Squad for next year

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Harold7
Warrior

Re: Squad for next year

Post by Harold7 »

earl the beaver wrote:Need more than 5 props on the books, give Young and Cronin/Macklin contracts

We need more good backrowers, McComish has replaced TJ as the squad filler but with Ferris' injuries and international unavailability we can't afford to flog Wannenburg and Henry as we have done this season. Obviously need to be IQ but they need to be decent, Humph on the hunt in super 15 looking for flankers with Irish grannies?

Need cover at 9 and 10. I thought Porter was already on a development deal so he's there? Leinster have signed a 10 and look to be letting one of McKinley/Madigan go, we should try and sign McKinley up for a couple of years imo and let us ease Jackson in.

I'd imagine Luke Marshall will get a full contract as another centre.

Need more cover in the back 3, Gilroy should be on a full contract, Cochrane has apparently done well this season, bump him to development perhaps? Gaston likewise?
Is McKinlay originally from Ulster?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Academy players, how much do they usually get?
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

9 and 10 concern me. With ruan and paddy away for world cup, we're left with humph and marshall. Marshall isn't up to it and brings humph's effectiveness down at 10 with his passing and impetuousness. Don't think Jackson is up to it yet and haven't seen enough of porter to rate him. Have seen heaney a few times and looks promising but passes like marshall
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Why does everyone think Ruan will be going to the WC?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

eeyore wrote:9 and 10 concern me. With ruan and paddy away for world cup, we're left with humph and marshall. Marshall isn't up to it and brings humph's effectiveness down at 10 with his passing and impetuousness. Don't think Jackson is up to it yet and haven't seen enough of porter to rate him. Have seen heaney a few times and looks promising but passes like marshall
Guess it depends on what you define "it" as. IMHO he'll do a decent job overall against what will be weakened ML sides across the board during the RWC. I'd imagine a PM/IH combination will be stronger than what a lot of other teams will be able to put out during that period.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I think Marshall and Humphreys is certainly good enough for the RWC period. There are plenty of better scrum-halves than Marshall. I just doubt that any of them would sign up to sit on the bench behind Pienaar.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

If you look at Bryan Youngs twitter, he's pretty much confirmed he's leaving (as the FRU reported).
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

damianmcr wrote:Why does everyone think Ruan will be going to the WC?
I definitely think they'll take him. Not only is he a quality player in his own right, he has that versatility needed in a RWC squad being able to play at both 10 and 15 if necessary. With 40 odd caps he's hardly a gamble and he knows the systems and tactics the team uses. If he doesn't go it's madness. Madness I'd be quite grateful for, having him during the RWC, but madness all the same!
gpjmoss
Novice

Post by gpjmoss »

I think the squad is light in the backs - if this seasons has shown us anything, apart from a huge improvement over recent seasons, great promise for future seasons and possibly our over-reliance on Stephen Ferris, a combination of the RWC and a few injuries will leave the squad light from 9 to 15. The academy players have done a fine job, and will continue to improve, but they cannot be expected to maintain high levels for long periods of time. Another prop, back-rower (wouldn't Jerry Collins be a good short-term option......?!?! :wink: ) and suitable cover at 9, 10 and 12 will probably be required throughout the course of next season, particularly if we are to improve on this season's levels.

And we don't need more "squad" players. The difference RP has made this season on any number of occasions shows the value of world class players, players who make fewer mistakes when it really matters - still in my mind is D'Arcy's spilled chance against Northampton, which happened right in front of me! Young players will improve over the next two or three seasons but we also need some players to come in and do a job right here, right now, to at least help maintain the same level we are now pushing at. Where would we be this season without RP, to take one example - probably still improved compared to last season, but nowhere near a ML playoff place.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

damianmcr wrote:Why does everyone think Ruan will be going to the WC?
Thats just an astonishing question. Like others I'd be very happy should the ever quirky de Villiers not pick him but since he is amongst Ruan's greatest admirers (albeit as a 10) not much chance of that.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

gpjmoss wrote:I think the squad is light in the backs - if this seasons has shown us anything, apart from a huge improvement over recent seasons, great promise for future seasons and possibly our over-reliance on Stephen Ferris, a combination of the RWC and a few injuries will leave the squad light from 9 to 15. The academy players have done a fine job, and will continue to improve, but they cannot be expected to maintain high levels for long periods of time. Another prop, back-rower (wouldn't Jerry Collins be a good short-term option......?!?! :wink: ) and suitable cover at 9, 10 and 12 will probably be required throughout the course of next season, particularly if we are to improve on this season's levels.

