South African second-row Johann Muller in Ulster switch

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: South African second-row Johann Muller in Ulster switch

Post by againstthehead »

great signing - we desparately need some bulk in the engine room. Not sure about signing another 8 - with Henry and Diack about??? Or can Rush play 6?

How about bringing reddan or stringer up to belfast?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Reddan, no way! Maybe Stringer.
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

notj wrote:Reddan, no way! Maybe Stringer.
imo reddan is a better player than stringer. Signing peinaar has now become a necessity or find another quality scrum halve somewhere
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

To be honest I'd probably settle for the flinger. Very experienced and free's up a NIQ spot.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

There is no way Stringer would leave Munster to move outside of Eire due to the professional tax thing, would he not lose out on the tax incentive if he were to move abroad?

We have to go all out for Pienaar now but I honestly can't see it happened, lets hope I'm surprised.

Rush would be a great signing due to it being a World Cup year and Ferris (possibly Henry as well) being rapped in cotton wool. The ireland players will be pulled quite a bit more I reckon and then we will need more bodies to cover the players away. Rush is a great player, he would give us so many options in the backrow.
Royster
Novice

Post by Royster »

I think Stringer would be an excellent signing for Ulster as he has a superb pass and quick delivery and we have the backs to exploit it. In the recent match against Ulster I thought that Stringer(and Dowling ) were Munster's best players because Stringer managed to nullify a lot of Ulster's advantage over the Munster scrum going backwards(along with the Munster back row) The main problem I can forsee is whether Stringer would fancy the move himself though I think he would have a better chance of resurrecting his Ireland place with Ulster, being first choice scrum half here, in a team on the up.He would be a massive help to achieveing the goals we want to see. I would certainly prefer Stringer to Blair.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Sounds great, we now have a decent looking front 8 and a reasonable back 6 just missing someone to pass the ball between the boys and the girls :roll:
If as reported Blair was worth 300k then Pineaar is surely worth another 100k on top for his ability to cover several key positions.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

imo we are nowhere near strong enough a FB - Cunningham and Smith is not enough, as big a worry as SH for me. Infact more so as we are at least doing something about SH
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Pienaar would really be the perfect signing in that he could play full back, outhalf and scrum half. His ability to play all those positions would be a massive asset for us. Like I said before, I can't see him coming but he would be an outstanding signing
Last edited by Windeos on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Is shifty staying or going or gone?

Flip, if we get Rush we have one hell of a pack! guys like brady, AK, caldwell, big ed, diack, rush and falloon won't even be in the starting 8!!!

Scrum half is the major position that needs covered. Boss was an unknown (to me anyway) before he came over so perhaps, if we're lucky, we can snap up another 'bargain' somewhere out there!

Just hoping that we don't see another high profile player, like Boss leave. If we can keep our current squad and bring in mueller, rush and another quality player then we could be in business next season!
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Think the most important bit from Stokes' 'exclusive' :roll: is that BJ is looking to stay on. You can't underestimate the effect he's had in the past 18 months. Right up there with the Reverend for me as one of our best signings.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

againstthehead wrote:Is shifty staying or going or gone?

Flip, if we get Rush we have one hell of a pack! guys like brady, AK, caldwell, big ed, diack, rush and falloon won't even be in the starting 8!!!

Scrum half is the major position that needs covered. Boss was an unknown (to me anyway) before he came over so perhaps, if we're lucky, we can snap up another 'bargain' somewhere out there!

Just hoping that we don't see another high profile player, like Boss leave. If we can keep our current squad and bring in mueller, rush and another quality player then we could be in business next season!
Well the main ones left to sign are Rory, TC, Paddy and Simon D; the first 3 won't go anywhere and Simon wants to stay as long as they give him a contract.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I would put the Rush money and the Boss money together and grind out a deal with Pineaar (If we are allowed to sign him) As Rooster says, if we don't have a quality 9, the whole thing breaks down.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Freddie Benson wrote:Think the most important bit from Stokes' 'exclusive' :roll: is that BJ is looking to stay on. You can't underestimate the effect he's had in the past 18 months. Right up there with the Reverend for me as one of our best signings.
Did that BJ leaving not start with that Brennan Bills, never was even hinted at by anyone here or dogs or birdys for that matter
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Freddie Benson wrote:Think the most important bit from Stokes' 'exclusive' :roll: is that BJ is looking to stay on. You can't underestimate the effect he's had in the past 18 months. Right up there with the Reverend for me as one of our best signings.
Did that BJ leaving not start with that ar$e Bills, never was even hinted at by anyone here or dogs or birdys for that matter
We all knew that was crap at the time. BJ is happy as a pig in muck here. I'd say he has had a big role in Muller coming here just like the Rev Kempson had in his signing.