anthem row revisited :)

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

brianc
Warrior Assassin

Re: anthem row revisited :)

Post by brianc »

YoungMan wrote:I will never vote for a man who abandons the premium seat dwellers.
Couldn't resist an invitation upstairs, booze free, didn't get kicked out, all very nice :lol: Back to slumming it with premium seat dwellers next time. I hope this hasn't done my "close the terrace" campaign too much harm?
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

This really as the look of a Hack short of a story

phone laird --ask his opinion-- fill a column.

and it a subject which will fill the letter page for 3 or four days

reminds one the song

go'in to build me a mountain from a little hill
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

browner wrote:
HOWEVER, there are issues of parity of esteem to be addressed in respect of anthems at Ravenhill.
It recognises the partition of Ireland....parity of esteem, what does that mean?
Browner - I'm sure 'my learned friends' could muster a few hours of hot air attempting to tease out the meaning of ''parity of esteem'', especially if legal aid forms were waived under their snouts. However, for me the term sorta "does what it says on the tin" namely, according an object, concept, person ,or in this case anthems, equal status.

I have no desire whatsoever to give one iota of support for madcap pronouncements by Lord Laird, and equally so, have never had a problem standing for Amhran na bhFiann or parading behind the Tricolour when in the Republic. However, there does appear to be inconsistency in the IRFU's practice in this area. Is it is worth 'falling out about' or raising a massive fuss- NO!! DEFINITELY NOT !!
connachtfan
Novice

Post by connachtfan »

Does NI not have it's own Anthem like Scotland and Wales? Wouldn't it be kind of kitty singing the same Anthem as the English?
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

connachtfan wrote:Does NI not have it's own Anthem like Scotland and Wales? Wouldn't it be kind of kitty singing the same Anthem as the English?
It most certainly would be in my opinion. Especially when we have so much wonderful music and culture to draw upon here in Ireland. If the Welsh and Scottish can have their own identity and national pride, we certainly can as well. There is the Londonderry Air, a beautiful yearning tune and a perfect anthem.

Of course there is also Ireland's Call, which is perfectly adequate for the team. See no reason why any other anthem is required- in Dublin or Belfast- bar petty nationalism. We should concentrate on what unites us, rather than what divides us.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

connachtfan wrote:Does NI not have it's own Anthem like Scotland and Wales? Wouldn't it be kind of kitty singing the same Anthem as the English?
I think NI has used the Londonderry Air(Danny Boy) for the Commonwealth Games but doesn't have an official Anthem except GSTQ as part of the UK.England and Scotland don't have official Anthems either as England(sometimes uses Land of Hope and Glory, which I like as a song, or Jerusalem) uses the UK one also and Scotland have used Flower of Scotland since the 70's for sporting events much like us using Ireland's Call.Wales Anthem is official to the best of my knowledge.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Maybe if the IRFU handed out a joint along with yer ticket, then you wouldn't care what the feck was sang :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... nthem.html
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

notj wrote: We should concentrate on what unites us, rather than what divides us.

End of debate. :salut: :salut: :salut:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

"I must convey that we are annoyed by the fact that the French disrespected our anthem," blasted South Africa coach Peter de Villiers.

Speaking after the match on Friday, Bok vice-captain Victor Matfield said Dumisani's rendition of the anthem had taken some of the wind out of the Springbok sails just moments before a kick-off.
Probably lost the game because of it. :roll:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

cables wrote:
"I must convey that we are annoyed by the fact that the French disrespected our anthem," blasted South Africa coach Peter de Villiers.

Speaking after the match on Friday, Bok vice-captain Victor Matfield said Dumisani's rendition of the anthem had taken some of the wind out of the Springbok sails just moments before a kick-off.
Among others, the names Dusautoir, Picamoles and Harinordoquy were the reason they lost.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

cables wrote:

I saw a suggestion on mf.com that the IRFU should get Jedward to sing the S African anthem at Croke Park :lol: (.. however Tommy Bowe's name was also mentioned)
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

To move to a topic usually closely linke to the anthem debate.

The IRFU gets a lot of stick for their apparent inability to take an all-Ireland point of view on the Anthems debate, but I noticed that they had liberally spread thousands of green IRFU flags amongst the crowd at Croke Park yesterday. They deserve some regiognition and approval for making this throrougly sensible move. :salut: :cheers:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

pwrmoore wrote:To move to a topic usually closely linke to the anthem debate.

The IRFU gets a lot of stick for their apparent inability to take an all-Ireland point of view on the Anthems debate, but I noticed that they had liberally spread thousands of green IRFU flags amongst the crowd at Croke Park yesterday. They deserve some regiognition and approval for making this throrougly sensible move. :salut: :cheers:
Don't agree at all Paul.

They should face down the issue, they realise that flags and anthems are divisive and scrap them all. Penny ante gestures like handing out the right flag don't excuse the number of times they get it wrong. As an organisation, the IRFU does not recognise Northern Ireland. They permit the flying of the Union Flag at Ravenhill for Ulster games, but remove it for Ireland or Ireland A fixtures. The Tricolour flies over Lansdowne for every game.

Personally I think Laird is a plonker, but the reality of the situation is what it is. As far as the IRFU are concerned, NI does not exist.

Willie Drennan should get the gig for the anthems in Croker and he could sing the champ song instead of Ireland's call.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

anyone bothered by this? anyone get offended by this? anyone bothered that there was no God Save the Queen on friday, but there was Soldier Song on sunday?

if a player refuses to represent ireland then we might have something to talk about, but this isnt an issue, no-one gives a rat's ass anyway.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: Don't agree at all Paul.

They should face down the issue, they realise that flags and anthems are divisive and scrap them all. Penny ante gestures like handing out the right flag don't excuse the number of times they get it wrong. As an organisation, the IRFU does not recognise Northern Ireland. They permit the flying of the Union Flag at Ravenhill for Ulster games, but remove it for Ireland or Ireland A fixtures. The Tricolour flies over Lansdowne for every game.

Personally I think Laird is a plonker, but the reality of the situation is what it is. As far as the IRFU are concerned, NI does not exist.

Willie Drennan should get the gig for the anthems in Croker and he could sing the champ song instead of Ireland's call.

The cold hard reality is that the IRFU receives funding from the Republic of Ireland Government and this will mean they will have to toe the line in relation to the Tricolour and Amhrán na bhFiann, whether they want to or not.They don't have any such considerations when it comes to Northern Ireland.Not nice or right but this world is turned by money and political power.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.