And we don't need more "squad" players. The difference RP has made this season on any number of occasions shows the value of world class players, players who make fewer mistakes when it really matters - still in my mind is D'Arcy's spilled chance against Northampton, which happened right in front of me! Young players will improve over the next two or three seasons but we also need some players to come in and do a job right here, right now, to at least help maintain the same level we are now pushing at. Where would we be this season without RP, to take one example - probably still improved compared to last season, but nowhere near a ML playoff place.
Now sir, much as I agree with alot of what you say there are one or two things to be said. If you look at our 3 SA imports this year they have all added an immense amount even if it has taken a ridiculous amount of time for some to appreciate both Ruan & Pedrie. That said the fact remains that they came , not as first choice Springbok players but as "squad" players in the international field and as far as I recall Pedrie had become a squad player at The Bulls.

As regards Ruan it isn't too many months ago some eejits who I won't embarrass by quoting or naming, thought Small p was a better 9 and that Ruan was a waste of money!

Speaking of money, the main problem is that although we can compete against ML teams and I am informed English teams, the genuine "world class" players - front ranked internationals - will be going nowhere but La Belle France.

Further, the NIQ quota means we aren't able to look at 15 world class player even if we won the lottery. We need to keep developing players.

What of course would give us a major problem would be if Deccie had a "Road to Damascus" moment with Humph and took him to the RWC.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Ulsterscall
Novice

Post by Ulsterscall »

Don't ask me how it will work and whether it means there is some truth to the persistent whisper that Danielli will retire at the end of the season but there is still a strong belief in New Zealand that Corey Jane may yet sign for Ulster pre-world cup. As I said it doesn't seem possible within the current restraints of the system but watch this space!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Something up with this Cory Jane rumour, either we were after him but snapped up Payne or we are still going to sign him or Jane and his agent are getting his wages up by using us but one thing is sure is Jane is spreading those rumours himself as I have heard it from 2 different sources in NZ who have spoken to the man himself and he says he is heading this way.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re:

Post by againstthehead »

Rooster wrote:Something up with this Cory Jane rumour, either we were after him but snapped up Payne or we are still going to sign him or Jane and his agent are getting his wages up by using us but one thing is sure is Jane is spreading those rumours himself as I have heard it from 2 different sources in NZ who have spoken to the man himself and he says he is heading this way.
now rooster, don't you be getting my hopes up you scoundrel!!!!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

darkside lightside wrote:By my calcs we have:

FR: McAllister, Black, Afoa, Court, Fitz
H: Best, Brady, Kyriacou
SR: Muller, Barker, Tuohy, Stevenson, McComb
BR: Ferris, Diack, Wannenberg, Henry, Faloon, McComish
SH: Pienaar, Marshall
OH: Humphreys
C: Wallace, Whitten, Cave, Spence
W: Danielli, Trimble
FB: Payne, D'Arcy

Which is to say 30 full contracts confirmed..
So the big question is how many of the above are going to the world cup? Afoa, Court, Best, Ferris, Pienaar, Wallace, Spence, Trimble, Daniellijust a total guess and I'm sure somebody will correct me. That gives us 3 props, 2 hookers, 5 2nd row, 5 back row, 1 sh, 1 oh, 2 centres, 0 wings and 2 full backs. Tuohy could also play back row so I would suggest prop and in the backs are the areas with the least depth. I think I read we are going to have 33 full contracts, so Luke Marshall and Gilroy are probably gimmes, would the other be Gaston, Jackson or Porter? This is the purpose of developmental contracts, to expose younger players when required. The likes of Macklin and Whitten, possibly even Annett would cover the front row. Probably need Porter as OH is better covered with Jackson and Marshall able to play there, with Gaston, D'Arcy and Payne you would imagine all could play wing handily enough with Cochrane or McIlwaine as additional cover.