Edinburgh v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Re: Edinburgh v Ulster

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

"The Edinburgh game is huge now because we really don't want to slip into a slump of form, losing away to Biarritz (no matter how disapointing a second half performance it was) is hardly the end of the world in terms of results but we need to get back on the right track asap, therefore I can't see there being much tweaking with what McLaughlin sees as his best available XV."

Couldn't agree more but I would like to see willie back at 7, which we might see due to injury. Admittedly I know very little about gaston but my preference would be for McCrea if danielli doesn't recover in time.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

I think its safe to say McCrea is well out of the loop with Spence and Darcy making the bench ahead of him yesterday!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

2010-2011 Season to date.JPG
2010-2011 Season to date.JPG (96.61 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

fuzzylogic wrote:I think its safe to say McCrea is well out of the loop with Spence and Darcy making the bench ahead of him yesterday!
So whats the actual craic with McCrea then fuzzy? You were claiming that he'd discharged himself from all Ulster training a couple of weeks ago, until he was pictured, erm, training; then seen with my own eyes in the players section of the new stand last week, then playing for the Ravens at the weekend...

Wouldnt be surprised to see him around the squad in the absence of SD myself
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by ColinM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 am

So whats the actual craic with McCrea then fuzzy? You were claiming that he'd discharged himself from all Ulster training a couple of weeks ago, until he was pictured, erm, training;
Never said all training
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I didn't see the Edinburgh v Saints game over the weekend but I'd imagine that Embra will also be gutted after losing playing, by all account, some great attacking rugby.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Harold7 wrote:The Edinburgh game is huge now because we really don't want to slip into a slump of form, losing away to Biarritz (no matter how disapointing a second half performance it was) is hardly the end of the world in terms of results but we need to get back on the right track asap, therefore I can't see there being much tweaking with what McLaughlin sees as his best available XV.
Spot on H, we need to bust a gut to win in Embra & should play as strong a team as injuries and Deccie allow, another defeat would be a major blow, especially to confidence. :thumleft:

Mind you plenty of posters have pointed out that we have only played rubbish teams before Biarritz. I assume they think we only need to turn up to win?

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

mikerob wrote:I didn't see the Edinburgh v Saints game over the weekend but I'd imagine that Embra will also be gutted after losing playing, by all account, some great attacking rugby.
I watched it Mike and they did play some very unusual rugby for Edinburgh. In the first half they scored 3 tries which were all laced with loads of quality continuity - multiple phases with excellent passes and handling, plenty of imagination and lots of skill. Unrecognisable from their standard ML fare.

That said they were always struggling to escape the grip of Northampton's set piece and physical superiority. You never quite believed that they could hold Northampton off and they became increasingly unlikely winners as the 2nd half wore on.

All considered they were good without really threatening to win. If we play a power game such as was seen in the first half at BO we will blow them away - just as long as we don't blow ourselves away in the 2nd half.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

So, who's going over to Murrayfield to support the men in white in their hour of need, then?
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Might we not see Caldwell given another shot? I thought he was a little unlucky not to make the cut for the ERC games, and, sorry to say, I've been a little underwhelmed by Tuohy since he's come back... I'd certainly like to see McCrea get a cut, and it would be interesting to see Spence in the centre..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Anyone know where Craig Gilroy was at the weekend - wasn;t with the Ravens even though he has been a lot better form than Cocherane, McCrea, Gaston and Seymour for his club.

Any chance he went to France with Ulster?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Big-al wrote:Anyone know where Craig Gilroy was at the weekend - wasn;t with the Ravens even though he has been a lot better form than Cocherane, McCrea, Gaston and Seymour for his club.

Any chance he went to France with Ulster?
U20 Ireland training.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Red Hand Hero » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:42 pm

I'd hazzard a guess we'll see a team not to dissimilar to:

15-McIlwaine, 14-McCrea, 13-Spence, 12-Whitten, 11-Danielli (fitness dependant), 10-Humphreys, 9-Pienaar, 8-Diack, 7-Faloon, 6-Ferris, 5-Touhy, 4-Muller, 3-Botha, 2-Kyriacou, 1-Young
You would drop Trimble? Oour one back who looks like he can really break a line and threaten a defence?!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by Red Hand Hero » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:42 pm

I'd hazzard a guess we'll see a team not to dissimilar to:

15-McIlwaine, 14-McCrea, 13-Spence, 12-Whitten, 11-Danielli (fitness dependant), 10-Humphreys, 9-Pienaar, 8-Diack, 7-Faloon, 6-Ferris, 5-Touhy, 4-Muller, 3-Botha, 2-Kyriacou, 1-Young
You would drop Trimble? Oour one back who looks like he can really break a line and threaten a defence?!
There may not be an option to play him with Deccy's orders ?
RHH is probably on the right track with that side.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Are we just picking players or are we picking players to play a particular gameplan,ie do we want to play a 9 man game a 10 man game or a 15 man game,will we shove it up the jumper,or will we fling it out the backs,do we play it tight for the first half,and then open up the game in second half,or do we just close our eyes and hope for the best, :wink:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine