I hope we can look for a better result on Saturday. So you're right, Col, let's not panic. :thumleft:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Posts made in the heat of the game are often OTT. It's easy to be critical well into the aftermath. I'm not sure which specific posts you are referencing so I'll take one for the team.

Some posts were bemoaning the defence but not all. There was a fair bit of resolute defending but some soft defending at times and a poor showing in the breakdown. There are other factors to consider.

The half-backs were not able to relieve any pressure. Unable to clear our lines. Box kicks were too short and too many aimless kicks that went to straight to their back three. Lowry went to 10 and tried a few chip kicks which were effective.

Poor handling gave the ball straight back to the Scarlets. The penalty count was far too. Marcell is looking like a penalty machine. He is not showing much intelligence on the field.

I think the scoreline flattered Ulster. If the Scarlets had not dropped a few on the line they would have put 40+ on the scoreboard.

I really hope this isn't the template.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Ah it's here !!!!!!

Heineken Cup week, back to back fixtures!

Boom! Boom! Boom!

>clapping
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

08/09 - Scarlets - Won home drew away
09/10 - Stade Francais Won at home lost away
10/11 - Bath Won home and away
11/12 - Aironi Won home and away
12/13 - Northampton - Won away lost at home
13/14 - Treviso Won home and away
14/15 - Scarlets Won at home lost away
15/16 - Toulouse Won home and away
16/17 - Clermont Won home lost away
17/18 - Harlequins Won home and away

Some great fixtures in there over the years!

Personal favourite was the Bath double (Nevs try), remember being at Northampton when big Dan punched the ball in the air after the he scored the bonus point try, only to be beaten at home the week after.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18