Eng V Ire

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Eng V Ire

Post by Shan »

Very hard fought victory and fair play to Ireland for fighting to the end.

I agree with the MOTM for Heaslip who was excellent again today.He got through a crazy amount of work and still managed some classy touches.Followed closely by Ferris whose workrate was also brilliant and some of his tackling was outstanding.Wally also played his part and had his best game for a while.

I don't think any of our front 5 were particularly brilliant.Buckley did reasonably well when he came on.

TOL still too slow but a much better performance today and did very well for that final try.

Sexton did very well at times and will be pretty happy with everything but his goalkicking.ROG added a steadying hand when he came on and made some very effective tackles----eh did I say that?----yes he scragged a few guys before they had a chance to get going. >TH

D'Arcy and BOD were defensively outstanding.Not too much opportunity for them in attack but D'Arcy in particular had some very good carries and always got over the gainline.

Earls took his try very nicely and performed as well as you could hope for.Some defensive lapses when he switched to centre but some of tackling through the match was very good.Made one class break which was unlucky not to end in a try.He did well for his try and will remember this day for a long time.

Bowe back near his classy best and sniffed out two excellent tries.Took a couple of great catches on the run and was very solid defensively.

Murphy can be satisfied with his day.He really only made about 2 big errors all game and once or twice got some good forward momentum with his evasive running.His tackling leaves a lot to be desired but everybody knows this is a weakness in his game.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Like others I think againstthehead needs to watch the game again - the backrow were outstanding.

We have huge problems at 1,3 and 9 which is killing us and puts us comfortably behing the SH and France.
Court for me has to start - a better scrummager than any of the guys on display yesterday.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Defensively the backrow, like the rest of the side were outstanding but going forward, the backrow, like most of the side were pretty poor. Rarely did we break the gain line, recycle ball or get quick ball or any ball for the backline. Fact is, the only reason we won was that England coudn't convert a tonne of possession into points. That said, to win the game with BOD off the park, away from home is an excellent achievement in itself. As I said earlier, the level of intensity Ireland displayed was outstanding in defence but oh so limited going forward. On that performance, we'll get narrow wins over Wales and Scotland thus securing 2nd spot and a triple crown.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by againstthehead on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:55 pm

Rarely did we break the gain line, recycle ball or get quick ball or any ball for the backline. Fact is, the only reason we won was that England coudn't convert a tonne of possession into points.

We recycled the ball 39 times, turned England over 8 times (the done us once) and we broke the gain line twice as much as England did with half the posession they had. Its nothing to do with England not being able to convert their possession into points, they spent most of the match playing the ball in their own half!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

purely just out of interest, Ireland made 99 tackles, missing 1.
Does anyone know who missed the tackle?
I'm not looking at finger pointing, I'm just curious.
It would have been one hell of a stat to have finished with it being 100%.
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Samstew wrote:purely just out of interest, Ireland made 99 tackles, missing 1.
http://www.scrum.com/sixnations/rugby/match/94951.html

Stats show it to have been Healy who missed the single tackle. Ferris made 15 tackles :salut: (next highest was 9)
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

colind wrote:
Samstew wrote:purely just out of interest, Ireland made 99 tackles, missing 1.
http://www.scrum.com/sixnations/rugby/match/94951.html

Stats show it to have been Healy who missed the single tackle. Ferris made 15 tackles :salut: (next highest was 9)
thanks for that.
Most of Ferris's tackles were big hits too, very impressive :D
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

England's front 5 must have been very frustrated after that game with the amount of possession they won for their team. They were clueless on how to use it. Wilko was sitting way too far back and Flutey was totally anomynous, the only thing he did was trip BOD so that he fell into POC's path and got a knee in the head. Jonkson hasn't one notion on how to run a rugby team.

Ireland did well considering the lack of ball we had and to score 3 tries to 1 is a great result. Everybody in the team, unfortunately bar the 100 man Hayes, played well. O'Leary was improved from before, Sexton played well and the centres defence was awesome. Tommy was superb - what a finisher! Earls, despite his many detractors here, had one of his best games in a green shirt and Murphy while not tested much did all he had to.

Heaslip and ferris was immense, Wallace has had better games, 2nd row were good, and Healy had a good game too. Rory, despite being a "journeyman" (thank you Stephen Jones) threw in superbly and got about in the loose.
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

AndyB wrote: Rory, despite being a "journeyman" (thank you Stephen Jones) threw in superbly and got about in the loose.
When did that tw@t write this?
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

DHK wrote:
AndyB wrote: Rory, despite being a "journeyman" (thank you Stephen Jones) threw in superbly and got about in the loose.
This morning's Sunday Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... =12&page=2
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Re Earls His try was a typical wide wing try from close range and well taken too frequently the forwards close to the line get line greed forgeting their task is firstly to win the ball and then create space for their backs on this occassion they brought the English defence in field and Earls had the good sense to stand wide on the touch line and attitude did the rest

he made a beautiful break -- and then suffered team mate blindness and miss directed his kick ahead.

In field the kick ahead should be a grubber towards the touch line only on/from the wings should the kick be towards the posts.

that to me is Earls weakness he becomes unaware of his team mates around him .

But basically in many respects he and Bowe had very little to do Wilkinson didn't kick at the back three and any run and pass move was halted in the middle.
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
RedKC
Novice

Post by RedKC »

moondance wrote:
DHK wrote:
This morning's Sunday Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... =12&page=2
He also says BOD was shaky after his knee to the head, that kind of makes the rest of the article lack credibility
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Have to say that Buckley may be a liability at scrum time, but he put himself about really well when he came on.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

bogboy wrote:Re Earls His try was a typical wide wing try from close range and well taken too frequently the forwards close to the line get line greed forgeting their task is firstly to win the ball and then create space for their backs on this occassion they brought the English defence in field and Earls had the good sense to stand wide on the touch line and attitude did the rest

he made a beautiful break -- and then suffered team mate blindness and miss directed his kick ahead.

In field the kick ahead should be a grubber towards the touch line only on/from the wings should the kick be towards the posts.

that to me is Earls weakness he becomes unaware of his team mates around him .

But basically in many respects he and Bowe had very little to do Wilkinson didn't kick at the back three and any run and pass move was halted in the middle.

Thought he did very well and took his try superbly. He's got a degree of confidence which is really pleasing to see.

I know a lot of people on here thought that Trimble should have started ahead of him, but i think DK's selections were all pretty much vindicated and Earls certainly deserves to start against the welsh.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

bogboy wrote:Re Earls His try was a typical wide wing try from close range and well taken too frequently the forwards close to the line get line greed forgeting their task is firstly to win the ball and then create space for their backs on this occassion they brought the English defence in field and Earls had the good sense to stand wide on the touch line and attitude did the rest

that to me is Earls weakness he becomes unaware of his team mates aro
und him .

Jamie Roberts too didn't look to pass after a breal on Friday night